Contribute
Register

Random reboot in OS X El Capitan | Gigabyte GA-Z170MX-Gaming 5 | Core i7-6700K Skylake

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte z170mx gaming 5
CPU
i7 6700K 4 GHz
Graphics
nvidia 950 2gb RAM
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Howdy all!

I have been having hell of a time trying to figure out why my new hackintosh build just decides to up and reboot on me. It only seems to happen when the CPU is tasked with a lot. So for example, saving a photoshop document, the dang thing quits on me. Same with adobe indesign. Sounds like adobe might be the problem, I don't know though. But, tasking the machine with other computing processes causes it to quit.

All hardware is fine, have run a ton of tests. I don't get any console output on the errors or else I would post that up. I dual boot windows 10, have run hardcore tasks on it to see if it would do it on that side, everything is fine, so this ends up being a software and hardware miscommunication on the OS X boot. I am out of ideas and can't seem to figure it out through my research. I hope this is an easy fix to get this machine stable, I will be using it as a work machine.

Could it be the GPU and nvidia drivers causing this? Since adobe uses GPU acceleration now as a feature? I haven't tried turning it off yet. Are there any bootflags that will help with the Skylake CPU?

I greatly appreciate any help and would love to provide anymore information you guys need to help me think through this. Y'all are my last resort.

Build specs:
Gigabyte GA-Z170MX-Gaming 5
Core i7-6700K Skylake
EVGA GTX 950 ACX 2.0
Samsung 850 EVO 500GB (OS X El Capitan 10.11.6 boot drive)

Seagate Barracuda 2TB (Data drive)
Samsung 840 EVO 256gb (Windows 10)
32gb DDR4 Vengeance CL15 RAM (2x 16gb modules)
RMi Series™ RM650i — 650 Watt 80 PLUS® Gold Certified Fully Modular PSU
Razer keyboard and mouse (hope those drivers aren't screwing with anything)

system definition of Mac Pro3,1

please let me know if you need anymore information from me. Thanks.

UPDATE:
So it looks like it is adobe products causing the problems. I am trying to disable nvidia for them right now to see if that will stop the crashing.

UPDATE:
Nevermind, that wasn't the issue, I am at a loss now, no idea how to fix this. I guess I will keep tinkering.

So after a ton of digging, it looks like the ethernet on the mobo and the kext I was using was causing the random reboots, it was conflicting with the IOkit process and causing kernel panic. I have an osx wifi card on the way, will report back to see if that has ironed it out. It's stable as of removing that kext from extensions and the clover efi.

adding patched dsdt.aml and ssdt.aml hoses the boot process, so I am leaving everything unpatched and seems to be working just fine.

nvidia is working well. I can't test with adobe products until the wifi card shows up so I can download.

I still deal with the same issues, I do agree it has to do with the ethernet kext... I don't have good wifi so I am stuck with dealing with the crashes. They "Only" Happen every day or so... #Autosave.

I haven't tried disabling my adobe products though, trying that.

I have a Z87x-UD5

So did you solve the problem? I'm getting random reboots as well and I don't know what to do.

I'm using Adobe products as well and it's vital for them to be stable, so I can work.

Did you re-run UniBeast for the Killer2200 NIC?

So after a ton of digging, it looks like the ethernet on the mobo and the kext I was using was causing the random reboots, it was conflicting with the IOkit process and causing kernel panic. I have an osx wifi card on the way, will report back to see if that has ironed it out. It's stable as of removing that kext from extensions and the clover efi.

adding patched dsdt.aml and ssdt.aml hoses the boot process, so I am leaving everything unpatched and seems to be working just fine.

nvidia is working well. I can't test with adobe products until the wifi card shows up so I can download.

How did you determine it was this kext? I have looked through the log, after it reboots, on the computer, but I can't make heads or tails of it.

I have random reboots as well on the Gaming 6 motherboard. I am usually trying to play an online game or doing something online when it happens and I never once thought about it being the network being the issue. It still might not be but I never get anything other than it rebooting and then I have to force quit app. Restart it again to unjam it. Sometimes happens numerous times before I get the game working.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back