Contribute
Register

Re-vamp an old Mac Mini (2006 Core 2 Duo!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Mac Mini (early 2006)
CPU
Core 2 Duo 1.8GHz
Graphics
integrated
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello all, first forum post!

So I joined these forums because I'm looking for a bit of advice. I recently acquired an old Mac Mini (2006 Model, specs here).

It powers on, chimes and then flashes the folder icon at me which I'm pretty sure it means it just doesn't have an OS installed?

My question is, this little machine is so pretty looking I'd love to make some upgrades to it and breathe some new life into it! I remember seeing somewhere a while ago that the CPU can be upgraded to a 2GHz on with no configuration, can anyone confirm this? Also according to Apple the max OS this thing can run is 10.4

I'm pretty handy with hardware (I've built a Windows gaming rig) and played around with Hackintoshing before so I'm not scared to get the screwdrivers out and start opening it up!

Does anyone know what my options are here regarding upgrades/maximum OS? I know with an 8 year old box I'm hardly going to be rendering 4K video and comparing it to a Mac Pro but a little OSX web-rowsing machine sounds like a nice little project for me to get my teeth into :mrgreen:

Thanks in advance!

Thread moved from Desktop Compatibility

Web browsing is probably about it.
At everymac.com it says snow leopard but in 32 bit. 10.6.8
Dig around at that site it does have info on upgrading cpu in some early minis that have a socket not hard wired cpu.
I would not put much money in this or time.
You can get one that goes to Lion for about $145 or less.

Yes, drop in upgrade to a C2D 2Ghz. $12 on eBay.
Max RAM is 2GB $1.50 on eBay.

Look at iFixit for a nice teardown guide.

You can easily install Mountain Lion with MacPostFactor. In theory you can go up to Yosemite with MacPostFactor I think, but the graphics in the Mini are incompatible, so with no acceleration it's apparently pretty unusable. I'd stop at Mountain Lion.

https://youtu.be/BzuaTftYL-0

EDIT: LOL, didn't notice the date on this thread. Well, if anyone is in a similar boat two years later.....

Yes, drop in upgrade to a C2D 2Ghz. $12 on eBay.
Max RAM is 2GB $1.50 on eBay.

Look at iFixit for a nice teardown guide.

You can easily install Mountain Lion with MacPostFactor. In theory you can go up to Yosemite with MacPostFactor I think, but the graphics in the Mini are incompatible, so with no acceleration it's apparently pretty unusable. I'd stop at Mountain Lion.

EDIT: LOL, didn't notice the date on this thread. Well, if anyone is in a similar boat two years later.....

Hi! I'm in the same position! :)

Imac 1.1 core solo!

I will upgrade :
- cpu
- ram
- hdd

there is no possibility to ugrade more than mountain lion? :( :( :(

spn, follow these instructions ( http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,874.120.html ) to update the firmware on MacMini 1,1 to 2,1 (I have done it to quite a few). Add 4gb Ram, SSD, T7600 2.33 Ghz Core 2 Duo ($18 ebay). I am going to experiment with a mPCIe 1x to 16x lane extender to see if external GPU is possible.

spn, follow these instructions ( http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,874.120.html ) to update the firmware on MacMini 1,1 to 2,1 (I have done it to quite a few). Add 4gb Ram, SSD, T7600 2.33 Ghz Core 2 Duo ($18 ebay). I am going to experiment with a mPCIe 1x to 16x lane extender to see if external GPU is possible.

Any luck with eGPU?? I have done all of those upgrades with my mid 2007 Mac mini.

Without the eGPU whats the last comfortable OS it can run?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back