Contribute
Register

Re: iBoot + MultiBeast: Install Mac OS X on any Intel-based PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus > Need full model name > See Forum Rules!
CPU
i5 > Need full CPU model number > See Forum Rules!
Graphics
9800GT
iBoot (supported) is halting for me for some reason. My bios is set to ACHI. I am using a USB-CD/DVD Drive

My System:
Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3 (F4)
Intel i5-750 Quad Core
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
PNY XLR8 VCG98GTEE1XEB GeForce 9800 GT 1GB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0
USB LG GP08NU20 Portable Super Multi Drive

Tried Both an IDE and a SATA Hard Drive (would ideally like to install on IDE Drive)

It boots and I see this screen:

Connected with IDE Drive:
Code:
Darwin/x86 boot v5.0.132 - Chameleon v r
Build date: 2010-02-11 01:50:09
4091MB memory
VESA v3.0 14mb (NVIDIA)
Press Enter to start up Darwin/x86 with no options ....
boot:

Then I swap disks and hit F5. Nothing Happens

Connected with SATA Drive:
Code:
Darwin/x86 boot v5.0.132 - Chameleon v r
Build date: 2010-02-11 01:50:09
4091MB memory
VESA v3.0 14mb (NVIDIA)
Use up/down keys to select the startup volume.

hd(0,1)

Press Enter to start up the foreign OS.

I swap discs and hit F5.. and it stalls

I belive my hardware is quite compatible and I figured this would be an easy install. I guess it could either be because I'm using the USB-CD/DVD drive, maybe a bios update? something with my video card perhaps?

any ideas gurus?

Bios Updated to the compatible F9 edition. Still problematic.

I saw something that looked like it said "cannot load mach_kernel"

Nvidia iBoot was the same, and looked to install the same video driver:
VESA v3.0 14mb (NVIDIA)

My load-screen is different than the walkthrough's screenshot-no apple smily head, no boot-cd image. Everything is command prompt style (no images).

Is it possible to install with only an IDE drive?

Thanks gurus!

sitchenko said:
Bios Updated to the compatible F9 edition. Still problematic.

I saw something that looked like it said "cannot load mach_kernel"

Nvidia iBoot was the same, and looked to install the same video driver:
VESA v3.0 14mb (NVIDIA)

My load-screen is different than the walkthrough's screenshot-no apple smily head, no boot-cd image. Everything is command prompt style (no images).

Is it possible to install with only an IDE drive?

Thanks gurus!

Could be that your iBoot was burned incorrectly- what did you use to burn?

EDIT: Your mobo is a P55A- which will not work with the current JMicron36xATA kext included in iBoot. We're working on a universal driver- but for now, you'll have to use SATA. :D

Please excuse any dumb questions as I am definitely a newbie. I have 2 questions:

1. Can you upgrade the BIOS to F10 (recommended in Tony's list for this board) from F3 without using Windows? At this point, I only have Mac OSX installed, I do not have a copy of Windows (coming) and I do not have a floppy drive so I cannot use QFlash.
2. This system will not boot from the SSD after completing the install using iBoot and MultiBeast. It boots just fine if I use the iBoot DVD and select Snow Leopard, however if I change the boot order to Hard Disk and remove the iBoot DVD it displays the message "Loading Operating System" and nothing further happens. Any suggestions?

Background:

Using the information provided by this site, I built the following system in the last couple of days:

GA-P55M-UD4 w/F3 BIOS
i7-860
G-Skill Ripjaws 4 GB DDR3-1600
nVidia Gigabyte 9800 GT 1 GB
OCZ Vertex 120 GB SSD
OSX 10.6.4

I followed the iBoot + MultiBeast instructions to the letter (you guys put together an incredible guide and resource --- THANK YOU!!!!). Everything worked perfectly up to the point of running MultiBeast after updating to 10.6.4. The only obstacles I encountered that were different than the guide is that after I updated to 10.6.4 and before I restarted, I had to start Multibeast several times before it would install as I kept getting an error and it would shut down. After trying to install it several times I eventually I was able to complete the install successfully. But I cannot get it to boot from the SSD. Any suggestions, recommendations...???

avnutz said:
Please excuse any dumb questions as I am definitely a newbie. I have 2 questions:

1. Can you upgrade the BIOS to F10 (recommended in Tony's list for this board) from F3 without using Windows? At this point, I only have Mac OSX installed, I do not have a copy of Windows (coming) and I do not have a floppy drive so I cannot use QFlash.
2. This system will not boot from the SSD after completing the install using iBoot and MultiBeast. It boots just fine if I use the iBoot DVD and select Snow Leopard, however if I change the boot order to Hard Disk and remove the iBoot DVD it displays the message "Loading Operating System" and nothing further happens. Any suggestions?

