Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte G1.Sniper
CPU
i3-6100
Graphics
RX 480
Hi, I swapped my Nvidia card for a MSI RX 480 4GB to upgrade to Mojave. But the experience has been extremely un-pleasant. I have installed a clean version of Mojave 10.14.6 and installed the supplemental update that came out a just a few days ago. I only installed "UEFI mode with Emulated NVRAM", default iMac14,2 definition, IntelMausiEthernet 2.2.0 and AppleALC (Lilu is installed along with this) using the latest version of MultiBeast and the latest version of WhateverGreen (1.3.1) from their GitHub page and installed it to /Library/Extensions using KextBeast.

Both my GPUs are identified correctly by my Hack verified using the Hackintool (screenshot below) but my system gets stuck randomly all the time. I could be watching the video and the screen would become unresponsive after which I cannot even move the mouse or use the keyboard though I can still hear the audio. It can happen with any program such as VSCode, Chrome, Photoshop, etc. Sometimes I put it on sleep and the system restarts while asleep randomly and the Console log always shows something related to the GPUs. I am attaching some log reports with this post.

I have stress tested the RX 480 GPU in Windows on the same hardware while playing games for long periods, watching 4k videos and putting it to sleep a lot of times and it never had any problems.

Can you guys please suggest what might be the problem here?
Thanks.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-08-17 at 12.02.55 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-08-17 at 12.02.55 AM.png
    28.6 KB · Views: 143
  • Screen Shot 2019-08-17 at 12.03.07 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-08-17 at 12.03.07 AM.png
    41.5 KB · Views: 119
  • Screen Shot 2019-08-17 at 12.05.09 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-08-17 at 12.05.09 AM.png
    174.9 KB · Views: 122
  • Screen Shot 2019-08-17 at 12.07.04 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-08-17 at 12.07.04 AM.png
    87.4 KB · Views: 127
Hey there, I'm having the same issue, audio keeps working, mouse catching up (jumping) within 3-4 seconds delay and freezes again, please let me know if you found a solution for this, RX480 with CPU 4790K (iMac Pro 2017 profile), using PCI Nvme adapter for M.2 support. same kexts setup like you as well...

Hey there, I'm having the same issue, audio keeps working, mouse catching up (jumping) within 3-4 seconds delay and freezes again, please let me know if you found a solution for this, RX480 with CPU 4790K (iMac Pro 2017 profile), using PCI Nvme adapter for M.2 support. same kexts setup like you as well...

I have found a solution to this problem. I dont think that iMac Pro 2017 profile will work with your current setup, that should be used when you have a Xeon setup as far as I understand. You will need to find the closest profile to your CPU gen. That should be iMac 15,1 if I am not wrong. Enable your internal graphics from the bios, set your initial display output to PCI-E 1. Use the latest version of whatevergreen and lilu and install them using Hackintool. Finally provide WhateverGreen with a headless ID for your integrated GPU.

All the details can be found here:
I suggest you take your time and read through these guides and try to follow along.

What I did:
I did a clean install of Mojave using Unibeast following the installation guide by tonymacx86, during the installation of Multibeast I selected the iMac 17,1 profile since I have a 6th gen Skylake CPU and that is the closest mac profile to my CPU gen, USBInjectAll, UEFI Boot with Emulated NVRAM . Downloaded the latest releases of Lilu, WhateverGreen and AppleALC from their respective Github pages. Installed these kexts using the method mentioned in the Idiot's guide mentioned above through Hackintool. Then I used the 19120001 headless id for the integrated Intel HD 530 GPU as suggested by Hackintool and by the intel framebuffer patching guide.
Now, I have been using my hack for the past 2 weeks without a single problem. No dumpgpurestarts and other weird hangups for me anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back