Contribute
Register

Radeon VII (and new AMD gpus) compatibility

Status
Not open for further replies.
@brandonhe How and where did you get that Clover boot screen? I want it so bad!
someone named ClaudesTech design first edition.
I modified it to my liking.
File is here.

Attachments

• RadeonVii.zip
    2.8 MB · Views: 319
My current state, when booting, will be black screen about 3 times, each time for half a second, then there is no abnormality. Safari can be used normally. I think the key point is to have a graphics card that can be driven at the same time, and then it is very easy to drive Radeon VII.

The backplate isn't really conclusive in terms of temperature though, as the V64 cards had a different cooling profile – not to mention they used more power. I noticed the difference clearly when playing the same games from Steam on my VII compared to using the VII in Windows. The fan was suspiciously quiet in macOS vs Windows – which sets off alarm bells (I hope this doesn't damage the card).

I hope the next beta brings about proper support, although that seems unlikely given Apple's history in supporting newly released cards.

The backplate is a good indicator if the card is overheating you will feel it. Remember in windows the card is running at 1800MHZ, while on Vega 56/64 drivers we have only 1550 or so. So its probably running on a lower frequency than in windows = less heat.

So I'm a proper Noob. How do I inject this Kext to make this Radeon VII work?
I have a 2018 MBP 15 Vega 20 if that possible on this machine? I have 10.14.4 beta

So I'm a proper Noob. How do I inject this Kext to make this Radeon VII work?
I have a 2018 MBP 15 Vega 20 if that possible on this machine? I have 10.14.4 beta

Which version or beta number?

1. Go to top tool bar and select Finder, then scroll to Preferences and click. Check the box next to Hard drives. Now all attached drives will appear on the desktop.

2. Download xCode from Apple App Store.

3. Download kext wizard app.

4. Open the drive with 14.4 on desktop and select System, then open Library, then scroll to Extensions folder and open. Find the AMDRadeon5000kext and right click on it. Choose “show package contents”. You should see a Contents folder, open it and drag the info.plist to your desktop (do not try to edit inside the folder). Click on the desktop and go to top tool bar and select File, scroll to New Folder and select. Name the new folder backup info plist. Drag a second copy of the info.pmist to it as a backup.

5. Right click on the info.plist on the desktop and select Open With “xCode”. Scroll to the IOKitpersonalities arrow and open. Now open the Vega 10 tab. Use cursor to select an Device ID like 0x68AO1002 or one of the first few there. Click on it and replace the 68A0 with 66AF. The finished edit should be 0x66AF1002. Make sure not to add any spaces or delete any space between the IDs that are there. Now go to top tool bar and hit File-Save. Close the xCode window.

6. Now drag the info.plst back to the Contents folder and make sure to get BOTH “Authenticate” and “Replace” prompts, if you don’t get replace prompt hit cancel at password window. After replacing the plist you should see it drop into the proper place where the original was.

7. This is the most important part open Kext Wizard and select System/Library box and the make sure to select the correct drive at the bottom (target disk) before hitting Enter.

Now it should be ready for reboot and testing. Good Luck!

Last edited:
Mate your a champ. So if I can get it to work.
I have 18E194d beta
X Code working now

Let you know how I go

Mate your a champ. So if I can get it to work.
I have 18E194d beta
X Code working now

Let you know how I go

Here is the wizard if you can't find it.

Attachments

• Kext Wizard .zip
    1.1 MB · Views: 225
On the freezing thing (EDITED POINT 3):

I am pretty sure its not heat related. I managed to confirm the following:
  • Vega VII as only enabled display adapter: boots but with blank screen
  • Vega VII running with iGFX: Boots into MacOS GUI but freezes after a while (as noticed by others)
  • Vega VII in PCI1 and Vega 64 in PCI2 and PCI1 set as primary display output: everything works and no still freezing.
it looks like combining the Vega VII with iGFX causes the freezing to happen for me.

I think its framebuffer/driver related, not heat, and combining the two Vega cards works around this.

Hopefully we get better more compatible drivers in the next beta.

Last edited:
On the freezing thing:

I am pretty sure its not heat related. I managed to confirm the following:
  • Vega VII as only enabled display adapter: boots but with blank screen
  • Vega VII running with iGFX: Boots into MacOS GUI but freezes after a while (as noticed by others)
  • Vega VII in PCI1 and Vega 64 in PCI2 and PCI1 set as primary display output: everything works and no freezing.
it looks like combining the Vega VII with iGFX causes the freezing to happen for me.

I think its framebuffer/driver related, not heat, and combining the two Vega cards works around this.

Hopefully we get better more compatible drivers in the next beta.

I was able to get single card vii in 14.4.4 version 3 using DisplayPort next to HDMI, no black screen. But there is the freezing issue. I tested with Dual vii cards and it works, but with freeze issue.
Can you try testing vii with DisplayPort next to HDMI to confirm it will work solo?

I was able to get single card vii in 14.4.4 version 3 using DisplayPort next to HDMI, no black screen. But there is the freezing issue. I tested with Dual vii cards and it works, but with freeze issue.
Can you try testing vii with DisplayPort next to HDMI to confirm it will work solo?

I will test the Display Port next to HDMI . I am editing my previous post. Turns out after about an hour of using XCode it did freeze :(

I still have both cards plugged in but running from the Vega 64 for now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back