Graphics
Gigabyte GTX 660ti
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I'm building a graphic design/gaming machine, and I just wanted to run it by those in-the-know to make sure there's nothing glaringly wrong.
Also, I wanted to ask if you think the 650W power is enough for this, and would I need more power if I wanted to add a couple more HDs and cooling unit later?

Thanks!!

CPU - Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge 3.5GHz
GPU - GIGABYTE GV-N66TOC-2GD GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB
Mobo - GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD5H
RAM - CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) 1600
Power - CORSAIR TX Series 650W 80 PLUS BRONZE

HD - Western Digital Red 1TB SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5"
SSD - SAMSUNG 840 2.5" 120GB SATA III
SSD - Intel 335 2.5" 240GB SATA III
Case - Rosewill BLACKHAWK Gaming
Monitor - HP 2711x Black 27" LED

radiofrog's First Attempt - Testing -

Looks good to me. PSU will do fine and has plenty of overhead for future HDD additions.

Any particular reason you are going with an Intel and a Samsung SSD instead of 2 Intels or 2 Samsungs?

BTW, the Samsung Pro seems to be the best rated on the market at the moment - http://www.tonymacx86.com/buying-advice/73151-absolute-best-ssd-2.html#post537925

Thanks for the reply!

Reason: On most everything I've been shopping for deals over time as I had $ to spend; the 2 SSDs I got at separate times. One will be for Mac, the other PC.

And I was aware of the 840 Pro's quality, more or less, I just didn't know it had fully established itself as the leader. I went with a regular 840 to shave another $50 off my build price. Considering it will be my first computer with an SSD at all, I was figuring, "good enough." And yes, considering the total price of the build, $50 may not seem like much, but 50+30+10+25+60, etc. added up. My initial budget started out much smaller; this build is a result of my compromise with sanity.

One more quick question:

I've got an iMac running S-Leopard and backed up on an external HD with Time Machine.
Once I have M-Lion running on my new Ivy build, would it be possible to recover my old stuff using Lion's Time Machine? Anyone know?
Or will I need to back up all my stuff manually and reinstall all software?

Oh, also I've got Win7 on another partition in my iMac and going to be putting Win7 on a separate SSD; anyone know of a good Time Machine-like backup app for Windows? (I guess that's 2 questions.)

PS- Got all the hardware installed today, and it beeped happily at me... so far so good. :mrgreen:

I have the exact same build w/ an Intel SSD. Everything works great, follow slugnet's guide and you'll be good to go. Dual booting with chimera is a breeze as well. Have fun :D

Don't forget CPU cooler.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back