Graphics
Gigabyte 5700XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
  3. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Ran the combo updater and it installed correctly. But after rebooting I boot to a black screen after it gets past clover and starts with the apple logo. Gets to the end of the log then black screen. Happens when I add "-x -v"....boots up scrolling verbose across the screen then goes to a black screen. I can boot to safe boot off disk or off usb installer made with Multibeast but it will not boot my system. Any help would be appreciated.

Ran the combo updater and it installed correctly. But after rebooting I boot to a black screen after it gets past clover and starts with the apple logo. Gets to the end of the log then black screen. Happens when I add "-x -v"....boots up scrolling verbose across the screen then goes to a black screen. I can boot to safe boot off disk or off usb installer made with Multibeast but it will not boot my system. Any help would be appreciated.

After POST, can you "F11" it as soon as you hit Clover? That worked for me. Get through POST and hammer away on that F11. FWIW, I'm not running Filevault.

Last edited:
After POST, can you "F11" it as soon as you hit Clover? That worked for me. Get through POST and hammer away on that F11. FWIW, I'm not running Filevault.

I can change options in clover. I can get hit X11 after post but how does that help me?

On your mobo, hitting the F11 after a restart and when the Clover screen appears, will clear the NVRAM. But also see this Black/Blank Screen Issues and search around. Assuming you have a EFI boot stick, You may want to change your config to whatever people are getting to work with the Vega 64.

After update to 10.14.5 from 10.14.4 I'm having a CMOS reset after every restart/shutdown.

On 10.14.4 I fixed the issue by adding:

<dict>
<key>Comment</key>
<string>AppleRTC for 10.14.4</string>
<key>Disabled</key>
<false/>
<key>Find</key>
<data>
dTMPtw==
</data>
<key>InfoPlistPatch</key>
<false/>
<key>MatchOS</key>
<string>10.14.4</string>
<key>Name</key>
<string>com.apple.driver.AppleRTC</string>
<key>Replace</key>
<data>
6zMPtw==
</data>
</dict>

However, it seems that it has stopped working on 10.14.5.

Also, I have realised that back from sleep mode, the bluetooth has stopped working. It was working before on 10.14.4.

Any idea? I couldn't find a solution yet. I have updated using the combo update.

I am using Clover v2.4k r4862 EFI since 4920 didn't work for me.

Last edited:

You can't run Mojave with a MP 3,1 system def. so why this ? Is it just cosmetic ?
In regard to the CMOS reset, are you sure the battery is still good ? Has it ever been replaced ?

Last edited:
Actually, that is my real system definition at "About this mac", no cosmetic changes and I kept that definition for a long time, even installing Mojave. If it is not possible, I was not aware. Even that... it works.

Aside of that, it is not a laptop so it is definitely not related to battery and, as commented, it was fixed on 10.14.4 by using the hex replacement at com.apple.driver.AppleRTC, which doesn't work any longer.

View attachment 417045

You can't run Mojave with a MP 3,1 system def. so why this ? Is it just cosmetic ?
In regard to the CMOS reset, are you sure the battery is still good ? Has it ever been replaced ?

Last edited:
I thought these MP iMP system definitions would be looking for Xeons and particular RAM speeds, so I steered clear on my build and I've stayed at 18,3. When I had boot loops, etc., although my BIOS settings looked fine, they weren't: I had to hit optimized settings and reload from a saved setup. It may be just a thing with my mobo, but I've run into it a few times and now recognize the solution when I see the trouble: Sometimes your BIOS will lie to you for no apparent reason. I've also stopped auto-saving boot logs and that helped in stabiity. YMMV... -One more thing. I don't use WiFi nor Bluetooth, nor do I use Sleep or Hibernate, because I'm using a Thunderbolt 2-connected UAD Apollo 8 Quad.

I don't think the system definition is relevant on this case, since the patch above fixed the com.apple.driver.AppleRTC on 10.14.4 (where the issue was located), but it doesn't work on 10.14.5 while my system definition didn't change.
Same with the sleep mode and bluetooth connection, it worked on 10.14.4, using the same system definition.

I thought these MP iMP system definitions would be looking for Xeons and particular RAM speeds, so I steered clear on my build and I've stayed at 18,3. When I had boot loops, etc., although my BIOS settings looked fine, they weren't: I had to hit optimized settings and reload from a saved setup. It may be just a thing with my mobo, but I've run into it a few times and now recognize the solution when I see the trouble: Sometimes your BIOS will lie to you for no apparent reason. I've also stopped auto-saving boot logs and that helped in stabiity. YMMV... -One more thing. I don't use WiFi nor Bluetooth, nor do I use Sleep or Hibernate, because I'm using a Thunderbolt 2-connected UAD Apollo 8 Quad.

Okay. What's wierd is that if I setup a secondary cloned system as 19,2 then the processor goes into (CS/halt states?) much more quickly than the 18,3 definition, resulting in lower Cinebench scores, etc. -Maybe the 18,3 is ignoring part of the BIOS setting and pegging the CPU when demanding things are run. Maybe OT, a little. I'm just looking for clues and related issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back