Contribute
Register

Radeon VII (and new AMD gpus) compatibility

Status
Not open for further replies.
have you reached my level of performance? over 200k? did you do something to touch it? or exceed the 1080 performance?

that's what I'm interested... in progress ... not talking about "dead"

tkx...
Radeon VII arrives tomorrow. I'll start testing and post results.

I want to report something interesting, I was not testing my x299 machine with my Radeon VII, because I needed h264/h265 asceleration and I was testing my Core i9 9900K socket 1151 with Quicksync, but I tested today again with the 10.14.5 beta 2 and I have hardware asceleration with the Radeon VII out of the box with my Core i9 7980XE... some screenshots... I am showing that I am making the test again, the only thing is it is not showing a Graphics but the asceleration shows and the VDAChecker shows acceleration is fully supported...even in premerie in h264/h265 the hardware acceleration shows and works...

Screen Shot 2019-04-16 at 8.00.26 AM.pngScreen Shot 2019-04-16 at 7.59.48 AM.pngScreen Shot 2019-04-16 at 7.59.53 AM.pngScreen Shot 2019-04-16 at 8.00.04 AM.pngScreen Shot 2019-04-16 at 8.07.48 AM.png

Last edited:
On a 7700K. This is the Sapphire Radeon VII, power management is working perfectly. Very quiet most of the time.

Not sure why Geekbench OpenCL comes out so much lower than Win10. I'll try other SMBIOS profiles.

Flashed new firmware in Windows (for UEFI fix from AMD). Card worked in macOS right away, no mods.

On a 7700K. This is the Sapphire Radeon VII, power management is working perfectly. Very quiet most of the time.

View attachment 400246

Not sure why Geekbench OpenCL comes out so much lower than Win10. I'll try other SMBIOS profiles.

Flashed new firmware in Windows (for UEFI fix from AMD). Card worked in macOS right away, no mods.
View attachment 400247
So you're recommending running the firmware update on Radeon VII?

So you're recommending running the firmware update on Radeon VII?
It's required for proper UEFI support. It would be annoying using the card without it. I'm unsure what (if any) impact it has for actual macOS usage.

no...if a new card have update from manufacturer...and wait for new beta release ...
What were your steps to get up over 200k in geekbench? I'd be interested to hear.

This is where I'm at so far:

Though, keep in mind that's a sad 7700K. I need to upgrade other hardware next.

What were your steps to get up over 200k in geekbench? I'd be interested to hear.

This is where I'm at so far:

Though, keep in mind that's a sad 7700K. I need to upgrade other hardware next.

I have made many changes to the dsdt level ... now I do not think it is relevant anymore ... to wait for the new beta version...a few more days ... I will detail when everything will be done by apple ... or maybe it will not be necessary... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back