Contribute
Register

Radeon VII (and new AMD gpus) compatibility

Status
Not open for further replies.
OMG The performance of the Radeon VII with this Core i9 9900K in 4k for Rise of The Tomb Raider with all settings max out is incredible, is between 55 to 84FPS!!!!! almost the double of the Vega 64 with the same settingssss!!!!!. Premiere is working a bit better than the X299, Final is working just perfect... Davinci Works amazing!!! 4K with Noise Reduction Temporal 3 Frames With Better Option and Luma/Chroma/Motion 50 is 35FPS (if you edit en 24FPS or 30FPS you will get realtime) with the Timeline config in 4K, and Config the TimeLine in 8K with that settings is 8FPS is so impresiveeee!!! I am getting more an more excited about this, hopefully it will get full support in the next update... Sorry The Screenshot is in Spanish...

Screen Shot 2019-04-03 at 3.32.49 PM.png

OMG The performance of the Radeon VII with this Core i9 9900K in 4k for Rise of The Tomb Raider with all settings max out is incredible, is between 55 to 84FPS!!!!! almost the double of the Vega 64 with the same settingssss!!!!!. Premiere is working a bit better than the X299, Final is working just perfect... Davinci Works amazing!!! 4K with Noise Reduction Temporal 3 Frames With Better Option and Luma/Chroma/Motion 50 is 35FPS (if you edit en 24FPS or 30FPS you will get realtime) with the Timeline config in 4K, and Config the TimeLine in 8K with that settings is 8FPS is so impresiveeee!!! I am getting more an more excited about this, hopefully it will get full support in the next update... Sorry The Screenshot is in Spanish...

I'll let you waste time ... none of what you're doing is not relevant ... all this I did 2 weeks ago and I repeat there is no hardware acceleration ... maybe you do not know how to test ... you're not excited I know what a mess of game ... here is a latest generation video card to be used in video editing and not games ... if you do not have more convincing cosider results than everything you do is off topic or repeat what has been said before ...

@Raftrix86 I think you should share your EFI folder to those (grumpy guy above) disbeliefing your setup works. Takes 2 minutes to make a bootable USB. Also share your bios settings.

Now something that stands out to me is your OpenCL is only 160.000. My Vega56 is around 190.000. Yet you score 6 seconds with BruceX, and mine is around the 14-15 second mark. I run a 5ghz 8700k / 32GB ram/ iGPU off.

I can’t get this to add up, unless those seconds are with iGPU doing the hardware encodeing.

Even when videoproc shows that hvec, etc., works. When you use a headless ID, the UHD 630 can do that. So the way to prove would be to disable iGPU in BIOS and let only run the Radeon. Then videoproc has to show that hvec, etc., works that would proove that hardware acceleration works? True or not? Somebody please correct me when I‘m wrong...

Hello, normally Quicksync works to encode h264/h265 with the smbios of a normal imac, it is posible to config to work with the Radeon but the best config is to activate the igpu in headless mode to activate quicksync. In the only setup I had hardware asceleration without igpu out of the box is in my X299 with my Core i9 7980XE and a Vega 64, because this processor doesn't have igpu (this type the processor is used in the iMacPro) the Vega64 does that task, but if you use a Vega64 with socket 1151 with SMBIOS of a normal iMac, this asceleration is not present if the igpu is not active. I tried some testing with a Radeon RX 580 with my X299 system and I don't have any asceleration for h264/h265 out of the box, only with the Vega64 (because it will be a close configuration of a iMacPro).

In other part, with the Radeon VII With my X299 setup I had Airplay but I didn't have h264/h265 encode/decode asceleration, and Final restarted the computer if I tried to edit. With this setup with the igpu in headless mode and normal imac smbios I have a mores stable work in all aspects. Hope in the future there will be a way to make the Radeon VII work like the Vega 64 with X299 and iMacPro Smbios.

In my Core i9 9900K and Radeon VII I disable the igpu and with the normal imac smbios, no hardware asceleration for the h264/h265 like in the x299, airplay is still working, but final is working and with the same performance (6 seconds export BruceX without the igpu) but Premiere when I tried to edit crushes, weird, with the igpu in headless no problems.

Last edited:
@Raftrix86 I think you should share your EFI folder to those (grumpy guy above) disbeliefing your setup works. Takes 2 minutes to make a bootable USB. Also share your bios settings.

