Contribute
Register

Radeon VII (and new AMD gpus) compatibility

Status
Not open for further replies.
@pastrychef apologies for pinging you this late, but is your EFI safe to update when 10.15.1 comes out or will there be changes required and/or patches i need to update?

@pastrychef apologies for pinging you this late, but is your EFI safe to update when 10.15.1 comes out or will there be changes required and/or patches i need to update?

It's impossible to predict the future... But some good rules of thumb to follow are:

Update Clover to the latest version prior to updating macOS.
Update AppleALC, Lilu, WhateverGreen prior to updating macOS.

The one caveat is that the guys over at acidantera no longer verify for Clover compatibility with new releases of AppleALC, Lilu, WhateverGreen, etc. So it's best to check with the forum to see if anyone has reported problems.

By doing the above, I have been able to update to each new release of macOS within a day or two of release since El Capitan.

Thank you for the information. My previous build worked fine with each upgrade, as I was using voodooHDA for audio and had no need for WG/Lilu. I tend to update clover every few months anyway and I read this forum before doing so.

Thanks again for all your help.

Thank you for the information. My previous build worked fine with each upgrade, as I was using voodooHDA for audio and had no need for WG/Lilu. I tend to update clover every few months anyway and I read this forum before doing so.

Thanks again for all your help.

Technically, you can run Radeon VII without WhateverGreen. However, you will lose HDMI/DisplayPort audio and only the the last DisplayPort (furthest away from the HDMI port) will work.

I included WhateverGreen to make HDMI/DisplayPort audio work and to make all the video out ports work.

If/when you have issues with AppleALC, Lilu, or WhateverGreen or if you just don't want to use them, you can run without them. Just connect your monitor to last DisplayPort and use a USB audio device...

Technically, you can run Radeon VII without WhateverGreen. However, you will lose HDMI/DisplayPort audio and only the the last DisplayPort (furthest away from the HDMI port) will work.

I included WhateverGreen to make HDMI/DisplayPort audio work and to make all the video out ports work.

If/when you have issues with AppleALC, Lilu, or WhateverGreen or if you just don't want to use them, you can run without them. Just connect your monitor to last DisplayPort and use a USB audio device...
Thank you for the further information. I assume the drivers for this card are still maturing, and full native support may come soon?

This is why I am asking about StarTech DisplayPort MST hubs, I want to know if they work in macOS so I can connect all my displays to my GPU using DisplayPort cables.

Have you tried to use a Mac Pro SM I would guess all the ports might work without WEG if you do.

Radeon VII audio and all ports work here without WEG on newest 10.5.1 beta :). Netflix DRM seems to work better too and doesn’t throw an error after like 10 or so minutes of watching.

Have you tried to use a Mac Pro SM I would guess all the ports might work without WEG if you do.

Honestly, I don't remember which system definition I was using when I tested. I went through so many configurations when trying to figure out why wake wasn't working with my Z370...

Currently, I am using iMacPro1,1 but video is routed through my Thunderbolt 3 card.

Honestly, I don't remember which system definition I was using when I tested. I went through so many configurations when trying to figure out why wake wasn't working with my Z370...

Currently, I am using iMacPro1,1 but video is routed through my Thunderbolt 3 card.
Back when I was trying to solve my issues I discovered that if you were using one of the SM that was not an iMac the ports all worked without WEG. I think that was including Mac mini.

Back when I was trying to solve my issues I discovered that if you were using one of the SM that was not an iMac the ports all worked without WEG. I think that was including Mac mini.

Hmmm... Interesting... I'll have to give it a try with iMacPro1,1.

Right now, I have cables from two of the DisplayPort outs to two Mini DisplayPort ins on my Thunderbolt 3 card.
Then I use the DisplayPort out on the Thunderbolt 3 card to my monitor.

I did it so that I wouldn't lose those two little cables that came with the Thunderbolt 3 card. It' supposed to allow for 5K support (assuming the DisplayPort outs from the video card are working) but I don't have a 5K monitor to test...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back