Contribute
Register
Status
Not open for further replies.
@luckyal thanks for the update! Good to know that it's working. I hope you don't mind if I ask a couple more questions:
- Did the card come with SAS-SATA cables? If not - which ones are you using (if it's not hard to find)
- Are you using it in full 16x PCIe slot? I wonder if this card would work with only 4 PCIe lanes available, or if it needs full 8.
- Can you manage RAID from Mac, or does that have to happen from Windows?
- Do both of your SAS channels work? I read something about only one of them working on Mac Pro, I wonder if it's a hardware limitation of Mac Pro or some incompatibility with OS.

Thanks a lot for your answers, you are helping a lot!

@luckyal thanks for the update! Good to know that it's working. I hope you don't mind if I ask a couple more questions:
- Did the card come with SAS-SATA cables? If not - which ones are you using (if it's not hard to find)
- Are you using it in full 16x PCIe slot? I wonder if this card would work with only 4 PCIe lanes available, or if it needs full 8.
- Can you manage RAID from Mac, or does that have to happen from Windows?
- Do both of your SAS channels work? I read something about only one of them working on Mac Pro, I wonder if it's a hardware limitation of Mac Pro or some incompatibility with OS.

Thanks a lot for your answers, you are helping a lot!
- Cables I had to buy - (these are the shortest I found, all others were too long and a pain for cable management)
SAS CABLES
- I have mine installed in the bottom slot of my Asus ROG Maximus Hero 9
- RAID management happens in controller BIOS (before you boot into macOS) - once raid is set up, drive recognized as you configured in BIOS.
- Both SAS channels work.

Thanks again!

Do you happen to know if your bottom slot is set to x2 as it was by default according to the spec: https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/ROG-MAXIMUS-IX-HERO/specifications/

I'm just trying to confirm if it would work fine in an x16 slot that's limited to x4, but it's looking more and more likely that your suggested solution is exactly what I need.

Alright, I think I have a card I want to buy now. Thanks for being so responsive!

- Cables I had to buy - (these are the shortest I found, all others were too long and a pain for cable management)
SAS CABLES
- I have mine installed in the bottom slot of my Asus ROG Maximus Hero 9
- RAID management happens in controller BIOS (before you boot into macOS) - once raid is set up, drive recognized as you configured in BIOS.
- Both SAS channels work.

I am dropping in here although the thread is dated, but not the issue. I plan to build a Hackintosh and would like to have a hardware raid with either Highpoint or LSI. Is it correct that I can install and boot the macOS from the hardware raid that sits in the PCIe slot? I do not need some other internal drive where macOS is installed?

Thanks

I am dropping in here although the thread is dated, but not the issue. I plan to build a Hackintosh and would like to have a hardware raid with either Highpoint or LSI. Is it correct that I can install and boot the macOS from the hardware raid that sits in the PCIe slot? I do not need some other internal drive where macOS is installed?

Thanks
Not sure, I haven’t tried to boot off of the RAID array. I use it only for large file storage prior to backup to my freenas box in garage via time machine backup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back