MSI Z97 Gaming 5
CPU
i7-4790K
Graphics
GTX 1070
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello.

Since i had an hackingtosh (2014 onwards) I always experienced random reboots from time to time, specially in extremely intensive situations, but in the latest 2,3 days I started having random reboots much more frequently even at minute loads.
For example today it must have crashed (instant reboot, no error screen) like 6 times, 3 of which while i was simply browsing and one time just after having rebooted after a previous crash.
Usually i used to get crashes 1,2 times per week and NEVER with reduced loads or just after having booted.

I have changed nothing, bios and software wise so I don't understand this new behaviour, which of course makes the computer unusable for my work.

Do you have any solutions to suggest?
Here is some useful info:

- OSX 10.13.6
- Nvidia Web Drivers (Last Version).
- MSI Z97 Gaming 5
- Intel Core i7 4790K 4 GHz, with OC GENIE automatic turbo boost (which always worked without issues)
- Nvidia GTX 980 4GB
- 32GB Ram G.Skill 2133 MHz
- No Nullcpupowermanagement kext installed (I have the Applepowermanagement option ticked in clover configurator, but I also tried installing nullcpudpowermanagement with multibeast but i still get the crashes)

Other that that I have no specific experimental or fancy things installed; I did a bare bones installation, just like always.

Any suggestions? I can't work with these crashes.
(The hardware itself is good, as i don't have these problems on my windows hard drives).

Have you tried reinstalling HS 13.6?
In the past I’ve had similar crashes and was able to get rid of them by replacing the kernel and prelinked kernel. I do a lot of testing with non Intel CPU systems and it requires custom kernels and fixes.

You may try searching rebuilding kernel caches, there is a great tool that rebuilds that and resets nvram as well.

https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/f...-cleanup-and-rebuilding-prelinkedkernel-tool/

Have you tried reinstalling HS 13.6?
In the past I’ve had similar crashes and was able to get rid of them by replacing the kernel and prelinked kernel. I do a lot of testing with non Intel CPU systems and it requires custom kernels and fixes.

You may try searching rebuilding kernel caches, there is a great tool that rebuilds that and resets nvram as well.

https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/f...-cleanup-and-rebuilding-prelinkedkernel-tool/

Well, I tried something and it seems to have been working (I didn't have any crashes for about 5 hours).
I reinstalled the NullCPUPowerManagement.kext with Multibeast and then i went inside clover and disabled the "AppleCPUPM" option.
This time, though, I also told clover configurator to forcefully load the NullCPUManagement kext each time, and it seems to be working now (fingers crossed).
Maybe clover needed that extra push to actually load this kext and didn't work properly without forcing that operation.

I'll now test the computer, if I won't have any crashes for a couple of days I'll just considered the issue solved, if not I'll investigate the solutions you provided.

Thank you very much, by the way.

No luck, it still crashes.
Is there a way to know what's causing the crash?
My PC is a bit old (4 years) and I'd like to know if this an OSX Configuration problem or if a piece from my computer is failing, because if I had to change something like the GPU would be mildly dramatic.
If i had to change mobo and processor it would be a catastrophe.

Whats crashing? Using CUDA with Adobe?
I work in lots of Adobe apps for many years. Adobe products suck mostly!
High Sierra has been the best and most stable to date.
I Know CUDA can cause problems, but some of the reboots occurred when I wasn't using any adobe program.

By the way I found Sierra to be much more stable than High Sierra.

I Know CUDA can cause problems, but some of the reboots occurred when I wasn't using any adobe program.

By the way I found Sierra to be much more stable than High Sierra.

Yeah? I was having nothing but issues with Adobe apps on Sierra. After I installed High Sierra most of them went away. Im using the most current CC Studio.

Also, I found the GTX 650 I was using more problematic than the GTX970 im using now. I would turn CUDA off for the 650 to add stability when rendering in Premier or AF.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back