Background:

Using the information provided by this site, I built the following system in the last couple of days:

GA-P55M-UD4 w/F3 BIOS
i7-860
G-Skill Ripjaws 4 GB DDR3-1600
nVidia Gigabyte 9800 GT 1 GB
OCZ Vertex 120 GB SSD
OSX 10.6.4

I followed the iBoot + MultiBeast instructions to the letter (you guys put together an incredible guide and resource --- THANK YOU!!!!). Everything worked perfectly up to the point of running MultiBeast after updating to 10.6.4. The only obstacles I encountered that were different than the guide is that after I updated to 10.6.4 and before I restarted, I had to start Multibeast several times before it would install as I kept getting an error and it would shut down. After trying to install it several times I eventually I was able to complete the install successfully. But I cannot get it to boot from the SSD. Any suggestions, recommendations...???
avnutz,
Check out my blog: http://lnx2mac.blogspot.com/ as I address there your very specific questions.
You should have no issues with this build... It's almost identical to mine, except for the SSD.

Good Luck !
Lnx2Mac

Thank you, so much. I will update the BIOS per your instructions and post back here with the results.

Lnx2Mac said:
Check out my blog: http://lnx2mac.blogspot.com/ as I address there your very specific questions.
You should have no issues with this build... It's almost identical to mine, except for the SSD.

Good Luck !
Lnx2Mac

Lnx2Mac,

Thank you! By the way, the reason this build is similar to yours is because I modeled mine after yours and I read your recommended configurations before making my purchases. Again, thank you.

The boot problem appears to have been because of the old BIOS version. I upgraded to 10 using the method you provided and it now boots into OSX from the hard disk with no issues.

I do have a couple of new problems but I am sure these are likely configuration issues. If I boot from iBoot, my display is 1920 x 1080 and I can access my network and the internet. If I boot from the SSD my display is only 1024 x 768 (with no option to change it) and I have no access to the internet. When I installed Multibeast, I selected Easybeast. Did this install a config file that I need to change? What do you recommend?

UPDATE: The display, network and audio issues were because I did not select any kexts in Multibeast when I ran Easybeast. I deleted the /Extra folder, reran Multibeast, selecting Easybeast, SystemUtilities, and the appropriate kexts for Audio (LegacyAudio & HDAEnabler), Graphics (NVEnabler), Network (RealtekR1000SL) and now everything is working.

YES!!!! :thumbup: :clap: and handsprings of joy!!!

avnutz

avnutz said:
Lnx2Mac said:

Good Luck !
Lnx2Mac

Lnx2Mac,

Thank you! By the way, the reason this build is similar to yours is because I modeled mine after yours and I read your recommended configurations before making my purchases. Again, thank you.
:D :thumbup:

The boot problem appears to have been because of the old BIOS version. I upgraded to 10 using the method you provided and it now boots into OSX from the hard disk with no issues.
:headbang:

UPDATE: The display, network and audio issues were because I did not select any kexts in Multibeast when I ran Easybeast. I deleted the /Extra folder, reran Multibeast, selecting Easybeast, SystemUtilities, and the appropriate kexts for Audio (LegacyAudio & HDAEnabler), Graphics (NVEnabler), Network (RealtekR1000SL) and now everything is working.

YES!!!! :thumbup: :clap: and handsprings of joy!!!
:clap:

Normally, I prefer the UserDSDT method for having less kexts (Love Vanilla)...

Good Luck !
Lnx2Mac

I am interested in the UserDSDT method. I even tried installing it but when I rebooted I got scrolling pages of white text on black screens with errors. However, the OS did proceed to load so maybe there were no errors. I looked for information on how the DSDT works and how I should edit it but I could not find a clear guide so I reverted to following the path of least resistance. Is the pages of scrolling text normal when you install using a DSDT?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back