Contribute
Register

Radeon VII (and new AMD gpus) compatibility

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m trying to find up to date information on Vega vii cards on UEFI bios MoBo. I read a post a while ago about only one brand of card being available with UEFI bios out the box. Is that still true? And which card is it? Or is it possible to use any branded GPU now with relative ease. I’m looking for the easiest install possible at the moment for a Vega vii on my system.
The initial release had the rom (legacy) bios so later cards have UEFI bios.

The initial release had the rom (legacy) bios so later cards have UEFI bios.
So get any brand card basically (or at least based on other quality factors), and it should work fairly easily. They aren’t supported in Catalina though are they?

So get any brand card basically (or at least based on other quality factors), and it should work fairly easily. They aren’t supported in Catalina though are they?

Yes Mojave and Catalina. They are all the same format, no custom cards so maybe look at the best warranty.

Hello All

i am looking for changing my 1080Ti for a Radeon VII
i am running a X99 + E2699v4 rock solid (cf my signature)
i will use it most of the time for DaVinci resolve, with rush in 4k@24fps

but I am pretty lost concerning the label of the Radeon VII I need: XFX? Sapphire? Gigabyte? Asus?
All of them for Catalina are rock stable? or some should be completely rejected in my choice?

Ps: another question, the Radeon VII is much more powerful compared to a R5700XT or a Vega 64?
because the price for a Vega 64 or a RX5700XT is pretty affordable compared to a VII

thank you very much

Hello All

i am looking for changing my 1080Ti for a Radeon VII
i am running a X99 + E2699v4 rock solid (cf my signature)
i will use it most of the time for DaVinci resolve, with rush in 4k@24fps

but I am pretty lost concerning the label of the Radeon VII I need: XFX? Sapphire? Gigabyte? Asus?
All of them for Catalina are rock stable? or some should be completely rejected in my choice?

Ps: another question, the Vega 64 is still a great card compared to a radeon VII?because the price for a Vega 64 is pretty affordable compared to a VII

thank you very much

I have zero experiences with X99 so I don't know if it would present any compatibility issues.

That being said, the Radoen VII is fully supported by macOS Catalina.

All Radeon VIIs are reference. There's really no differences between any of them other than branding.

Vega 56/64 are also fully supported by macOS Catalina. I feel they are still really good cards especially if you can get one at a very good price. The differences between Vega 56 and 64 are pretty small so you might consider a 56 too. Probably the biggest disadvantage of the Vega cards is power consumption. These cards can really suck down a lot of power and, as a consequence, can run pretty hot.

thx a lot @pastrychef

concerning the X99 rig it is fully stable on High Sierra so I guess it will not be a problem for Catalina (but I need to check to be sure)
at worst on Mojave it is stable so... :)

for information in japan:
a Radeon VII is 89 000 yens
a Vega 64 is 37 000 yens
a RX5700XT is 50 000 yens

i will water-cool the one I will consider

I am pretty lost to know about the perf of each on Catalina

thx a lot @pastrychef

concerning the X99 rig it is fully stable on High Sierra so I guess it will not be a problem for Catalina (but I need to check to be sure)
at worst on Mojave it is stable so... :)

for information in japan:
a Radeon VII is 89 000 yens
a Vega 64 is 37 000 yens
a RX5700XT is 50 000 yens

i will water-cool the one I will consider

I am pretty lost to know about the perf of each on Catalina

Maybe the following article can help you...

Keep in mind that they did their testing on a MacPro5,1 which only has PCI-e 2.0. That may have been a bit of a bottleneck on some of the results for newer cards.

Ps: another question, the Radeon VII is much more powerful compared to a R5700XT or a Vega 64?
because the price for a Vega 64 or a RX5700XT is pretty affordable compared to a VII

Resolve loves VRAM. Things get worse if you run dual 4k monitors (You need even more vram than you think) Get the VII if you can. If not, maybe wait for the 16gb vram 5700 to show up.

Hello,
As mentioned by @pastrychef in this thread, I removed whatevergreen, and for the moment (about 4h), everything is working well (no audio pb, no quernel panic with reboot).
:clap:
Wait and see...

Edit :
Still ok after more than 8 hours...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back