Intel Core i5 6500
Graphics
Gigabyte RX 460
Mac
MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
iOS
Hi all,

I've had the strangest issue lately... I'll be using my computer and the screen will randomly go black. The only solution is to unplug the DisplayPort cable and move it to a different port (this works 80% of the time.) I have a Crossover 324K 4K monitor hooked up to my Asus Strix GTX 960. I use Nvidia Web drivers.

The most major issue though is on startup. About 40% of the time, I'll see the login progress bar (different from the one displayed when booting as it's the proper resolution) and then the screen will just go black. This can't always be fixed by moving the port. Sometimes I'll even see the picture flash for a second and then go away never to be seen again :(.

On the chance I do get into my computer, I have to make sure the screen DOES NOT go to sleep, or else I'm in for a random system freeze when I try and use my computer again.

I've been hackintoshing for many years now and like to think I've tried everything... changing my FREAKING motherboard (wasn't too thrilled about that), cold boot, warm boot, bios reset, SSDT/DSDT removal, changing board-id, assorted nvidia graphics flags, Clover reset... yup. The only thing that worked? Changing graphics cards. To my little brother's MSI GTX 980 Ti. Yeah, same generation, same architecture, same drivers. I just don't get it.

To top it all off, I tried my card in my dad's rig (same motherboard, same CPU) and he didn't have a problem. Only a few differences: He was on El Capitan 10.11.6, 32GB of RAM instead of my 16GB, different PSU, different cooler, and two 1080P monitors, one connected via HDMI and one via DVI. I tried my card in my little brother's rig (yes, my 13 year old brother has a GA-X99-UD4, 5820K, and a 980 Ti :crazy:) and all these issues manifested themselves there as well.

I just don't know what to do anymore. Hackintosh gods, I've done all the shaman dancing and voodoo magic you asked for. End the pain.

Motherboard
Asus Z170M-Plus
CPU
Intel Core i5 6500
Graphics
Gigabyte RX 460
Mac
MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
iOS
Hi all,

I've had the strangest issue lately... I'll be using my computer and the screen will randomly go black. The only solution is to unplug the DisplayPort cable and move it to a different port (this works 80% of the time.) I have a Crossover 324K 4K monitor hooked up to my Asus Strix GTX 960. I use Nvidia Web drivers.

The most major issue though is on startup. About 40% of the time, I'll see the login progress bar (different from the one displayed when booting as it's the proper resolution) and then the screen will just go black. This can't always be fixed by moving the port. Sometimes I'll even see the picture flash for a second and then go away never to be seen again :(.

On the chance I do get into my computer, I have to make sure the screen DOES NOT go to sleep, or else I'm in for a random system freeze when I try and use my computer again.

I've been hackintoshing for many years now and like to think I've tried everything... changing my FREAKING motherboard (wasn't too thrilled about that), cold boot, warm boot, bios reset, SSDT/DSDT removal, changing board-id, assorted nvidia graphics flags, Clover reset... yup. The only thing that worked? Changing graphics cards. To my little brother's MSI GTX 980 Ti. Yeah, same generation, same architecture, same drivers. I just don't get it.

To top it all off, I tried my card in my dad's rig (same motherboard, same CPU) and he didn't have a problem. Only a few differences: He was on El Capitan 10.11.6, 32GB of RAM instead of my 16GB, different PSU, different cooler, and two 1080P monitors, one connected via HDMI and one via DVI. I tried my card in my little brother's rig (yes, my 13 year old brother has a GA-X99-UD4, 5820K, and a 980 Ti :crazy:) and all these issues manifested themselves there as well.

I just don't know what to do anymore. Hackintosh gods, I've done all the shaman dancing and voodoo magic you asked for. End the pain.
Well, getting a used EVGA GTX 970 SSC solved all my problems. I'll need to get a new power supply, because that was giving me unrelated issues, but other than that I seem to be rock solid.

For others in the same boat, messing around with different SMBIOSs, board-ids, and SSDTs may solve your problem. However, in my 6 years of hackintoshing I've learned sometimes it's wiser to bite the bullet and just get supported hardware. There are exceptions, but for something as significant as graphics, I'd go out and buy a different card.

I was apprehensive about doing this at first because A) I didn't want to shell out the money to replace a card that SHOULD have been working B) I didn't learn anything other than third party support for products on MacOS is starting to get really crappy.

If it's an option, the GTX 970 and 980 use the same GPU model, so they should work. I'd take a look at the buyer's guide, and possibly stick to a brand they recommend there to avoid any possible issues (Other brands have worked completely fine in the past, but I was fed up of messing with this issue so I went EVGA and it's totally fine). Maybe the problem with my old 960 was just with the particular brand of the card and not the GPU itself (as in, EVGA 960s wouldn't have the problem because it was limited to Asus Strix variants of the card). As mentioned earlier, my brother's 980 Ti also works completely fine.

Anyways, that's all I know. Good luck to everyone in the same boat. If you have any questions, I doubt I'll ever leave these forums so don't hesitate to reply. Even if this thread is a decade old :lol: