1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
  2. Other
I downloaded the combo update pack for 10.8.3, and installed on my hack, and ever since I have been having nothing but problems.

The system just seems to freeze randomly for no apparent reason, whether it is doing something or sitting idle, sometimes it can go for hours working fine, other times it can be as little as a few minutes, and then you have to remove power and restart.

On 10.8.2 it ran stable, no problems whatsoever, and sleep worked fine, now sleep just locks up the machine, and you have to power down, and restart to get it working again.

I have tried formatting and reinstalling 10.8.3 in full using unibeast, and at present, I just have a bare system with no apps loaded, and I am still having the same problems.

I have run memtest from a boot iso for about 8 hors overnight, and that showed no problems.

There are no crash reports or logs generated that I can find.

Motherboard is a Gigabyte H61M-D2H-USB3 with a sandy bridge core i3 2120 and 8gb ram running a standard sata hard drive.

Anybody come across this before or have any ideas as to what might be causing it ?

EDIT: nm - somehow NullCPU had been installed along the way

I downloaded the combo update pack for 10.8.3, and installed on my hack, and ever since I have been having nothing but problems.

The system just seems to freeze randomly for no apparent reason, whether it is doing something or sitting idle, sometimes it can go for hours working fine, other times it can be as little as a few minutes, and then you have to remove power and restart.

On 10.8.2 it ran stable, no problems whatsoever, and sleep worked fine, now sleep just locks up the machine, and you have to power down, and restart to get it working again.

I have tried formatting and reinstalling 10.8.3 in full using unibeast, and at present, I just have a bare system with no apps loaded, and I am still having the same problems.

I have run memtest from a boot iso for about 8 hors overnight, and that showed no problems.

There are no crash reports or logs generated that I can find.

Motherboard is a Gigabyte H61M-D2H-USB3 with a sandy bridge core i3 2120 and 8gb ram running a standard sata hard drive.

Anybody come across this before or have any ideas as to what might be causing it ?
I think I'm experiencing the same problem in 10.8.3 (random freezes and no sleep, but 10.8.2 worked flawlessly). However, I'm using a fairly different setup and an SSD.

There's nothing irregular in my console logs and no KP, so I've been at a loss.

In addition to the tests you've run, I've also tried to replicate the freeze with no luck (it's been random). And, I've noticed the system stops functioning completely (changing the volume on the keyboard makes no sound, the mouse cursor is frozen with no spinning ball).

I got my computer to sleep using Stork's method here:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/user-buil...ore-i7-875k-ga-5770-batmobile.html#post151655

To make sleep/wake-up work in my system I had to remove the following MultiBeast default kernel flag additions: GenerateCStates=Yes, GeneratePStates=Yes and darkwake=0 kernel flags from the /Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist file.

Puddled, maybe you can try that to at least restore sleep. (NOTE: You may have to hit the power button then the keyboard to fully wake your computer without "darkwake=0".)

I'm still getting the random 10.8.3 freezes though.

I'm not sure about the OP (puddled), but I suspect that 10.8.3 nvidia freeze is a different issue than my freezes. Here's a quote about that 10.8.3 nvidia freeze:

I will get a functional mouse cursor over either a screen of garbage or a black screen. The mouse is not frozen, but I have no system functionality. Console.log is full of Nvidia "exceptions!" and other NVDA errors.

With my 10.8.3 freezes, the screen and mouse both completely freeze, there are no sounds from the volume buttons, and there are no console logs explaining any possible reasons for the freeze. How about you, puddled?

(Thanks for the try though, demolasko!)

I have the same issues with GTX 460.
Screen freezes ramdomly.

OK. I fixed my random freezes completely. No guarantee that this will work for your system, but it may be worth a try. I recommend you make a clone or backup your install first.

1. Change your your Mac smbios.plist to MacPro4,1 or something that initiates AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext and works with your system.

NOTE: I changed mine to MacPro4,1 and edited the specific information here (First post, item number 13): http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/to...a-dsdt-native-power-management-modifications/

2. Make the graphics power management kext mentioned in this post (#39) according to your graphics card specs (read the whole thread if you don't understand) and install it using KextBeast or some similar program: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/to...gy-at-the-same-time/page__st__20#entry1872968

3. Restart and enjoy.

Hope this helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back