Contribute
Register

Radeon VII performance... Possible to add Nvidia for Processing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Rampage IV Extreme
CPU
3.21 Ghz 6 core
Graphics
Radeon Vii
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Hey guys, I've been tearing my hair out trying to research this on my own, and I'm hoping one of you experts can answer this simply and maybe offer some advice. You all have saved me significant headaches through the years with your diligence and generosity.

My machine was built by a friend a few years ago, and I've slowly updated it over the years to it's current state, running Catalina, with the system specs I have (also 64gb ram)

I primarily use the machine for VFX, Color, and Editing, in that order of priority. I grade in Davinci Resolve, VFX in After Effects, and Edit in Premiere. I'm not gonna bitch and moan about how dumb Adobe is with it's hardware usage.

But I can't help but feel that the Radeon Vii should perform significantly better than it does in Resolve.

2 Questions...
1 Is there something I can do to boost/optimize it?
2 If not, is it possible to leave the Radeon Vii in there to do all things Mac OS and whatnot related, and also install an Nvidia 2080 ti, just for processing in Resolve (and whatever other plug ins I have that benefit more from CUDA)?

It's depressing to think that the 16GB Radeon Vii just kinda does MEH work.

Really grateful to you all for the help, and I apologize if this is the epitome of naïveté for even asking this.

Thanks!

If not, is it possible to leave the Radeon Vii in there to do all things Mac OS and whatnot related, and also install an Nvidia 2080 ti, just for processing in Resolve (and whatever other plug ins I have that benefit more from CUDA)?
The only way to use the 2080 Ti with Resolve and the Adobe Suite is to install Windows 10.

Well, if not the 2080, some other CUDA card? I had a 1080 ti before (unfortunately I sold it, so I can't test anything at the moment). Is it just not possible in Catalina, or is it the RX series?

Well, if not the 2080, some other CUDA card? I had a 1080 ti before (unfortunately I sold it, so I can't test anything at the moment). Is it just not possible in Catalina, or is it the RX series?

Great resource, thanks for sharing! I’m a little bit vexed because the article doesn’t mention the VII, and no one here has addressed it. Did I pick a fast horse with a broken ankle? How come I’m getting such shitty playback in Resolve? Is there anything that can be done to improve performance?

Is there anything that can be done to improve performance?
For those questions you should post in the graphics forum and do some testing to determine if your system is configured correctly.

I’m a little bit vexed because the article doesn’t mention the VII, and no one here has addressed it.
If you watch this video you'll get a better idea why you only get top tier performance with AMD cards and FCP X. Adobe and Black Magic don't optimize their software as well as Apple does for macOS. Their software doesn't fully utilize the AMD GPU used in the Mac Pro or your hackintosh.

Last edited:
Have you verified that in Resolve you are being limited by GPU performance, rather than by the CPU? What indicators did you use?

Have you verified that in Resolve you are being limited by GPU performance, rather than by the CPU? What indicators did you use?
Hey man, I haven't done any testing to compare to performance A) with my old card and B) with the older OS because I didn't take any benchmarks before I upgraded and I can't now since I don't have the equipment anymore. But, I definitely feeeeel a difference working with the same time of material that I used to with the 1080 and High Sierra or whatever OS, which I had going for a couple years before this "upgrade."

Have any recommendations on how to do that?

A K6000 or K5200 is about the fastest Cuda card you can use. It must be Kepler based (old)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back