Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z270N-WIFI
CPU
i7-7700K
Graphics
RX 560
Recently I swapped my graphics and monitor to a Radeon 560 and a Apple Cinema display. After doing so, I'll get these random computer freezes, where I can move the mouse, but everything is entirely locked.

I haven't been able to figure out any particular cause. It seems to happen on even basic tasks like surfing the internet, then I just have to do a hard restart.

I'm running High Sierra. The latest Whatevergreen and lilu kexts are installed. The apple cinema display is going from a mini-display to display port adapter to the Radeon 560. And my system definition is iMac18,3. I assume it's something related to the graphics card, but I suppose it could be something else.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Or ways to troubleshoot it?

Thanks.

I have this too... But I'm using Radeon Deinit instead of Whatevergreen. My definition is iMac 13,2 and the OS is HS 10.13.3. My card is Asus Strix Rx 560 4Gb.

Any suggestions :(?

Last edited:
Did you experience the freezing before you switched to the AMD card.

As I remember, there's no freeze in 10.12.6. But I see that HS utilizes my card better than Sierra so I do the upgrade. But after that, there are random freezes here and there...

As I remember, there's no freeze in 10.12.6. But I see that HS utilizes my card better than Sierra so I do the upgrade. But after that, there are random freezes here and there...

It might not help, but worth a try, for my rx560 I use system definition iMac14,2 and Whatevergreen version 114 (if I remember correctly) so *not* the latest one which some people have had problems with. Also I set iGPU to Auto in BIOS that way it is basically off when the rx is detected.

:)

It might not help, but worth a try, for my rx560 I use system definition iMac14,2 and Whatevergreen version 114 (if I remember correctly) so *not* the latest one which some people have had problems with. Also I set iGPU to Auto in BIOS that way it is basically off when the rx is detected.

:)

Correct, I didn't have these problems before switching to AMD and a Cinema display.

I was on Whatevergreen version 114, and my system definition was iMac 18,3. I switched it to iMac14,2, but that didn't help. So I updated to the latest Whatevergreen and returned to iMac 18,3. I'm still having the freezes, randomly.

Hi. I had this problem with my 570. It happened mostly when opening the Photos app, although there were other times. The GPU driver crashed. Enabling the iGPU has made the issue go away.

Now I have the issue where apps start beach-balling, mainly safari, after waking from sleep. This is way less of an issue than the whole system freezing though. I hope it works for you!

IF RX560 previously need -rad4200 to prevent system random freeze issue, try change device ID to 0x67DF, use AMDEllesmereGraphicsAccelerator instead of AMDBaffinGraphicsAccelerator may help.

Clover FakeID method may also auto inject FB name, use ssdt or Arbitrary for ID injection.
upload_2018-4-26_17-34-16.png

It also enable AMD HEVC and AirPlay (without IGPU enabled), native supported by EllesmereGraphicsAccelerator in 10.13.4.

Hi. I had this problem with my 570. It happened mostly when opening the Photos app, although there were other times. The GPU driver crashed. Enabling the iGPU has made the issue go away.

Now I have the issue where apps start beach-balling, mainly safari, after waking from sleep. This is way less of an issue than the whole system freezing though. I hope it works for you!

So I enabled the iGPU, and unfortunately it still freezes up randomly. So I've disabled it once again.

Shuhung -- How do you use AMDEllesmereGraphicsAccelerator instead of AMDBaffinGraphicsAccelerator?

Thanks for the help!

Shuhung -- How do you use AMDEllesmereGraphicsAccelerator instead of AMDBaffinGraphicsAccelerator?

Just use 0x67DF1002 and do not inject FB name, I prefer to use Arbitrary for device-id injection, see previous attached png.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back