Contribute
Register

Razer Blade 15 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Success(-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So… I guess that’s the moment I’m about to expose how much of a total newb I am ^^

What I’ve done here (after countless tests) :

- A fresh install of High Sierra 17G2208 with Rehabman’s Clover fork on a 100% formatted SSD. No Windows EFI or anything on it.
- Barely no config.plist editing as most features seems to work
- I’ve extracted / de-assemble original DSDT/SSDT, patched them as described in this thread: trackpad still doesn’t work, but battery does.. so I guess I must do something (partially) right, no ?
- Minimum kext files in EFI/Clover and L/E: most recent Rehabman’s builds and vettz500’s trackpad related ones. I’ve tried the un-edited ones before, also booted with and without AppleIntelLpssI2C.kext and AppleIntelLpssI2CController.kext (in S/L/E), as mentioned in other RBS thread.

Once again, I’ve tried everything to make it work (including what’s explained on voodooI2C’s doc/tutorial), without any success.

What works :
- Correct screen resolution, native brightness control / keyboard mapping from the get-go: yay !
- Wifi / bluetooth / Airdrop (I’ve swapped the original card for a Broadcom one)
- The touch screen
- Almost everything else I suppose ?

What doesn’t work:
- Trackpad :(((
- As far as I can tell, Sleep (but it’s not as mandatory to me, compared to the TP issue)

I have mixed results with Audio (but it’s a non-issue as I’ll use an external sound card most of the time).

So there are my files, hopefully it’s not too much of a mess.

Thanks a billion fellow hackintoshers!

I would recommend attempting to use my config.plist in the EFI folder I uploaded a few posts back. The most recent one, not the one from a few pages ago. That would get you more to where you need to be. It also had the correct patches in place to get audio working 100% if you use the AppleALC.kext from the AppleALC guide.

You're positive you used the Voodoo2IC kext from my folder and not the original? The original one doesn't have the modified IONameMatch to see the track pad.

I've ran into this issue once before and I ended up having to dump a fresh version of my DSDT and repatch it for it work, it was a weird bug.

Also since yours is touch screen, it's possible that there is different track pad being used, or maybe the touch screen is interfering with it.

Your issue also could be related to not having USB configured properly, maybe. Since the USB-ALL SSDT has the port for information for track pad and other internal connectors. That's a shot in the dark, but could be possible.

I would start by dumping a fresh DSDT and re-patching it. Install all the VoodooI2C related kexts to L-E and rebuild cache, just to make sure the texts are actually being loaded properly.

Also going off of your PR files, it's super interesting that you have brightness control working without SSDT-PNLF in the ACPI Patched folder. Something weird about that.

Thanks gentlemen.

Vettz, If I load your .plist, it totally messes up screen display and resolution, with constant glitches etc...

So that's an honest, genuine question here: why should I use a pre-set .plist (that seems to be tailored for this or that GPU model, if I've understood correctly) when I get native support of my GPU?

From what I've read in Clover's Wiki, I understand that clover will automatically generate a config.plist according to my computer, right? Is there a (simple) way to remove all the useless entries in that .plist ?

I've read the guide several times, and I suppose I did something wrong with the UHD 620 plist as I couldn't boot anymore. Had to reformat / reinstall once again, and I'm a bit wary of hitting that wall again I must say.

Regarding kexts in Clover or in L/E, I'm more confused as I'm becoming more informed (paradoxical, right ?) : is there any definitive list of kexts to put in Clover and another one for L/E ? Sometimes devs's instructions are either a tad too vague for the common-wannabe... or the absolute opposite of what I can read here.

Sorry to be "that guy" really, I just want it to work. At times, it feels so close! And yet...

Thanks again for your patience gentlemen, truely appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks gentlemen.

Vettz, If I load your .plist, it totally messes up screen display and resolution, with constant glitches etc...

So that's an honest, genuine question here: why should I use a pre-set .plist (that seems to be tailored for this or that GPU model, if I've understood correctly) when I get native support of my GPU?

From what I've read in Clover's Wiki, I understand that clover will automatically generate a config.plist according to my computer, right? Is there a (simple) way to remove all the useless entries in that .plist ?

I've read the guide several times, and I suppose I did something wrong with the UHD 620 plist as I couldn't boot anymore. Had to reformat / reinstall once again, and I'm a bit wary of hitting that wall again I must say.

