Intel HD 3000
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Greetings All!
I was looking memory modules and had quick question.
I know that Mac Memory uses the timing 9-9-9-24.
Does this matter when making a Hackintosh or can I use any timing on the memory.

You can use any timings. I have a 1600Mhz at 10-10-10-28 that worked and then overclocked it to 1866Mhz 10-10-10-24 and runs great!

Just check your motherboard and the compatibility with that.

Greetings All!
I was looking memory modules and had quick question.
I know that Mac Memory uses the timing 9-9-9-24.
Does this matter when making a Hackintosh or can I use any timing on the memory.

The Kurtster

Memory Timing depend upon the memory Density of the chips that are on each DIMM - you should notice that 1 and 2 gig DIMMs have faster timings whereas the 4 and 8 GB dimms get a little slower. Your talking about milliseconds here not really a game changer when its running.
One thing to know is the faster the clock rate the more power and heat the ram takes.
So if your case is small and airflow is a problem then stock or standard ram works best. If you want performance then using dimms w heat spreaders is required. Height of the spreader can cause issues w CPU Heatsinks so watch out for that.
OF course if you Overclock the CPU/RAm then all this goes out the window due to the fact that your OC 'ing the system.
Each motherboard maker has a list of tested and certified ram modules that they post - these are not always up to date but you can get a feel for what would work by looking at them and Goggle the information on that particular DIMM.

PS one thing to keep in mind is if you upgrade the ram from 2 dimms to 4 you need to match the dimm specs so as not to have problems w the OS due to ram speed. This is why I suggest you get all the ram you need when you build it and not later as the manufacture of the ram you have may discontinue the ram you purchased at any time. Product Obsolescence it the term.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back