Contribute
Register

Radeon VII freezing, Apple driver problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
HP ProBook 470 G5 (Clover)
CPU
i7-8550u
Graphics
UHD 620
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
So, my system is randomly freezing. Usually it starts with interface and audio lagging.
I noticed if I power off the monitor and power it on, the system comes back to normal. It helps in 90% of cases, in 10% the monitor doesn't receive the image and goes to sleep.
There si no kernel panic on monitor that I can read. I need to restart the pc to make it usable and that became a problem for my raid5 system.

I'm not using WEG because with WEG my 4k Dell MST monitor is not detected or detected as 30p or detected as 2 monitors and it's unusable.

What I'm asking you guys for is how can I understand what's is going on there when the system freezes or lags. Can I open some utility like console and see error somewhere? Or better the kernel panic?

I have:
Asus x99-a II
32GB od Corsair RAM
Radeon VII
the OS is on samsung 960 PRO ssd
using Opencore now.

Same problem was present with Clover and with Clover, when powering on the pc, I had sometimes a kernel panic on boot, attaching a pic. With Opencore I had that panic only once.

A guy with the same problem solved it deleting the kext responsible for DP audio. I would like to leave it there.

Thank you guys for your help!

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2021-03-07 at 14.05.05.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-03-07 at 14.05.05.jpeg
    426.5 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Have a read of this post be @jaymonkey regarding the Radeon VII - #5 , it may answer some of the questions you are not asking.

Have a read of this post be @jaymonkey regarding the Radeon VII - #5 , it may answer some of the questions you are not asking.
Thanks, read it but I have a 750w power supply
and freezing happens even when I just writing on forums/Facebook so not under the load. Even now, I'm writing from smartphone because the pc is freezed...
So I need to understand what is due to that situation!

So, my system is randomly freezing. Usually it starts with interface and audio lagging.
I noticed if I power off the monitor and power it on, the system comes back to normal. It helps in 90% of cases, in 10% the monitor doesn't receive the image and goes to sleep.
There si no kernel panic on monitor that I can read. I need to restart the pc to make it usable and that became a problem for my raid5 system.

I'm not using WEG because with WEG my 4k Dell MST monitor is not detected or detected as 30p or detected as 2 monitors and it's unusable.

What I'm asking you guys for is how can I understand what's is going on there when the system freezes or lags. Can I open some utility like console and see error somewhere? Or better the kernel panic?

I have:
Asus x99-a II
32GB od Corsair RAM
Radeon VII
the OS is on samsung 960 PRO ssd
using Opencore now.

Same problem was present with Clover and with Clover, when powering on the pc, I had sometimes a kernel panic on boot, attaching a pic. With Opencore I had that panic only once.

A guy with the same problem solved it deleting the kext responsible for DP audio. I would like to leave it there.

Thank you guys for your help!

The artifacts and failing VRAM tests makes me think that the card might be dying.
WhatsApp Image 2021-03-07 at 14.05.05.jpeg

In terms of heat and power consumption. I've had a Radeon VII and Vega 56. I found my Vega 56 to be much more power hungry and ran much hotter than my Radeon VII ever did.

Also, try disabling AppleALC and see if your system runs more stably.

The artifacts and failing VRAM tests makes me think that the card might be dying.
View attachment 512139

In terms of heat and power consumption. I've had a Radeon VII and Vega 56. I found my Vega 56 to be much more power hungry and ran much hotter than my Radeon VII ever did.

Also, try disabling AppleALC and see if your system runs more stably.
I think I saw similar artifacts on my old rx580 8GB and they appear before desktop so I assume when drivers are loaded. Also, remember that the ram is part of the die on that card, I dont think that is the problem.

I noticed today again, when interface became choppy/laggy the most cpu intensive process is kernel_task. Once I shut off/om the monitor (or one of 2 monitors) the interface is fine again.

Do the artefacts occur on both displays, or just one of them?

Switching one of the displays off will cause the system to do a screen refresh on the retained display, that may be why the artefacts disappear. The same will happen when you switch the 2nd display back on, but for both displays.

I think I saw similar artifacts on my old rx580 8GB and they appear before desktop so I assume when drivers are loaded. Also, remember that the ram is part of the die on that card, I dont think that is the problem.

I noticed today again, when interface became choppy/laggy the most cpu intensive process is kernel_task. Once I shut off/om the monitor (or one of 2 monitors) the interface is fine again.

Did you try disabling AppleALC to see if it helped?

Do the artefacts occur on both displays, or just one of them?

Switching one of the displays off will cause the system to do a screen refresh on the retained display, that may be why the artefacts disappear. The same will happen when you switch the 2nd display back on, but for both displays.
Sorry, I was not clear! I don't have artifacts after verbose text. I mean, when desktop is loaded it's all fine till interface begin to lag, and it begin at random time. So I have never artefacts under loaded OS, only for the second before graphical interface of the OS is loaded.

Did you try disabling AppleALC to see if it helped?
No because I need audio but I may try. Do you think kernel_task is related to audio?

There was a period when these IGPU related artefacts (pink lines on the Apple screen while booting) were common. They were fixed, on my systems, after updating Lilu.kext, WhateverGreen.kext and AppleALC.kext, some years ago.

Are you using reasonably recent version of these three kexts? Current releases of the pre-built kexts are as follows:
  • Lilu.kext - v1.5.1
  • WhateverGreen.kext - v1.4.8
  • AppleALC.kext - v1.5.8
They can all be downloaded from Acidanthera's GitHub pages - https://github.com/acidanthera/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back