Contribute
Register

Razer Blade 15 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Success(-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes I changed the wifi, works perfect too. ! the blutooh works native with a kext.

Razer Blade comes with Intel 1560 that has Bluetooth 5.0 and it is faster than Broadcom BCM94352Z too. You don't mind?

Razer Blade comes with Intel 1560 that has Bluetooth 5.0 and it is faster than Broadcom BCM94352Z too. You don't mind?
Not really, if you do mind use windows.. :p

Anyone has the problem that the battery icon in the top bar doesn´t show the real percent?, so when you hide and show the percent gives you the real percent but not in real time. Any help?

Anyone has the problem that the battery icon in the top bar doesn´t show the real percent?, so when you hide and show the percent gives you the real percent but not in real time. Any help?
No "Problem Reporting" files attached.
Read FAQ, "Problem Reporting" again. Carefully. Attach all requested files/output.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/
Use the gen_debug.sh tool mentioned in the FAQ, that way it is less likely you'll omit something.

I'm trying to hack my 2018 RBS 13,3" i7-8550U. Genuine question: is the process identical/similar to hacking the RBS 15"? Yup, I'd rather ask something obvious than hitting walls endlessly...

So far, everything's working but the trackpad and brightness control, no matter what I try (and I've been trying for almos a week now). Now, I must say I've been sent a working SSD/EFI for the very same computer model (using most recent kext versions etc...)... prior to reading that thread. Lack of time and skills / knowledge has prevented me from patching DSDT from scratch, but I reckon I might end doing it anyway.

Do you think hacking the 17G2208 build would be more successful than the 17G65 one I've installed?

Thx !

Ps: I'd never thought hacking a laptop would be that difficult compared to building/setting a desktop hackintosh. Humbling experience :)

What do you mean? If you're on the 17G2208 build of High Sierra you will have sleep and brightness control. I explained it a couple of pages back. All you need to do to make them work is upgrade to the 17G2208 build of High Sierra and update your EFI and Kexts with the ones I posted a few pages back that explains how to upgrade to this build.

Sleep and brightness will probably never work with the 17G65 build. So if you're holding out for that, it will more than likely never come. Which I don't think anyone on this thread is still working with that build, since 17G2208 has native support for our Intel graphics card and processor without faking Kaby Lake ID's.

I'm trying to hack my 2018 RBS 13,3" i7-8550U. Genuine question: is the process identical/similar to hacking the RBS 15"? Yup, I'd rather ask something obvious than hitting walls endlessly...

So far, everything's working but the trackpad and brightness control, no matter what I try (and I've been trying for almos a week now). Now, I must say I've been sent a working SSD/EFI for the very same computer model (using most recent kext versions etc...)... prior to reading that thread. Lack of time and skills / knowledge has prevented me from patching DSDT from scratch, but I reckon I might end doing it anyway.

Do you think hacking the 17G2208 build would be more successful than the 17G65 one I've installed?

Thx !

Ps: I'd never thought hacking a laptop would be that difficult compared to building/setting a desktop hackintosh. Humbling experience :)
No "Problem Reporting" files attached.
Read FAQ, "Problem Reporting" again. Carefully. Attach all requested files/output.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/
Use the gen_debug.sh tool mentioned in the FAQ, that way it is less likely you'll omit something.

Thx !

If the hardware is as similar as I'm thinking it is, then you won't get brightness control working with the 17G65 build. I was not able to get brightness control working at all with the 17G65 build no matter what I tried, but brightness control works flawlessly on the 17G2208 (I actually updated to the latest 17G2307 build now).

As far as the trackpad goes, if the hardware is similar, you NEED to patch your own DSDT from scratch to make it work. In the link below to page 13 of this thread, I actually explain how to do it. But first get yourself the latest VoodooI2C + VoodooI2CHID kexts from here: https://github.com/alexandred/VoodooI2C/releases
Also get the latest Voodoo PS2 Controller from here: https://bitbucket.org/RehabMan/os-x-voodoo-ps2-controller/downloads/

(I know you said you already have the latest versions, but it doesn't hurt to double check)

Then follow the steps listed on my post on this page:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/razer-blade-15-high-sierra-10-13-6-success.256954/page-13

It's the 4th post down that I list how to get the trackpad working + DSDT Patching. See if those steps work for you.

Also, I'm with you on hackintoshing a laptop being more difficult than I desktop. I've done 5 desktops that went smoothly. Laptop is an entirely different animal. But it makes sense because we can't pick and chose the perfect hardware.

Last edited:
Hi @vettz500 I'm about to start hacking and wanted to know which version of osx would be best to go with at this time. I know you were able to get mojave mostly working but struggled with sleep. That's obviously necessary for a daily driver so would going with high sierra provide the most supported experience then? FYI, I've had some experience hacking the 2016 blade and also the XPS 15 but want to make sure I start off right before entering the fray. Thanks!

Hi @vettz500 I'm about to start hacking and wanted to know which version of osx would be best to go with at this time. I know you were able to get mojave mostly working but struggled with sleep. That's obviously necessary for a daily driver so would going with high sierra provide the most supported experience then? FYI, I've had some experience hacking the 2016 blade and also the XPS 15 but want to make sure I start off right before entering the fray. Thanks!

Actually what I was referring to not working great with sleep and screen brightness control is the 17G65 Build of High Sierra. Which is the latest version readily available to the public off of the App Store. There are a few different builds of High Sierra available, the one that works the best for the Razer Blade 2018 is the 17G2208 Build (Special 2018 MacBook Pro build) and the latest 17G2307 (Also special 2018 MacBook Pro build). Mojave actually works great on this Laptop also, I just chose to roll back to High Sierra because a few programs I use (Pro Tools & Waves) are not yet compatible with Mojave and they would not function at all in Mojave. Since those are the 2 things I use the most, I had to roll back until they release updates that support it.

If you want near 100% functionality my recommendation is:
High Sierra Build 17G2208 or 17G2307
Or the latest version of Mojave, but I tend to stay away from the newest OS for a few months, so App developers can catch up and release updates that make their stuff compatible. But then again, the audio world is always a little behind when it comes to updates, so you might be fine with going to Mojave right now.

In order to download the 17G2208 build you have to download this repo: https://github.com/munki/macadmin-scripts
Then run the installinstallmacos.py script on another mac, let it download the file. It will download it as a .dmg, but once you open/mount it you will see the InstallMacOS.app in the mounted file and you can copy and paste it into the applications folder so you can make a bootable installer with Unibeast of that specific build.

To get the 17G2307 build, you have to first install the 17G2208 build and then the 17G2307 build is available as an update in the App Store.

I also recommend disabling the APFS conversion on the installer and sticking with the HFS file system.

I think I'm going to do a full install guide/write up soon to help people out. I just need the time to do so lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back