Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I've got a ga-z68a-d3h-b3 motherboard, i3, 4GB RAM, 1.5 TB 6GB/S drive (partitioned at 600GB for the boot partition), configured for AHCI & N210 Video Card (although I've tried without the card too & the same thing happens) & I'm installing Snow Leopard. SL installs until about 70% & the system reboots. I can then boot the system with the iBoot disc. I choose to boot to SL & it loads the OS. When I install the "Mac OS X 10.6.8 Update Combo v1.1" IT gets nearly complete & the system crashes EVERY time. I get the "GSOD" (Gray screen of Death) telling me I need to power off my system.

It appears that I never really get the OS fully installed. It gets to about 60% & then reboots.

Any REAL help would be most appreciated.

Thank you VERY much for replying, however, I have an update on this problem.
When I watched the installation more closely, I saw that when it got about 70-80% of the way into the installation, the system just rebooted itself & never actually finished installing the OS. Therefore I never get to the point where I could use the "update helper".

Here's the hardware setup:
* Gigabyte GA-Z68A-D3H-B3
* Intel Core i35-2100 3.1GHz
* EVGA GeForce 210 1GB
* 4GB DDR3 Corsair RAM
* 1.5TB Seagate 6GB/S Drive
* Lite-On Super AllWrite DVD+/-RW

I've tried putting the HDD in a SATA V2 controller just to see if that might be a problem. That didn't help. I looked at the hardware page on this site & bought components right off the page.

Again, ANY thoughts, ideas or help would be greatly appreciated.

One last question: If I DID get SL installed does this motherboard have the "Sandy Bridge" Chipset? I'm not clear on exactly what that is/means.

I found another person on this site using the same motherboard as mine & he'd done a bunch of custom (read: COOL) stuff & got his to work. I did what he did & now I'm UP!!! Finally.

I'm having the exact problem you were and I am using the same motherboard. Could you give a little more detail on how you solved your problems or direct me to the other person you got info from?

Thanks

I'd be happy to...
First, come down from the ledge. Don't jump! :idea: We can fix this.

I read an article by (I think) TonyMacx86 dude himself, saying that if your first attempt at a build doesn't succeed don't get discouraged, just keep working at at. That gave me a bit of inspiration to do some searching on this site & since my installation was crap anyway, I figured I'd try some stuff & see what happened. I wasn't going to mess it up. I was ALREADY a mess.

That said, I found this link:
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=27291&start=10

THAT got me most of the way there, but I had to decipher things a bit & modify things a bit more. Here's a breakdown of what I did:

# Download & burn to disc the latest version of iBoot. Purchase the Snow Leopard 10.63 retail DVD. Download & save the Apple 10.68 Update & the Multibeast 3.10.1 on a USB thumb drive.

# Go to the DSDT database & find your motherboard's DSDT "DSDT H61M-USB3-B3", download it & save it to a USB thumb drive.

# Insert & boot to the iBoot disc & remove after it is loaded and insert 10.63 DVD, Installation begins, Partition Mac OS Extended Journaled.I used a 1.5TB drive, so I had to partition it. I partioned it as a 600GB boot partition & 900GB other partition.

# At Installation select customise and uncheck all options.

# Mine kept rebooting on its own at about the 70% mark.

# Reboot after installation with iBoot & select your Snow Leopard hard drive. Even though the installation WAS NOT successful continue as follows!!

# Your system will make it to the desktop. Remember, you're already hosed up, so you have nothing to lose. NEVER try these on a good system unless you know what you're doing. They ARE dangerous.

# Important: Open Finder & Navigate to "System//Library//Extensions/IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext". Right click and select "Show Package Contents".

# Then Open the "Contents" folder. Then Open the "Plugins" folder and move "ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin.kext" to trash

# Open a Terminal window & enter the following commands EXACTLY (These are dangerous on a good system, but our system is hosed up, so no worries here...) :

# Type: sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions

# Type: sudo kextcache -system-caches

# Type: sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel

# Restart system with iBoot & reload Snow Leopard

# I copied my Update & Multibeast to my 'other partition' on my hard drive, so it would be on my hard drive & be much faster.

# Run the 10.68 Combo Update from a USB and update will be done successfully!!! DO NOT REBOOT

# Rename your downloaded DSDT H61M-USB3-B3 to DSDT.aml and put on your desktop

# Run Multibeast 3.10.1 from USB (or the hard drive, if you copied it there)

# Select:
# User DSDT
# System Utilties-Repair Caches & Repair Permission,
# Audio, ACLXX HDA & Apple HDA Rollback,
# USB3 Nec/Renasas,
# Realtek Gigabit Ethernet,
# Bootloader- Chimera V1.4.1 r877.

# Once you've completed everything above, shut down your system. If you happen to have a 6GB/S hard drive that you switched from the white SATA port to the blue SATA port, you can put it back in the white port & it will work fine now.

# Your system should now be able to boot on its own!! & be fine. I'm still having a few minor issues with USB devices being recognized properly, but I think all I have to do to add support for things you might need & missed is to run Multibeast again & JUST choose the things one wants to add.

For example, I originally didn't select the "Gigabit Ethernet" device & my network didn't work. All I did to "fix" that was to go into Multibeast & choose the "Gigabit Ethernet" device it added the drivers & things worked immediately.

I hope this helps you & anyone else that might need it. It took me 2 weeks to get my installation to work. When I found that link above, it got me most of the way there within 1 hour! Then I fiddled around & got a little closer.

I'm a musician, building this system for my recording studio. My problem right now is that SL doesn't recognize my USB MIDI interface. My other Mac (Tiger) recognizes the same interface & loads the proper drivers for it. This system doesn't even know anything has been plugged in to the USB MIDI interface. It also didn't recognize another USB gizmo I loaded. The USB ports DO work though. Installations that load their own USB drivers seem to work just fine.

Any help or thoughts on this would be most appreciated. I'll probably try a few things & if I don't figure it out myself, I'll start a new thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back