Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming
CPU
i9 9900K
Graphics
RX580
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hello All

I want to upgrade my RAM. I currently have 2 x 4gb Crucial 1600mhz & I'd like to double it. Would it be OK to use 1 8gb stick with the same specs which will allow me another upgrade in the future. Or do I have to use another 2 x 4gb sticks?

My motherboard is the Gigabyte Z87X-D3H as recommended in the buyers guide.

Cheers ...

Hello All

I want to upgrade my RAM. I currently have 2 x 4gb Crucial 1600mhz & I'd like to double it. Would it be OK to use 1 8gb stick with the same specs which will allow me another upgrade in the future. Or do I have to use another 2 x 4gb sticks?

My motherboard is the Gigabyte Z87X-D3H as recommended in the buyers guide.

It is OK to use one memory module but there will be a performance hit if you do.

See Wikipedia particularly the part headed Dual-channel architecture.

Sorry, I should've explained myself better. I wouldn't have just the one stick, it would be the original 2x4gb + either 1x8gb or 2x4gb. If its not a problem I would prefer the 1x8gb which would allow me to add another 8gb in the future. Cheers ...

Sorry, I should've explained myself better. I wouldn't have just the one stick, it would be the original 2x4gb + either 1x8gb or 2x4gb. If its not a problem I would prefer the 1x8gb which would allow me to add another 8gb in the future. Cheers ...

What you propose will work and your computer will run quicker with more RAM on certain apps - but you lose the performance gain of using your RAM in a Dual Channel configuration. Adding a further single channel stick of Ram will be just the same.

The choice is yours - you might also consider buying 2 x 8GB RAM and selling your existing 2 x 4GB. This might be more expensive initially - but it gives you the best long term option. :thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back