CPU
i5-750
Graphics
GTX 670
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I just got two 250GB WD HDDs. I wanted them for RAID, so I cloned the info from my old drive to this new software RAID array. I forgot however that this isn't going to work when starting up because the computer doesn't know to look for a RAID array.

I have an idea to get around this: Make a small partition outside the RAID array and set it as active with the bootloader on it. The only problem is, I forget how to do that. There was a guide on here explaining how to do all this, but I can't find it anymore.

If you know how to do this a simpler way please let me know. Also, I'm planning on crossing this bridge when I come to it, but if anyone can tell me how I may get windows to work on the array that would be great.

Thanks so much.

uPaymeiFixit said:
I just got two 250GB WD HDDs. I wanted them for RAID, so I cloned the info from my old drive to this new software RAID array. I forgot however that this isn't going to work when starting up because the computer doesn't know to look for a RAID array.

I have an idea to get around this: Make a small partition outside the RAID array and set it as active with the bootloader on it. The only problem is, I forget how to do that. There was a guide on here explaining how to do all this, but I can't find it anymore.

If you know how to do this a simpler way please let me know. Also, I'm planning on crossing this bridge when I come to it, but if anyone can tell me how I may get windows to work on the array that would be great.

Thanks so much.
http://aquamac.proboards.com/index.cgi? ... thread=613

uPaymeiFixit said:

That to me indicates you did not do this raid setup in OS X or you would already have a helper partition there. I have included a link to a different version of aquamac explaining the procedure for Snow Leopard I followed when I did, along with a text file with all the commands except the diskutil list used to get it running and the files I used that I extracted from Multibeast 3.0.2 with the exception of the fdisk which I used from an earlier version of Chameleon. If you follow the commands exactly as I used them changing the relevant values for the disk numbers and paths to where the files are on your install you should be able to get it going. One thing on a kernel upgrade like happens in a point upgrade of OS X you need to mount the helper partitions and re-copy the mach_kernel into them or you will end up booting the old version that is present not the new one that gets installed into the / of your raid. All the steps done to install were from my running install after having cloned the install to the newly created array using diskutil Restore function with the array as the destination target the source being my install that was running and in the text file the nano command is where I edited the Boot.plist to add the boot-uuid needed.

http://aquamac.proboards.com/index.cgi? ... thread=908

Thanks so much.

Not sure that is possible only way I could see it work is if windows was installed first on already partitioned disks basically using half of each drive for windows. Then create your raid in OS X copy over files do the steps needed to make it bootable and hope that Chameleon can boot a windows array from its loader. Or another idea windows first half OS X second no boot loader install of Chameleon to the MBR the first command going to the rdisk? with the boot0 still installing the boot1h into the partitions so as not to mess with the windows loader make a Chameleon boot stick on USB drive to boot the OS X raid. And I have no clue whether that will even work just thinking of the various ways I would try to get it done..

Attachments

• Chameleon_From_MultiBeast_3.0.2.zip
    172.9 KB · Views: 85
  • raid_install.txt
    2.3 KB · Views: 228
MacUser2525 said:
That to me indicates you did not do this raid setup in OS X or you would already have a helper partition there. I have included a link to a different version of aquamac explaining the procedure for Snow Leopard I followed when I did, along with a text file with all the commands except the diskutil list used to get it running and the files I used that I extracted from Multibeast 3.0.2 with the exception of the fdisk which I used from an earlier version of Chameleon. If you follow the commands exactly as I used them changing the relevant values for the disk numbers and paths to where the files are on your install you should be able to get it going. One thing on a kernel upgrade like happens in a point upgrade of OS X you need to mount the helper partitions and re-copy the mach_kernel into them or you will end up booting the old version that is present not the new one that gets installed into the / of your raid. All the steps done to install were from my running install after having cloned the install to the newly created array using diskutil Restore function with the array as the destination target the source being my install that was running and in the text file the nano command is where I edited the Boot.plist to add the boot-uuid needed.

http://aquamac.proboards.com/index.cgi? ... thread=908

That guide was just what I needed. The previously mentioned guide is one I followed before, but I got stuck at fdisk (because I didn't have the files). It works great now. So fast.

I partitioned both drives the same, 200GB and 50GB then I put the 200GB volumes in an array. Now I need to have Windows make the two 50GB volumes into it's own array then clone my Windows installation onto that disk. Any more ideas would be appreciated. Thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back