Now something that stands out to me is your OpenCL is only 160.000. My Vega56 is around 190.000. Yet you score 6 seconds with BruceX, and mine is around the 14-15 second mark. I run a 5ghz 8700k / 32GB ram/ iGPU off.

I can’t get this to add up, unless those seconds are with iGPU doing the hardware encodeing.

Hello I tried with the iGPU disabled, and the export time is still 6 second with BruceX 5K test, anyway in the screenshot I shared you can see that the iGPU is not processing (in Intel Power Gadget) and in the Activity Monitor in the GPU History you can see that the Radeon VII is 100% usage... in this case the Radeon VII is doing all work.

The Radeon VII is working and detected out of the box with Mac OS 10.14.5 beta 1, but I think is the first release of support and the performance is really weird, in some cases the radeon works uffff super strong, in other cases works really bad. Well is a Beta and this is the initial support, Apple still have a lot of work making better drivers to make the Radeon VII works perfect in all cases... but as I said is a Beta, in some benchmarks it score really low, and in some software it works perfect an with awesome performance, in others worst than a RX 580... Well as I said is a Beta and is initial support... but in case you have a Radeon VII there is a way to make it work out of the box and in way more stable scenario with the last mojave beta...

Last edited:
I'll let you waste time ... none of what you're doing is not relevant ... all this I did 2 weeks ago and I repeat there is no hardware acceleration ... maybe you do not know how to test ... you're not excited I know what a mess of game ... here is a latest generation video card to be used in video editing and not games ... if you do not have more convincing cosider results than everything you do is off topic or repeat what has been said before ...

Well right now I am confuse, what do you mean when you say there is no hardware asceleration? because right now I am really confuse, do you mean about h264/h265 hardware asceleration encode/decode? or in general you are saying there is no hardware asceleration and the Radeon VII works in vesa mode? because there is hardware asceleration, OpenGL OpenCL works, Metal Works, well in a lot of cases with no optimal performance (in some really bad) in others really good as we want in a GPU like this but it works, it is not like is in vesa mode where all this software doesn't work at all (like the games without proper hardware asceleration the game can't run) and even the user interface is laggy.

Please really try to explain yourself because It is not clear what you mean exactly... and sorry to tell you this but there are some users that use our computers for gaming even if you think we should not do it, that is the magic of a workstation to use it in the most cases we probably want or can with the most balanced performance posible...

Well right now I am confuse, what do you mean when you say there is no hardware asceleration? because right now I am really confuse, do you mean about h264/h265 hardware asceleration encode/decode? or in general you are saying there is no hardware asceleration and the Radeon VII works in vesa mode? because there is hardware asceleration, OpenGL OpenCL works, Metal Works, well in a lot of cases with no optimal performance (in some really bad) in others really good as we want in a GPU like this but it works, it is not like is in vesa mode where all this software doesn't work at all (like the games without proper hardware asceleration the game can't run) and even the user interface is laggy.

Please really try to explain yourself because It is not clear what you mean exactly... and sorry to tell you this but there are some users that use our computers for gaming even if you think we should not do it, that is the magic of a workstation to use it in the most cases we probably want or can with the most balanced performance posible...

to avoid these inappropriate discussions and off topic, you have been invited by two members to post any configuration files and not explanations that have no purpose ... what is so hard to understand ...anyway in everything you say, you contradict yourself ... when radeon 7 works impeccably, when it has problems with important video editing applications ... decide yourself.... thank you... we waiting some files ... :)

to avoid these inappropriate discussions and off topic, you have been invited by two members to post any configuration files and not explanations that have no purpose ... what is so hard to understand ...anyway in everything you say, you contradict yourself ... when radeon 7 works impeccably, when it has problems with important video editing applications ... decide yourself.... thank you... we waiting some files ... :)
Not sure why you’re trolling so hard, Raftrix results and explanations are quite clear. Igpu in dual configs on OSX only do h264/h265 encode/decode, nothing more.

Not sure why you’re trolling so hard, Raftrix results and explanations are quite clear. Igpu in dual configs on OSX only do h264/h265 encode/decode, nothing more.

fals ... igpu+radeon 7 do nothing ... just have fake test ...

edit :
clover have now simbios 19.x .... no difference ... some thing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back