Regarding kexts in Clover or in L/E, I'm more confused as I'm becoming more informed (paradoxical, right ?) : is there any definitive list of kexts to put in Clover and another one for L/E ? Sometimes devs's instructions are either a tad too vague for the common-wannabe... or the absolute opposite of what I can read here.

Sorry to be "that guy" really, I just want it to work. At times, it feels so close! And yet...

Hi @nilhartman, are you sure you have a 2018 blade 15? The configs we're using are for the UHD 630 which is probably why it's not working for you.

Also, clover won't generate a config.plist that's right for your machine. I hate break it to you but there's quite a bit of manual tuning involved to get it to work with each chipset and that requires lots of patience and reading. Been hackintoshing for years and I feel like I'm just scratching the surface.

Thanks gentlemen.

Okay I didn't realize that you were using the UHD 620. So what you need to do is find the platform ID number for Intel gfx on the config.plist that works for you and copy that into the one I provided. doing that should hopefully solve the graphics issue when using one of my config.plist
There are threads out there for the UHD620 and spoofing the Platform-ID. I'd link one but I'm in a bit of time crunch right now.

As far as using a pre-made config.plist, you should use it as a base to configure ypur laptop but you shouldn't be using it as an end all. Clover attempts to figure out what your computer needs, but it doesn't really work. You need to do a lot of editing yourself. So you really shouldn't rely on Clover for this.

When it comes to the kexts in Clover, you should only put kexts in there when you're testing things out, or just trying to get the system to boot. When you got everything figured out, you install them to library-extensions with Kextbeast. When your system is up and running no kext should be in the Clover kext folder.

Also when it comes to not being able to boot after changing something, all you should have to do is boot off of your flash drive. Unless you modify some major system file, you should always be able to boot your installation off of the flash drive. There shouldn't be any major system files being modified here that would cause this issue. Booting from the flash drive should be your Fail-Safe, you shouldn't have to re-install OSX.

Well, in my quest to get Audio over HDMI to work I have successfully enabled native audio on this laptop. VoodooHDA works, but it doesn't work all that well. Microphone didn't work, if the audio you're playing is too loud it would distort, speakers never got to full volume and it didn't automatically switch when you plugged in headphones.

All of those issues are solved with this, if anyone cares to use it.

Download the latest AppleALC Kext from here: https://github.com/acidanthera/AppleALC/releases
Install it to L-E. Rebuilt kextcache in terminal with sudo -i /

(If for some reason you're not using the Lilu kext, install it now, it's needed for this to work.)

Now either download my attached config.plist and use it (the easy way) to enable Audio or follow this to edit your own config.plist using XCode or PlistEditor.

First:
Check to make sure HDAS is renamed to HDEF (This should already be done, but double check)
Open your config.plist in Clover Configurator and in the Acpi section look in the patches and see if change HDAS to HDEF is there, if not click on List Of Patches and select HDAS to HDEF and add it.

From this point on use XCode or PlistEditor

Second:
Under Devices-Audio
Set Inject to Boolean and change it to NO

Third:
Under Devices-Properties add:
PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1f,0x3)
layout-id Data <1d000000>

I attached a screenshot of what it should look like after you make both of the above changes.

Finally, reboot and enjoy 100% working audio!

Currently still working on HDMI audio, have not gotten it figured out yet.

If anyone would like to know:
Our specific Audio Codec is ALC298 and the Layout-id number is 29.

Thank you for this, keep in mind that you have to update your Lilu to the latest also, or else the ALC will not be loaded properly.
Sound is great now :)

hi,I am Chinese, this is what I translated with google. I am very glad that you can use High Sierra. I am also a Razer Blade 15. I have already made the boot disk. At the time of booting, I just showed the Apple logo of the universe. Then it won't move. What is the reason? thank.

hi,I am Chinese, this is what I translated with google. I am very glad that you can use High Sierra. I am also a Razer Blade 15. I have already made the boot disk. At the time of booting, I just showed the Apple logo of the universe. Then it won't move. What is the reason? thank.

Before you continue make sure you don't have the PM981 ssd drive in the machine. If so, you'll need to replace with a different model. There are compatibility issues with that drive and OSX.

Before you continue make sure you don't have the PM981 ssd drive in the machine. If so, you'll need to replace with a different model. There are compatibility issues with that drive and OSX.

no, is PM961 ssd drive,MZVLW512HMJP-00000.

Is there any situation where the situation above or the prohibition symbol?

add -v,

Report an error:
Using reloc block:no,hibernate wake: no
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back