Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus Maximus X Hero
CPU
I7-8086K
Graphics
RX 580
Hi.
I have read a lot of threads about random freezes, and applied many solutions that were proposed there, with no luck.
I have a well working Hackintosh, iTunes works, photos work, photoshop works, full acceleration of course.
Cinebench gives great results.
I am now writing from this Hackintosh, on a 4K screen. Everything is fine, but it will freeze at some point.

The freezes come randomly, about 10 times a day, and are not linked to a task or another. I have stressed my GPU, and my CPU, I have stressed RAM, swapped RAM, changer RAM channels. No change.
I have been playing with clover for 3 weeks, no change.
I have changed SMBIOS to multiple models, no change.
I have a second SSD with windows, choosing to boot there from Clover boot menu, works like a charm. Never a freeze in Windows, which says my hardware is fine I guess.

A few weird things that may help find a solution :
- when the screen freezes, the mouse can move
- when the screen freezes, it sometimes goes back in time like 20 seconds and shows what I was doing then, but freezed.
- I have regular accelerations of my fans (and hardware monitor shows spikes in temperature) about once every 5 minutes
- I cannot boot with screens connected to my motherboard (igpu) because booting stops at about 2/3 unless I unplug GPU.

Can anyone point me somewhere I could try ?

Thank you very much already.

Attachments

• config.plist
    7.8 KB · Views: 130
Hi,
I'm experiencing exactly the same problems.
So far I found that on SMBIOS of iMacPro 1,1 the reezes or crashes are much rarer then let say on 18,3.
I've also noticed that those freezes have some connections to the GPU temperature cause it always happening when it's around 50 C. But don't know how to change the settings on Mac to keep the GPU cooler. Mac OS starts the fans when the temp will reach i think 53 C. I think that to high and GPU is simply to hot.
Even tough I've change the factory bios settings on Windows for the fans to start at 35 C, Mac OS is bypassing them and uses his own drivers and keeps the GPU hot :(

Hey.
My Mac does not freeze anymore. IMO, the settings for bios given by Stork are good, they should not be changed.

To solve my problem, I did a few things, and I believe you may be right about temperature.

1. I changed the position of the GPU. It was on a PCI bar close to the CPU, and I put it on the other PCI bar that's further from the CPU. It might be that the temp sensors are a little off. I don't know if anyone tested to compare, but I think temp was one of the 2 reasons my hack freezed.

2. Uninstalled Microsoft Office, and bought the new 2019 version. I can't say why, but I feel this was also generating freezes.

Try to change your GPU's position, and tell me if it helped, I am interested to know.

Hey,
Thanks for the tip. I've tried mounting my GPU to the other port but no difference whatsoever, I don;t have any Microsoft apps installed.
Could you share your EFI folder ? Maybe I messed up something with clover settings ? And are you using Final Cut Pro ? Working properly ?
Thanks.

Hi.
I use DaVinci resolve or Adobe Premiere, not final cut. (btw, DaVinci is free and very very good)
I am not in the same city as my hack this week, sorry. Remind me next week and I'll send it to you.

I can tell you having the latest versions of Lilu and Whatevergreen is mandatory, and updating all your kext anyhow is very important.
Also, try to not fiddle with Clover too much, I realized playing with it without knowing what I was doing was the worst.
Also, I identified my Mac as a MacPro since Mojave was installed, and it works nicely.

Mmmmh, apart from that, it will have to wait until next week sorry...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back