Contribute
Register

Radeon VII (and new AMD gpus) compatibility

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello I want to make a report about the lastest beta with the Radeon VII, I tried with the 10.14.5 beta 5 with my X299 build with my Core i9 7980XE, and I am quite happy right now...

I had problems with crashes when I tried to use Final Cut, the computer got restarted inmediatly I tried to edit something... well right now no crashes at all... I could test BruceX5K and it took 7 seconds to finish quite impresive.

I have full acceleration with the iMacPro1.1 smbios, h264/h265 with hardware encoding/decoding, I transcode with Premiere 1 minute in h264 in 4K and it took only 36 seconds... impresive too... I had problems before trying to encode h265, premiere and other software crashed when I tried to encode, they are gonne this problems at all, and is really fast but I think it could be faster, h265 4K 1 minute to transcode tooked 1 minute and 30 seconds, I think it could be faster but I am happy is stable right now...

I tried to encode Apple Pro res 4K/8K/12K and is still really slow compared with windows, and my Vega 64, it took at least 60% more time, but is stable, before the computer got really laggy when it was encoding this formats but right now not at all but is still slow...

Geekbench still get 157000 points, hmmm still not working with full power I think...

In games is totally crazy, I tried with Rise of the Tomb Raider 4K max out settings (even the experimental ones that decrease a lot performance) From 53 to 70FPS!!!! **** my life it was a 30% more increase performance...

In general the stability, the performance and the user experience is really quite better, right now I am editing 4K projects and the performance and stability is rock solid and really good, right now all the issues about crashes, random lags and restarts are gone, right now I am just waiting to Apple to improve the performance of the Radeon VII.

To test this I think you have just to set you Hackintosh in socket 1151 the iMacPro1,1 smbios and disable the igpu to make the Radeon VII work alone, and I think you will have my results too... is totally stable right now... the performance in some scenarios are quite better... but I am so exciting to see how it will go in the future updates...

And I almost forgot, I tried with 3 4K monitors, just perfect... no problems and excelent performance and no crashes...

Hello I want to make a report about the lastest beta with the Radeon VII, I tried with the 10.14.5 beta 5 with my X299 build with my Core i9 7980XE, and I am quite happy right now...

I had problems with crashes when I tried to use Final Cut, the computer got restarted inmediatly I tried to edit something... well right now no crashes at all... I could test BruceX5K and it took 7 seconds to finish quite impresive.

I have full acceleration with the iMacPro1.1 smbios, h264/h265 with hardware encoding/decoding, I transcode with Premiere 1 minute in h264 in 4K and it took only 36 seconds... impresive too... I had problems before trying to encode h265, premiere and other software crashed when I tried to encode, they are gonne this problems at all, and is really fast but I think it could be faster, h265 4K 1 minute to transcode tooked 1 minute and 30 seconds, I think it could be faster but I am happy is stable right now...

I tried to encode Apple Pro res 4K/8K/12K and is still really slow compared with windows, and my Vega 64, it took at least 60% more time, but is stable, before the computer got really laggy when it was encoding this formats but right now not at all but is still slow...

Geekbench still get 157000 points, hmmm still not working with full power I think...

In games is totally crazy, I tried with Rise of the Tomb Raider 4K max out settings (even the experimental ones that decrease a lot performance) From 53 to 70FPS!!!! **** my life it was a 30% more increase performance...

In general the stability, the performance and the user experience is really quite better, right now I am editing 4K projects and the performance and stability is rock solid and really good, right now all the issues about crashes, random lags and restarts are gone, right now I am just waiting to Apple to improve the performance of the Radeon VII.

To test this I think you have just to set you Hackintosh in socket 1151 the iMacPro1,1 smbios and disable the igpu to make the Radeon VII work alone, and I think you will have my results too... is totally stable right now... the performance in some scenarios are quite better... but I am so exciting to see how it will go in the future updates...

And I almost forgot, I tried with 3 4K monitors, just perfect... no problems and excelent performance and no crashes...

Great to hear the progress. I'm holding a 1080ti and stuck in HS. Can't wait to get a Radeon VII.....Thx mate!

Hello, I want to make more reports, I already tested my Radeon VII with my 1151 socket machine, as I said I disabled the iGPU and with the iMacPro1,1 smbios I have the same result like with the X299 build, the h264/h265 acceleration is working, and in general works like the other machine, so yes, the iMacPro1,1 smbios makes the magic when the igpu is off...

Other thing with my Monitor iTunes Movies works perfect, finally after so many years it detects HDCP and the movies run at full resolution... in the past I could not do it just in 720P because always iTunes said the monitor has no HDCP compatible, but right now with the lastest beta works just perfect...

After testing Beta 5 for a few days:

- It still freezes sometimes. Seems to be bluetooth related, mouse starts lagging before it freezes. After restart bluetooth won't work, need to shutdown computer for bluetooth to return.

- No audio glitches on motherboard audio anymore, but AirPods audio is pretty scratchy. Maybe it is related to bluetooth again.

Edit: 10.14.5 still freezes.

- AirPods working ok now!

Last edited:
10.14.5 has been released.
no improvement for the radeon 7....
on the contrary seems to be a regress
big trick ... amd has "done" it this time ... their luck as the nvidia came out of the grace of apple

Last edited:
I believe full acceleration will be out only when the new Mac Pro is released. Probably only in 10.15.

Has somebody a working Ultrafine 5K monitor together with a Radeon VII? I have problems. Sound and camera is working but display settings show me 2 ultrafines. The first one runs with 4k and the second is exactly the half picture of 5K. I don‘t have any other gpu to test but with win10 everything works fine (Titan Ridge Thunderbolt Card on Aorus Pro Wifi)

Hi, I ran a Sapphire Radeon VII on my x9Dai Dual E5-2670. Newest Clover and Lilu/Whatevergreen. Always after a while mostly opening Dialog Boxes, I get the Umbrella spinning a while, and then the Mousepointer vanishes and the Gui freezes completely. Backup, Disk Activity still goes on. ARD Connection not possible anymore. Attached the spindump

Attachments

• spindump.txt
    4.3 MB · Views: 536
Hi, I ran a Sapphire Radeon VII on my x9Dai Dual E5-2670. Newest Clover and Lilu/Whatevergreen. Always after a while mostly opening Dialog Boxes, I get the Umbrella spinning a while, and then the Mousepointer vanishes and the Gui freezes completely. Backup, Disk Activity still goes on. ARD Connection not possible anymore. Attached the spindump

How's the audio? Do you have crackles or scratchy audio on your HDMI/DP to the monitor connection? Do you have sound from your monitor or do you use another method for sound on your computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back