Contribute
Register

Random System Shutdown/System Crash (Solved)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Razer Blade 15 - Clover
CPU
i7-8750H
Graphics
UHD 630/GTX 1060 - 1920x1080
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Problem has been solved. The cause was a memory leak in VoodooI2C which eventually lead to all of the System RAM being used and the system freaking out and trying to shut down. Problem is fixed with the latest VoodooI2C Kext.

Razer Blade 15 (2018) Advanced Model
i7-8750H
Intel UHD 630/Nvidia GTX 1060
32GB RAM
2TB Samsung 970 EVO NVME
High Sierra Build 10.13.6 Build 17G3025

The Issue: After so many hours of use, the laptop will attempt to shut itself down, not matter what I'm doing on. The pattern seems to be every 4.5-5.5 hours (sometimes less) of use, I will be browsing the web or working in Pro Tools and all of the sudden the app I'm using will suddenly close itself, followed by other apps doing the same thing, then I will get an iCloud error message about a password issue. When this happens, everything starts to close down one by one for about 30 seconds, almost like it's shutting down. But after it gets to just the desktop, it locks up completely and gets stuck there, totally unresponsive and will stay that way until I manually reboot. It's also happened before while just sitting on the screensaver with no apps open. But when it does it at the screen saver, it just ends up at a black screen with backlight on. Sleep seems to slow this process down. If the laptop is put to sleep periodically throughout the day, it will last a day or 2. But as soon as it hits a full 4-5 hour of total use time between sleeping, this issue comes up, so it's not a thermal related issue or anything of that nature. I've woken it up from sleep and had this issue happen after 5 minutes of use.
I have no error message upon the next boot or any KP logs to go off of. It's like it never happened according to all of the system logs once I reboot the laptop.

What I know:
I know it's not a hardware issue because in Windows, this problem is non-existent. It will be on for days without any hiccups.
Have also confirmed that I'm not the only person with this laptop that has the same issue.
It's not app specific, at least not related to using a certain app at any given time.

What I have tried:
Switch to Mojave.
Clean install of High Sierra.
Clean install of High Sierra with no other apps installed.
Tried different versions of ApitoMemoryFix, removed various EFI drivers and used just what is needed to boot.
Updated all of my kexts to the latest versions and removed ones to only have basic functionality.
Repatched my DSDT and SSDT's with fresh versions from a Clover Dump.
Used a different config.plist that was more barebones the one I currently use (could probably strip it down more than it was though).
Removed ACPIBattery kext to see if it was a battery power reporting issue, no change.
Updated my BIOS to the most recent version.
Removed SSDT-USBX.
Removed SSDT-XOSI.
Removed SSDT-10-OptTabl.
(Those SSDT's have since been replaced after I concluded they were not the culprit).
Everything I attempted above resulted in no change or progress.

What I have yet to attempt:
Remove SSDT-PNLF.
Remove SSDT-UIAC-ALL.
Remove Battery patch from DSDT.
Remove Trackpad patch from DSDT.
Remove WiFi card to see if maybe it's a problem: Replacement card I installed was a: BCM94352Z (have my doubts about this because others don't seem to have an issue with this card)

Those are the last few things I can think of to try and see what the issue is.

Originally thought it was a WhateverGreen issue related to the 3 minute Black Screen upon boot up with the UHD630, but all the recent updates that has almost taken care of the 3 minute black screen has not made any changes this issue.

Attempting with a new NVME is kind of out of the question, at least for right now because the stock one that came with the laptop is not compatible with OSX and won't allow install. But I don't think it's an issue with with the NVME.

Problem reporting files attached.

Any help and advice is greatly appreciated to figure this issue out.

Attachments

• debug_21125.zip
    1.9 MB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Confirmed to not be:
SSDT-PNLF
SSDT-UIAC-ALL
Remove Battery patch
Remove Trackpad patch

I'm at a loss here.

Confirmed to not be:
SSDT-PNLF
SSDT-UIAC-ALL
Remove Battery patch
Remove Trackpad patch

I'm at a loss here.

Just to add: I can confirm that it's not WiFi. I have the same laptop and all the testing I've done was without the WiFi card installed. I also just asked another user on the main Razer Blade thread about their experience. We both use Samsung EVO 970 nvme drives, but he's using the EX920 from HP. This way we can rule out the drive without purchasing another one.

I might have the same problem as you guys, I got random crashes and the report indicate it's due to my ssd drive which is a 970 evo too.

Attachments

• debug_10977.zip
    3 MB · Views: 32
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back