Contribute
Register

Radeon VII freezing, Apple driver problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No because I need audio but I may try. Do you think kernel_task is related to audio?

There was a time when HDMI audio caused kernel panics for me on wake from sleep.

There was a time when HDMI audio caused kernel panics for me on wake from sleep.
So it may be related to DP audio also you think?

There was a period when these IGPU related artefacts (pink lines on the Apple screen while booting) were common. They were fixed, on my systems, after updating Lilu.kext, WhateverGreen.kext and AppleALC.kext, some years ago.

Are you using reasonably recent version of these three kexts? Current releases of the pre-built kexts are as follows:
  • Lilu.kext - v1.5.1
  • WhateverGreen.kext - v1.4.8
  • AppleALC.kext - v1.5.8
They can all be downloaded from Acidanthera's GitHub pages - https://github.com/acidanthera/
I always keep updated versions and just checked I have the las of each.
As I said I dont use WhateverGreen.kext because with WEG my 4k Dell MST monitor is not detected or detected as 30p or detected as 2 monitors and it's unusable. So basically I don't need it on my system since 2 monitors working fine.

So it may be related to DP audio also you think?

It's a possibility. That's why I asked you to test with AppleALC disabled.

I'm not telling you to disable AppleALC forever, just to test and see if that's the cause of your problems.

It's a possibility. That's why I asked you to test with AppleALC disabled.

I'm not telling you to disable AppleALC forever, just to test and see if that's the cause of your problems.
As I video editing on that pc I need audio, but yeah, I'll try it...
Anyway, I need to understand what is the panic so I can dig. Any idea where to look?

As I video editing on that pc I need audio, but yeah, I'll try it...
Anyway, I need to understand what is the panic so I can dig. Any idea where to look?

I don't remember what the panic said exactly, but it was clearly HDMI/DisplayPort audio related.

I don't remember what the panic said exactly, but it was clearly HDMI/DisplayPort audio related.
I deleted the AppleALC.kext and the problem persist. I just now noticed that when the interface begin to lag the most cpu intensive process is kernel_task AND the gpu ram is full. Once I turn off or on one of the monitors the memory is empty so it must be apple driver that doesn't clear the gpu memory...

Post a copy of your Clover folder (or OpenCore) for your Asus X99 system, so we can see what you are using. That way we will have a better idea of what might be causing the issue because at the moment there are too many unknown variables for us to be able to help.

It may be something else you are using, or not using, that is causing the issue with the Radeon VII.

Redact your Serial number, Board Serial Number, SmUUID, MLB and ROM in the copy of your config.plist.

Post a copy of your Clover folder (or OpenCore) for your Asus X99 system, so we can see what you are using. That way we will have a better idea of what might be causing the issue because at the moment there are too many unknown variables for us to be able to help.

It may be something else you are using, or not using, that is causing the issue with the Radeon VII.

Redact your Serial number, Board Serial Number, SmUUID, MLB and ROM in the copy of your config.plist.
Done, please take a look!
Thanks!

Attachments

• OC.zip
    1.4 MB · Views: 41
Done, please take a look!
Thanks!

I don't know if it will help, but you don't need the following and I don't think Radeon VII is Kamarang...
Screen Shot 2021-03-17 at 4.12.44 PM.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back