Contribute
Register

Ran latest El Cap update. No Nvidia driver.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z97M-D3H
CPU
i7-4790K
Graphics
GTX 960
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I ran the latest update for El Capitan. Thought it would not affect video since it was iTunes, Safari and security. Now I have to run the glitchy MacOs driver for video. In the past the Nvidia driver update software detected it and automatically installed the new driver. Did I mess something up or am I just being impatient and a new El Cap nvidia driver is still forth coming?

Currently updated to 10.11.6 (15G20015)

GPU Nvidia MSI GTX960

Last edited:
You may want to try: https://images.nvidia.com/mac/pkg/346/WebDriver-346.03.15f12.pkg It was proposed as an answer to me after I already moved to Sierra instead over this issue. I've specifically been holding off on the last security update for my other El Cap machine - have not had time to try the above link

I posted elsewhere my same situation several months ago: "The driver may work fine, but NVIDIA's installer doesn't work for 15g18013. Does anyone know of a fix or manual installation procedure? // I updated from 10.11.3 to 10.11.6, updated the web drivers, and everything still worked fine *until* the security update (which brought me to 15G18013). Now I can only boot the OSX driver (i.e. nv_disable=1). I've tried patching the info.plist via Xcode with the later build number, but that didn't work, either. Thanks // Update: I extracted the new bundles and kexts with Pacifist, loaded with Kext Wizard, rebuilt cache, replaced the info.plist file with the one above, and then with one modified for 15G18013 but still not working 100%. At least now, with nv_disable, f10 is showing up and the performance is okay-ish. Enough to keep tinkering... but will probably just clean install Sierra after all!"

You may want to try: https://images.nvidia.com/mac/pkg/346/WebDriver-346.03.15f12.pkg It was proposed as an answer to me after I already moved to Sierra instead over this issue. I've specifically been holding off on the last security update for my other El Cap machine - have not had time to try the above link

I posted elsewhere my same situation several months ago: "The driver may work fine, but NVIDIA's installer doesn't work for 15g18013. Does anyone know of a fix or manual installation procedure? // I updated from 10.11.3 to 10.11.6, updated the web drivers, and everything still worked fine *until* the security update (which brought me to 15G18013). Now I can only boot the OSX driver (i.e. nv_disable=1). I've tried patching the info.plist via Xcode with the later build number, but that didn't work, either. Thanks // Update: I extracted the new bundles and kexts with Pacifist, loaded with Kext Wizard, rebuilt cache, replaced the info.plist file with the one above, and then with one modified for 15G18013 but still not working 100%. At least now, with nv_disable, f10 is showing up and the performance is okay-ish. Enough to keep tinkering... but will probably just clean install Sierra after all!"
Thanks. I tried that link its, a no go. I should have waited to run the update. In the past the Nvidia Driver Manager always found the latest driver and updated automatically. I also tried downgrading the CUDA driver and going backwards, all the way to the 10.11 beta, but still nothing. Hopefully Nvidia will send out an updated driver soon.

I upgraded to High Sierra a few weeks ago and had a host of problems. I went back to El Cap until I have time to mess around more with HS to get it to work properly. Might have to speed that up if I can't get the graphics to work correctly under El Cap.

In the past the Nvidia driver update software detected it and automatically installed the new driver. Did I mess something up or am I just being impatient and a new El Cap nvidia driver is still forth coming?
Just being impatient :mrgreen:

Nvidia Web Driver - 346.03.15f13 --> 10.11.6 build 15G20015

Just being impatient :mrgreen:

Nvidia Web Driver - 346.03.15f13 --> 10.11.6 build 15G20015

Yes, I already found it, installed it and still it's a no go. The CUDA is also the most recent from 1/25/18. CUDA Preferences says "no GPU detected". Not sure what is wrong as this has never been problem before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back