Motherboard
Asus Maximus Hero IX
CPU
I7-7700K
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
  1. iMac
I am currently running High Sierra 10.3.6 and the system is pretty stable apart from one annoying issue.
If I add multiple tasks and put the system under load, it can sometimes just switch off.

For example, I had premiere pro open and then used Lightroom to export some images and whilst under load, the whole machine shut off. It's almost as if it's running out of ram and freaking out.

I'm running 16gb of ballistix sport and I have re-seated and reset the RAM but the problem persists.

Maybe overheating.
Maybe inadequate power supply.

Maybe overheating.
Maybe inadequate power supply.

Hey Pilgrim ,thanks for the reply. Yesterday it quit on me during editing, so when I restarted I used HW monitor and opened every app in my adobe suite and it switched off. The cores got pretty hot almost immediately, so looking at your first suggestion, I'm thinking that it might be the issue.

I'm using a H60 water cooler, as per the build spec, could you recommend something else to cool the I7 chip?

I'm using a H60 water cooler, as per the build spec, could you recommend something else to cool the I7 chip?
Sorry, no. I have no experience with water cooling - Try the forum Search tool (or Google).

Update on the power failure.

I had an RMA from corsair and they sent out a new PS, which seemed to fix the issue fr a short while, until it went back to shutting off.

I then changed the cooler to the Corsair H80i and that has fixed the issue completely, the CPU packages are not getting too hot now via HW monitor, so it was a heat issue after all.

The H60 cooler was the problem, as the backing plate stops the cooler pressing firmly enough on the CPU chip.

Okay scrap that, still having a power failure.

I'll nee editing in premiere and then all of a sudden it switches off. This is normally if I'm scrubbing the timeline.

Summary, replaced PS, replaced cooler, re-seated GPU and Ram.

Could it be the GPU? I've been considering losing the Nvidia card and moving to AMD.

Any help appreciated.

Sorry, no. I have no experience with water cooling - Try the forum Search tool (or Google).
Hi Pilgrim, just wondering if you can help. I'm still getting the system trip on me when I'm video editing. I have replaced the PSU which was RM650X to a new one, then moved to EVGA 850G2 incase it was a power issue.
Changed the GPU to Sapphire Nitro + Vega 64
Changed the pump from H60 to H80i
Added a further 16gb of Ballistix sport.

After all of this, it still trips? I'm thinking this is a software related, so I'm wondering if now that I have an AMD card, it's worth testing it on Mojave and seeing if it's OSX that's being dumb.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back