Contribute
Register

Random freezes and reboots when trying to update OC 0.7.4 to 0.7.7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your /EFI/OC/ACPI folder is lacking an SSDT-EC.aml. You should use a Generic SSDT-EC.aml if you don't want to generate a custom SSDT, using your system DSDT.aml and Corpnewt's SSDTTime python script.

Are you sure you need the USBWakeFixup.kext in your /EFI/OC/Kexts folder? Generating a Custom SSDT-EC.aml from your system DSDT.aml may be a better option.

This issue may be unrelated, but it is definitely worth investigating on your Z490 setup. As I read that the USBWakeFixup.kext was aimed at Z390 systems, which lacked an Embedded Controller.

Post a copy of your system DSDT.aml and let's see what can be done to remedy this issue.

Maybe try changing this?
A 4073.png

Well the Panic text definitely points the finger at the AMD GPU and it having a Power issue, which is causing the kernel panic/freezes you are facing.

Observations/questions:
  • You have the agdpmod=pikera boot argument in your setup. So that is not the issue.
  • You are running macOS Monterey 12.2, so the AMD drivers provided by Apple shouldn't be the issue either.
  • Your motherboard only has the one PCIe slot, so that shouldn't be an issue.
  • Is your RX5500 XT a 4GB, 8GB, Pulse, Nitro+, Overclock or combination of these?
  • Was the card bought New or Used?
  • Which PSU are you using?
  • Stupid question but, have you checked the power cables are fully connected to the PSU (if modular) and the power connector(s) on the GPU? With nothing loose or bent, deformed, pinched or damaged while being fed around the case and your ITX board.
-the Sapphire 5500 XT is the 8GB Pulse
-the card was bought used but in pristine condition and I have no issues with it using Windows
-The PSU is Seasonic Focus PX-750
-there are no stupid questions;) I will have another look but I'm pretty sure I plugged in everything correctly (again, no issues with Windows)

Your /EFI/OC/ACPI folder is lacking an SSDT-EC.aml. You should use a Generic SSDT-EC.aml if you don't want to generate a custom SSDT, using your system DSDT.aml and Corpnewt's SSDTTime python script.

Are you sure you need the USBWakeFixup.kext in your /EFI/OC/Kexts folder? Generating a Custom SSDT-EC.aml from your system DSDT.aml may be a better option.

This issue may be unrelated, but it is definitely worth investigating on your Z490 setup. As I read that the USBWakeFixup.kext was aimed at Z390 systems, which lacked an Embedded Controller.

Post a copy of your system DSDT.aml and let's see what can be done to remedy this issue.
Isn't SSDT-EC.aml part of the USBX.aml in my /EFI/OC/ACPI folder?

I don't really know how to use SSDTTime. I got the DSDT.aml from SSDTTime under Windows and when I load the DSDT.aml with SSDTTime under MacOS, I get the following:
1644083767829.jpeg

What am I supposed to do next?

I'll remove USBWakeFixup.kext and SSDT-USBW.aml as I have turned of sleep anyway :)

Thanks for your help! :)

Attachments

• DSDT.aml.zip
    49.2 KB · Views: 38
Select option 2 - This will search through your DSDT.aml and find the Embedded controller, it will then generate an SSDT-EC.aml which will be found in the Results folder, within SSDTTime folder.

You can do the same with each of the other options, except item 3, as that is for Laptops only.

you should end up with a Results folder that looks like this:

Screenshot 2022-02-05 at 18.15.08.png

With a number of custom SSDT's created from your DSDT.aml and three Clover & OC patches that work with the SSDT-HPET.aml. The SSDT doesn't work without the three patches being added to the config.plist.

Here is a copy of the Results folder I generated using your DSDT.

Attachments

• Results.zip
    6.8 KB · Views: 33
Thanks a lot! So I tried to generate the files myself and got the same result :)

Now I should replace SSDT-AWAC.aml,SSDT-PLUG.aml and SSDT-USBX.aml currently in my /EFI/OC/ACPI folder with
the generated SSDT-AWAC.aml,SSDT-PLUG.aml and SSDT-EC and remove SSDT-USBX.aml? Or do I keep SSDT-USBX.aml?

Note that I also have a SSDT-EC-USBX.aml file generated by Hackintool when mapping USB ports which I'm currently not using.

What about SSDT-HPET.aml+patches, SSDT-PMC.aml and SSDT-USBReset.aml; should I use these too as they are generated? They don't seem to be listed on OC install guide for Comet Lake and I never used them so far.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Yes, replace the SSDT's in your ACPI folder with the SSDT's you generated from your DSDT.aml.

Keep SSDT-USBX.aml.

Why didn't you use the SSDT-EC-USBX.aml from Hackintool? It is an amalgamation of the two SSDT's customised for your system!

I would hold off on the HPET, patches, PMC and definitely the USBReset SSDT.

You need to remember that the Dortania OC guides are a starting point for getting your Hack up and running. They are Generic in nature, as they have to cover so many different configurations.

There are a lot of post installation fixes that are not included in the Dortania guides, as it would get too messy. So they have minimised the guides, expecting people to add anything deemed necessary for their system as part of the post installation process.

OK, I will only use SSDT-AWAC.aml,SSDT-PLUG.aml from my DSDT and SSDT-EC-USBX.aml from Hackintool which I kept (was experimenting...), let's see :)

I totally get that OC guides are a starting point, I actually used their SSDT's on my previous hack, it's only with this rig and the issues I'm having with my graphic card that made me look a bit more in depth about DSDT/SSDT.

Everything is working ok now, except for this strange behavior that is driving me crazy. When I do a "cold boot" (after more than 20 minutes aprox. since my last complete shut down) the computer reboots just after the apple logo when the progress bar loads. Sometimes it reboots one or two times (generating a panic report), but it almost always needs at least one complete reboot after the logo to be stable except the odd case here and there where it gets to the desktop without an issue.

After that, no problem at all, all working fine, and I can reboot without a problem. But when I shut down the system for a period, it need again at least one reboot to work properly.

I bought the card (Sapphire RX 5500 XT 8GB) used on eBay and the seller confirmed that it had never be overclocked.

I don’t have the issue when booting Windows so I guess the card works properly and there must be something to tweak either in my BIOS or config.plist settings.

Attached are my EFI and BIOS settings if anybody has an idea on what to try next.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Archive.zip
    3.7 MB · Views: 27
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back