Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte
CPU
Intel I7
Graphics
G-force GTX 750 TI
I built my hackintosh (dual boot windows and mac) about a year ago and began using the mac boot all the time. The only time I booted into windows was if I wanted to play a windows only game for example.

The issue I have is that at random points the mac boot will freeze. I'll be doing any task on the mac and the whole thing will completely freeze. There is no particular program causing it and there isn't a certain time after boot that it happens. I could go for 3 months using the mac for 4 hours most days and not have a freeze, or I could be getting freezes after 15 minutes everyday.

The first few times i experienced the freezing I booted with only the essentials plugged into the machine (keyboard and mouse) and that seemed to fix it. I then plugged devices in as I needed them and once i'd plugged in a usb condenser mic I have it started to freeze again, so assuming the mic was the problem I unplugged it and it did stop the freezing. But then after a few months it started to freeze again. This time unplugging everything didn't solve it, and even with only a keyboard and mouse plugged in it still freezes. And at the moment the freezes occur extremely often (The mac will definitely freeze within an hour of use).

The windows partition works fine.

I used the tonymacx86 tools, unibeast and multibeast to install and manage the dual boot, and every time I searched my problem, similar issues came up with suggestions that you switch to clover. So i guess my first question, unless you know exactly what my problem is right now and can tell me how to fix it, is whether I can reinstall everything using clover, but keep all my data. (My operating systems and programs are on ssd's. 1 for windows and 1 for mac, while my data is on a hdd so I assume I could just leave my data hdd out of the equation and all the files on that will not be deleted, meaning I only have to backup or reinstall programs)

Obviously i'd like the problem to just be gone and for me to be able to use my pc again, so if I can avoid re installing everything, that'd be ideal. But I did create this pc, and use it in a way that I am prepared to start from scratch if I need to.

Hackintosh system specs:
Intel Core i7-4790 3.6ghz CPU
8gb of Corsair RAM
Nvidia GeForce GT 610 (Nothing special but it gets the job done)
Gigabyte Z97X-SLI Motherboard
2x 128gb Kingston SSD
2tb WD HDD

I apologise if I've missed any info, I'm quite tired at the time of writing this!
Thanks in advance for any help!

I built my hackintosh (dual boot windows and mac) about a year ago and began using the mac boot all the time. The only time I booted into windows was if I wanted to play a windows only game for example.

The issue I have is that at random points the mac boot will freeze. I'll be doing any task on the mac and the whole thing will completely freeze. There is no particular program causing it and there isn't a certain time after boot that it happens. I could go for 3 months using the mac for 4 hours most days and not have a freeze, or I could be getting freezes after 15 minutes everyday.

The first few times i experienced the freezing I booted with only the essentials plugged into the machine (keyboard and mouse) and that seemed to fix it. I then plugged devices in as I needed them and once i'd plugged in a usb condenser mic I have it started to freeze again, so assuming the mic was the problem I unplugged it and it did stop the freezing. But then after a few months it started to freeze again. This time unplugging everything didn't solve it, and even with only a keyboard and mouse plugged in it still freezes. And at the moment the freezes occur extremely often (The mac will definitely freeze within an hour of use).

The windows partition works fine.

I used the tonymacx86 tools, unibeast and multibeast to install and manage the dual boot, and every time I searched my problem, similar issues came up with suggestions that you switch to clover. So i guess my first question, unless you know exactly what my problem is right now and can tell me how to fix it, is whether I can reinstall everything using clover, but keep all my data. (My operating systems and programs are on ssd's. 1 for windows and 1 for mac, while my data is on a hdd so I assume I could just leave my data hdd out of the equation and all the files on that will not be deleted, meaning I only have to backup or reinstall programs)

Obviously i'd like the problem to just be gone and for me to be able to use my pc again, so if I can avoid re installing everything, that'd be ideal. But I did create this pc, and use it in a way that I am prepared to start from scratch if I need to.

Hackintosh system specs:
Intel Core i7-4790 3.6ghz CPU
8gb of Corsair RAM
Nvidia GeForce GT 610 (Nothing special but it gets the job done)
Gigabyte Z97X-SLI Motherboard
2x 128gb Kingston SSD
2tb WD HDD

I apologise if I've missed any info, I'm quite tired at the time of writing this!
Thanks in advance for any help!

You won't have to reinstall anything if you can do the conversion to Clover smoothly. In fact, if you are using the common boot loader settings for Chimera then you can use both booting methods at the same time. the difference is changing the type of boot in the motherboard bios between legacy(chimera) and UEFI(Clover). The only catch to this is if you need to load drivers, you can't install drivers you currently use in Clover. So don't put any drivers in Clover unless you remove them from your S/L/K first. Also remember to clear the kext cache. I run with the boot option to ignore kext cache since on a SSD it doesn't really make much difference and allows changes to take effect. It is nice you can use a different machine to run Clover Configurator, you just have to select the drive you need to work on, usb adapters to connect SATA SSDs to USB are cheap.

I did the conversion over a year ago, and it really sucked. Fortunately I had a second machine to work on it using a usb adapter so I could move the drive between systems. Once setup thought, the boot loader is in the EFI part of the drive, so I can boot the unmodified Apple created usb installer and install the OS just like a real mac. Since I use all compatible hardware, no drivers either. Was well worth the effort in the long run. It is wild, you get it tuned right and it works so nice! You can have machine that won't boot, change one little setting and suddenly it runs as good as the real thing.

Good luck!

You won't have to reinstall anything if you can do the conversion to Clover smoothly. In fact, if you are using the common boot loader settings for Chimera then you can use both booting methods at the same time. the difference is changing the type of boot in the motherboard bios between legacy(chimera) and UEFI(Clover). The only catch to this is if you need to load drivers, you can't install drivers you currently use in Clover. So don't put any drivers in Clover unless you remove them from your S/L/K first. Also remember to clear the kext cache. I run with the boot option to ignore kext cache since on a SSD it doesn't really make much difference and allows changes to take effect. It is nice you can use a different machine to run Clover Configurator, you just have to select the drive you need to work on, usb adapters to connect SATA SSDs to USB are cheap.

I did the conversion over a year ago, and it really sucked. Fortunately I had a second machine to work on it using a usb adapter so I could move the drive between systems. Once setup thought, the boot loader is in the EFI part of the drive, so I can boot the unmodified Apple created usb installer and install the OS just like a real mac. Since I use all compatible hardware, no drivers either. Was well worth the effort in the long run. It is wild, you get it tuned right and it works so nice! You can have machine that won't boot, change one little setting and suddenly it runs as good as the real thing.

Good luck!

Thanks for your response!
I know what you mean about changing one setting and solving what seemed to be a huge issue. I mean that practically describes what it is to install mac on a non official device!

It seems I might have to look into converting to clover then, I'll do it at a time where I have a lot of time free so I can afford for things to go wrong. I will need to do a bit of research before I take it on though, I've forgotten a lot of the hackintosh related content because my life got a bit too busy to be faffing around with this project and i seem to have forgotten quite a lot of it. Do you have any other forums you'd recommend me looking through?

I did build this pc with mainly supported hardware (or so the internet said) but there were a few things such as the graphics card which i just tried to see if it'd work (I had no idea if it was supported or not). But i guess the main thing i need to ask is as you use clover, do you find it works much more smoothly as lots of people online seem to be saying, and do you reckon it'd solve my issue, if of course i set it up correctly!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back