Contribute
Register

Radeon VII (and new AMD gpus) compatibility

Status
Not open for further replies.
do I have to change some settings in macOS or FinalCut so that it actually uses the the GPU for exporting/rendering?
It seems not faster than on my Macbook Pro 15" 2016 - and that would be a bummer for sure. A 13min 4K clip takes roughly 30minutes to export?
thanks!
Mine is slower than my old vega56 in FC, actually it is close in performance to my old Rx580. I don't know how a few people got 7s on bruce5k. My hope is 10.15. In heaven though it is a beast!

I'm running with iMac Pro smbios since this morning. I disabled my GPU in the bios. My system is more stable than using iMac 18,3 or 19,1. So far so good, not a single lag or slowdown today.

I would advise to move to iMac Pro smbios if you have stability issues with your VII.

I will update the thread if I get some slowdown in the next few days.
Using MacPro1,1 smbios and it is working great, no glitches so far. Thank you!

i use it under 10.14.5 beta 4 and it's super slow....
iGPU is disabled so there really only is the Radeon VII to use as far as GPU goes

Using MacPro1,1 smbios and it is working great, no glitches so far. Thank you!

Glad to hear :)

Day 2 update: Still no slowdown and lag so far. This is looking good guys!

Edit: Well, it stills not 100% perfect. I had a slowdown in the afternoon. I had to kill WindowServer in the process to get all the speed back.

It might be the cause to our problems.

From Quora: WindowServer is a system service that acts as the liaison between OS X apps and your Mac's graphics hardware. Basically, if an app wants to draw something on your Mac's screen, WindowServer is the one telling the graphics card what and where to draw it.

Last edited:
Glad to hear :)

Day 2 update: Still no slowdown and lag so far. This is looking good guys!

Edit: Well, it stiils not 100% perfect. I had a slowdown in the afternoon. I had to kill WindowServer in the process to get all the speed back.

It might be the cause to our problems.

For Quora: WindowServer is a system service that acts as the liaison between OS X apps and your Mac's graphics hardware. Basically, if an app wants to draw something on your Mac's screen, WindowServer is the one telling the graphics card what and where to draw it.
I didn't have slowdowns or freezes yet, but today experienced some audio glitches, very minor though.

Screenshot 2019-05-21 at 23.53.40.pngScreenshot 2019-05-21 at 23.51.29.png

metal & opencl

WEG just released a new version with "Added AMD Radeon VII to detected list"

I don't know if it will change something.

I added the new Whatevergreen, AppleALC and Lilu, but no change for me; audio still not perfect, scratchy and halting at times

I added the new Whatevergreen, AppleALC and Lilu, but no change for me; audio still not perfect, scratchy and halting at times
No difference for me too. Audio problems can be mostly fixed with iMacPro1,1 smbios.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back