Contribute
Register

Random black screens using RX560 + 10.13.4

Status
Not open for further replies.
A clean macOS install is a good idea. Add in 3rd party kexts one at a time and see what happens. You can delete the Sensors.kexts and reboot they are not mandatory.
Thanks I've deleted the sensors related kexts so will see what happens.
I just need to find the time for a clean install...

In regards to your kexts in other, what about removing the following from EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other:

AppleALC.kext
IntelGraphicsFixup.kext
Lilu.kext

The only reason I say this is because I don't have any of these (I only have FakeSMC.kext in that folder), and two of them have notes about being related to audio. So if you're having iTunes-related issues, then audio stuff might be related.

I've been playing a few songs on iTunes right now with an analog line out from the back, just to see if I could force any similar issues on my 8300 SFF and the music is playing, with no graphics issues.

Here's my entire Library/Extensions folder too if this helps:

ZZQiAn8.png

A good idea but actually I think the iTunes thing might be a red herring. I still get crashes even without running iTunes, and when I play music on my MBP, and look at console, I get the same messages!

I'm using the DSDT method to get sound, as in @pastrychef 's thread, as I didn't really get on with Voodoo.

Thanks for sharing your files.

A good idea but actually I think the iTunes thing might be a red herring. I still get crashes even without running iTunes, and when I play music on my MBP, and look at console, I get the same messages!

I'm using the DSDT method to get sound, as in @pastrychef 's thread, as I didn't really get on with Voodoo.

Thanks for sharing your files.
Gotcha. It just gets back to the wise suggestion from @trs96 to start with a clean install, and then add things in. I have pretty much as basic of an install as possible with all the stock stuff from the excellent HP 8300 Guide, and no issues, so the audio difference is something that deviates from trs96's HP 8300 guide, and might might bring back stability as you add in things in one by one after starting fresh.

Hope it works out, and when you have it working please update your info as to the potential cause, etc. Would be good info for me to know as well since we have nearly identical machines. Thanks.

Will keep things updated with progress. Thanks for the support.

I followed this guide (which was ace) and have kept up with most of the updates, and tried to understand the underlying behaviours of each things.

The other thing that is in the back of my mind and already mentioned is my card is a little non standard (OEM version, unknown manufacturer, unknown vbios etc). I hoped OEM would be as easy as it comes, but perhaps not.

Were you planning on using FCPX with yours? If so, you probably want Quicksync via HD4000 enabled. In my testing, that significantly reduces export times (1min 30 without, 30sec with, for exporting a 2min video).

The other thing that is in the back of my mind and already mentioned is my card is a little non standard (OEM version, unknown manufacturer, unknown vbios etc). I hoped OEM would be as easy as it comes, but perhaps not.
Will be good to know if this is the problem and whether those considering an RX560 will be better off with the MSI branded version. :thumbup:

• If I run HD4000 only it is stable.
  • If I run RX560 + disabled HD4000 it still crashes - just hangs (no black screens any more) but not as often as with HD4000 enabled.
  • If I run RX560 + enabled HD4000 I get regular crashes.
Ideally I would run the RX560 + HD4000 (for quick sync).

the crashes (it just hangs, or sometimes reboots, or sometimes has a black screen) are not repreoducable but they are regular. The only common thing is I have to be using the machine. If I just leave it on, its fine. Sleep/wake etc. If I'm using the machine (e.g. web browsing, listening to music) thats when I end up with issues. I am running APFS but don't see any indications that is the issue.

Looking at the system log, the common thing just before each hang is related to iTunes "iTunes[286]: tid:4f0b - Can't handle disconnect with invalid ecid" or "iTunesHelper[451]: tid:e03 - Can't handle disconnect with invalid ecid".

If you check in Console App (in Utilities) under the "System Reports" Section... do you see any Kernel_XXXXXX.panic files? If so, there might some clues there.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-04-18 at 9.36.11 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-04-18 at 9.36.11 PM.png
    103.3 KB · Views: 193
Were you planning on using FCPX with yours? If so, you probably want Quicksync via HD4000 enabled. In my testing, that significantly reduces export times (1min 30 without, 30sec with, for exporting a 2min video).
I was primarily going to use this for photo editing at first, and the video editing down the road. I'll definitely look into your note about Quicksync with the integrated video enabled. That's a good tip for me to look into, thanks.

Good luck with your machine and I hope it works out.

Attached are my config.plist and IOREG outputs from a boot with RX560 installed and HD4000 disabled. I'm not really sure what I am looking at in IOREG..
IOREG file not readable. need to use the attached App.

Attachments

• IORegistryExplorer.app.zip
    263.9 KB · Views: 49
IOREG file not readable. need to use the attached App.
That was the app I previously used. How do I get the correct file on the forum? Before I did File > Save As and then uploaded (which was not readable).

I have tried again, attached, but I am back to using the onboard HD4000 as I wanted to be stable and use the machine. RX560 sitting on the desk waiting for more energy and another attempt, or me to sell it.

Attachments

• ioreg output using hd4000.ioreg
    5 MB · Views: 134
@HackaShaq how is your machine behaving?

I have been using the machine great on HD4000, but have just found time to put another HD in, do a clean Unibeast/Multibeast install of 10.13.4 and am now ready to do some trial and error with my RX560.

Any advice on best/cleanest way to test things? There are plenty of (sometimes conflicting) ways around the forums.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back