Contribute
Register

Re: CarbonCopy onto 2TB 4k disc from SSD Fails to boot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-Z170X-ULTRA GAMING
CPU
i7 6600k
Graphics
HD530
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Re: CarbonCopy onto 2TB 4k disc from SSD Fails to boot? (SOLVED)

I have been backing up my main ML install with CCC for years. Recently I swapped my backup disc for a WD Green 2TB drive. It is partitioned with one partition for my backup. If I try and boot from the back up it fails with a no entry sign? I can back up onto my old disc with no problems so it is obviously an issue with the SSD to 2TB disc with 4K sectors? Can any help me make this work as I really need a bootable backup?

This is booting using Chimera from either my SSD or Chimera on the 2TB drive... both ways fail.

Many thanks Orlando

Kernel Panic attached...

Attachments

• IMG_0533.jpg
    IMG_0533.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 381
Re: CarbonCopy onto 2TB 4k disc from SSD still Fails to boot? boot0 fix applied!

This is booting using Chimera from either my SSD or Chimera on the 2TB drive... both ways fail.

Many thanks Orlando

Sorry to make this clearer I have applied the boot0 fix - I know about 4k drives and boot loaders. Chimera is correctly installed on both my SSD and the 2TB drive. I can boot from either drive but the 2TB drive results in a KP. A clone made to an older drive boots effortlessly.

This seems to be an issue with the clone specifically on the 2TB drive?

You probably need AHCI patch. There is a timing issue that affects certain HDD/SSD.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/to...n-kernel-cache-used-only-with-some-disks-fix/

That is a fantastic link! I remembered reading it a while ago but did not relate it to my current problem :)

I used the UseKernalCache=no boot flag at she fired into life :) Thanks RehabMan your a star! I also passed you link on and it helped someone else.

I don't need to apply the ACHI patch as I only need to be able to boot into my clone to restore my SSD in event of a disaster to clone a copy of it and onto my SSD so the ACHI patch is unnecessary, I just needed a bootable clone which this now is. Sweet.

Peace

You probably need AHCI patch. There is a timing issue that affects certain HDD/SSD.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/to...n-kernel-cache-used-only-with-some-disks-fix/

I'm having a slightly different issue. I make a clone of my OS SSD onto a partition on my HDD. I'm sure to install a chimera bootloader onto the HDD partition. But when I either erase or remove my SSD, my computer won't even recognize the chimera bootloader on the HDD!?!?!!

This worked before when I was using my Sandisk SSD to clone the same partition onto the same HDD. This time I'm using a larger Samsung SSD, and it's a different system: 3930k Sabertooth x79... but I have no idea why it shouldn't work! Any ideas?

I'm having a slightly different issue. I make a clone of my OS SSD onto a partition on my HDD. I'm sure to install a chimera bootloader onto the HDD partition. But when I either erase or remove my SSD, my computer won't even recognize the chimera bootloader on the HDD!?!?!!

This worked before when I was using my Sandisk SSD to clone the same partition onto the same HDD. This time I'm using a larger Samsung SSD, and it's a different system: 3930k Sabertooth x79... but I have no idea why it shouldn't work! Any ideas?

Depending on the error you're getting could be boot0 error (see solution above), or could be that you didn't make your boot partition active.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back