Not open for further replies.
Thanks for you help so far! This is what I’ve ordered now:
  1. Fractal Design Define R5
  2. Corsair RM 650x Watt
  3. Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Designare
  4. Intel Core i7-6700K + Noctua NH-D15S
  5. Ballistix Sport LT 32GB Kit
  6. 2x Crucial MX300 525GB
  7. Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 Xtreme Gaming OC (GV-N970XTREME-4GD)
After zipb’s comment and some reading, traditional cooling makes more sense to me than water-cooling.
Hope the graphics card is fine – and it will run quietly. I think
it was a good offer (199 Euros).

Anything I missed?

Reactions: XQC
Don't want to hack this thread but would love to hear more about when one would require a separate gpu.

I've read about a bunch of people using the gpu built-in to the 6700, while others seem to think a separate gpu is required. Is a gpu required for Lightroom/Photoshop tasks? Does it help at all or is it just perceived to help?

Sorry again for the thread hack — I tried to PM someone, but seems I don't have enough posts!

I've read about a bunch of people using the gpu built-in to the 6700, while others seem to think a separate gpu is required. Is a gpu required for Lightroom/Photoshop tasks? Does it help at all or is it just perceived to help?
A dedicated GPU is not a requirement. But Lightroom uses hardware acceleration, its performance will clearly benefit from a powerful GPU, at least in the develop module – and only there. From Adobe’s Lightroom GPU troubleshooting and FAQ:
  • The Develop module is the only module that currently uses GPU acceleration. Commands and processes outside the Develop module aren't affected. For example, the commands for merging multiple images to create HDR files or panoramas don't use GPU.
  • Only the "Main" Lightroom window is accelerated. The "Secondary" window isn't accelerated by GPU.
  • Using more than one graphics processor / graphics card doesn't enhance performance.
CPU and adequate RAM have more impact on the overall performance of Lightroom/Photoshop.
Personally, I really dislike laggy UI. And I work with mainly with 36 and 24 megapixel RAWs.
I’m willing to spend more for a proper GPU. Counting on Adobe to improve GPU acceleration.

I’m not sure if there are noticeable differences for macOS technologies, like Core Animation, Core Image, and Quartz Extreme.

Last edited:
Will be upgraded for Mojave tomorrow:
  1. Fractal Design Define R5
  2. Corsair RM 650x Watt
  3. Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Designare
  4. Intel Core i7-6700K + Noctua NH-D15S
  5. Ballistix Sport LT 32GB Kit
  6. Samsung 970 Evo M.2 1TB
  7. 2× Crucial MX300 525GB → 1TB RAID 0
  8. Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970Sapphire Nitro+ RX 580 8GB
What’s the best way to do the upgrade to Mojave?

There is still Sierra running on the Crucial MX300. I’m planning to do a clean install on the new SSD.
I guess that will be easier than migrating from the old SSD.

Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB (GV-N970WF3OC-4GD)
I see you also switched to an RX 580. Any hints?
(Reading your threads …)

Last edited:
I was struggeling a bit, as I had an unfinished Mojave install hanging around on one of the old SATA SSDs.
Installing Mojave on the 970 Evo did not work as described in the guide.
After formatting the SSD in APFS it did work though.

Migrated my data after a clean install from the old SSD successfully. Deinstalled Nvidia drivers. Done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back