Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> Random Freezes but only in one of two users.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z270X-UD5
CPU
I7-7700K
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi all. I've had a very solid MOJAVE install running for a while now but this past week it started acting up. My system would freeze up while using. Image still on screen but no mouse movement, sound, or keyboard input would work. Would have to restart but it would happen withing the first 15 mins of logging into my user. I switched to an alt users and left it running for an hour with no isses. I booted in my main user in safe mode and also no issues. I could use some help narrowing down what could be causing the freeze in only one user and not while booted in safe mode.
Any suggestions?

Hi all. I've had a very solid MOJAVE install running for a while now but this past week it started acting up. My system would freeze up while using. Image still on screen but no mouse movement, sound, or keyboard input would work. Would have to restart but it would happen withing the first 15 mins of logging into my user. I switched to an alt users and left it running for an hour with no isses. I booted in my main user in safe mode and also no issues. I could use some help narrowing down what could be causing the freeze in only one user and not while booted in safe mode.
Any suggestions?
When you have a Non-Responsive Finder (Input devices like Mouse, KBD or Voice ) failing to work, to isolate the issue try:
Press and hold and then release, Windows(CMD)+ALT ( Options) +Shift and see from the popup what App is causing the issue.
This is similar to CTRL+ALT+DEL in Windows to open the Task manager and quit the Task that freezes the system.
You can select and "Quit" that App and then you need to find the cause of why that App is behaving that way.
That can sometimes be difficult.
This is a very skeletal outline of how to start figuring out the issue from the information you could provide.

Thank you for the reply. I'll elaborate. It isn't merely Finder than is unresponsive but the entire computer. Frozen. I can't attempt cmd+alt+shift because nothing happens. Is there some sort of crash log that may be able to help me find the culprit? I have no idea how to narrow down what's happening. My computer has frozen after 3 minutes of a reboot and sometimes as long as 30/40 minutes before freezing.

https://cl.ly/491092b1d444

Last edited:
Update: I have booted both from my windows 10 partition and from a usb-c ssd clone of an earlier version of my install and both work flawlessly. I have also booted to the MAC os Mojave SSD and to my secondary user account and have used it with no problems. I have run repair permisions on my Mojave SSD boot drive, and deleted apple.powermanagement pref files. I'm convinced something in my primary user is causing the issues. Does anyone have any suggestions on what the best way to troubleshoot that is?

So I found this file in MYPC/Llibrary/Logs/Crashreporter/CoreCapture in a folder with todays date, Not sure if it's related but also in my console system log I found this message right when my computer froze up.

Jan 22 15:07:44 The-George-2 com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.security.syspolicy[134]): Service exited due to SIGTERM | sent by killall[969]

Not sure if anyone is reading this but any feedback or ideas would be appreciated.

Attachments

• [2019-01-22_10,26,08.710686]-AirPortBrcm4360_Logs-002.txt
    632.4 KB · Views: 215
<SOLVED?> I don't think anyone read this thread but for the sake of anyone who might run into something similar I've been running my system all day with no lockups. I bought this app CleanMyMACX from the makers of an app I use a ton called Gemini 2 and used it to clean out a lot of system crud, preference files etc. (there is probably a way to do this manually) It seems to have helped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back