Contribute
Register

Radeon VII +UHD630 = Random Freezes, Moving Cursor, Slowdown - 10.14.4 / 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have the same slowdown. I tried iMac19,1 and iMacPro1,1, the slowdowns are the same.

So I removed the Radeon VII and changed system profile to 18,1 and the system went back to being rock solid again. I'm now wondering if it could be one of a few things:

1. Hardware incompatibility with MOBO and Radeon VII (Asrock Fatal1ty z370 itx/ac + Gigabyte Radeon VII)
2. macOS is not loading the Radeon Drivers properly (Seems to slow down first before freeze, console once reported that quicklook was using too much memory before it froze)
3. Hardware issue - Radeon VII may be faulty - however in Windows it seems to be rock solid as well.

Any thoughts?

Here are some more error messages I noticed in the boot:

Attachments

• IMG_3319.jpg
    IMG_3319.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 238
  • IMG_3322.jpg
    IMG_3322.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 244
  • IMG_3325.jpg
    IMG_3325.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 201
  • IMG_3326.jpg
    IMG_3326.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 183
  • IMG_3327.jpg
    IMG_3327.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 193
Funny thing is I’ve been running 10.14.5 Beta 3 which many people have been having success with and still having issues. I’m hoping the final release will be an improvement but I’m not holding my breath.

I installed Beta 4 and still have the freezing - BUT - I think I made some progress regarding stabilizing the system a bit. I still get freezing but when I add ACPI patches for GFX0-IGPU and PEGP-GFX0 manually (I DO have the latest Whatevergreen installed) the system has seemed to smooth out in terms of graphic stability. I am able to stay within macOS for much longer without a crash and animations seem to be a whole bunch smoother. I do inevitably crash in the same way but it takes longer.

I get quicklookd errors whenever Finder shows a bunch of thumbnails for any images or videos and from time to time I get a AMDRadeonAccelerator error. I am able to run Geekbench and Videoproc tests without crashes and they seem to indicate acceleration is working, however, I can't explain why the system inevitably locks up with a movable cursor.

Sometimes on boot I get a crash with ATIController VRAM test failing. Does that have anything to do with anything?

Crossing my fingers but I think I have it mostly solved!

Current config:

Smbios iMacPro1,1

I moved Whatevergreen and Lilu to /Library/Extensions/
Rebuilt my KextCache

I manually configured DSDT patches in Clover Acpi:
XHCI to XHC
XHC1 to XHC
SAT0 to SATA
GFX0 to IGPU (Is this needed considering its iMacPro1,1)? I don't want to "fix" what's working after so much trouble..
PEGP to GFXO

Nothing in Devices
Nothing in Graphics

Bios Settings:
CSR Active
IGPU Multimonitor - Disabled

Was having quicklookd and quicklooksatellite issues - I ran:
sudo update_dyld_shared_cache -force. then restarted finder
sudo fs_usage -f pathname -w -f com.apple.IconServicesAgent | grep open. then ctrl + c to exit. then reboot
qlmanage -r
qlmanage -r cache

Now...I'm not too sure which of these things did the trick but it seems a heck of a lot better. I still get some slowdown especially when Safari is open...but this is progress!

Thanks to all who offered their help!

Update: Seems like it’s mostly good but some UI elements seems to cause the OS to chug. Any drop down menu from the menu bar with a lot of transparency like HWMonitor causes either slowdown or a freeze. Oh well.... I thought I was there...

Last edited:
Same nightmare here. Hangs, mouse moves, but everything else is frozen.

Almost identical system to yours. The funny thing is, it ONLY hangs when using 2 finance programs, which are both heavy JAVA/GPU. No overheating either. I run LuxMark stress for hours, no issues, tons of other programs basically killing the machine with Unigine, etc, all solid without those financial programs, runs all day with no issues. Windows 10, same apps, all day no issues. On Mojave, once I put back the RX580, runs all day. So it's strictly with Radeon VII and the latest 10.14.5 Mojave and those finance programs. I noticed a pattern where Safari was open in most of those cases. Very odd.

Going to try those settings above. Worse case, I might just go back to High Sierra and the 1080Ti.

So far so good. 2 days and no issues. Longest no-hang streak with Radeon VII :)

I had IGPU disabled, so enabling that was probably a big part of it.

Thanks a lot for that info.

Hey Mulanzo, I was getting the exact same errors being thrown on boot and they usually ended with those 'ACM' related logged items.

I've had much more success with iMacPro1,1 so far coming from iMac19,1.

I've mostly followed CaseySJ's Gigabyte Z390 Designare build guide, so my main difference from what you used is that I kept just 'framebuffer-patch-enable' in Properties/Devices and removed the other items in there like platform-id etc. I also removed 'shikigva' boot args and now H264 + HEVC decode and encoding works properly now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back