Contribute
Register

Rayd's G4 Cube Hackintosh - i7 4790S - H87I-PLUS - GTX 1050 Ti - 2x 1TB SSD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, nice build. I have a question about the stock 338W power supply that comes with the apple G4 tower. Would it be suitable for a modern day PC setup with an overclocked 750 ti?

I guess it would depend on the CPU you have and accessories on it aswell, but as long as the output voltage matches the PC requirement it should be fine :)

Hi, I'm about to purchase a G4 Cube, so I've started to do some research. I know I would like a dedicated GPU in mine. How long is the PCIE extender cable you used? Also, what brand is it?

Update!

Since the announcement of the Pascal GPU support for OS X, i've purchased a GTX 1050 Ti SC to upgrade into the cube!
Since it has added 15W TDP demands over the 750 Ti SC i have at the moment, i've also decided to upgrade my PicoPSU to a 300W NanoPSU

Should be fun :)

Update!

Since the announcement of the Pascal GPU support for OS X, i've purchased a GTX 1050 Ti SC to upgrade into the cube!
Since it has added 15W TDP demands over the 750 Ti SC i have at the moment, i've also decided to upgrade my PicoPSU to a 300W NanoPSU

Should be fun :)

I look forward to seeing your updates on this, I myself have been tempted by the new Pascal drivers! Please keep us posted :)

Also, out of curiosity, which PCIe extender/riser cable did you use and how well has it held up? Are you able to get the full performance out of your graphics card while using it?

I look forward to seeing your updates on this, I myself have been tempted by the new Pascal drivers! Please keep us posted :)

Also, out of curiosity, which PCIe extender/riser cable did you use and how well has it held up? Are you able to get the full performance out of your graphics card while using it?

Just used the cheapest riser I could find off eBay; works perfectly
Full GPU power no problems :)

I'd love to see some pictures once you get it installed! I have a 1050ti in mine right now, but unfortunately the PSU on my unit just up and died before I could fully finish the build.

Update 5/4/17:
I have upgraded the PSU to a PicoBOX 300W
Removed the DVD-R drive (never used it)
Placed a 2nd 1TB SSD inside
Upgraded the GPU to the EVGA GTX 1050 Ti SC

Placement was tight, all went relaively smoothly
BUT.... I have no SOUND!

someone please help :'(

Audio always worked well over DP on the GTX 750 Ti, but now its gone, i've tried running all scripts from Tolda + multibeast but not working anymore :(

Last edited:
@rayd how are your temperatures in there? I have a very similar setup but ultimately had to drop the power consumption of the GPU to keep it from getting too warm/noisy

Perfect so far
GPU temp didn't go over 59C after 20 mins stress test

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back