Contribute
Register

Radeon VII (and new AMD gpus) compatibility

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm, I am only getting 47k for an OpenCL score under Mojave 10.14.6. I am getting 59464 for Metal score which seems quite good. I am using the latest Geekbench 5.1 as well. Was your 65k for OpenCL or Metal? Also, are you on Mojave or Catalina?

I'm only getting around 43-49k in OpcenCL. The 65k was a Metal score and if I run it a couple times it ranges between 58k-65k.

I'm using Catalina 10.15.2

Ok that sounds closer to what I am used to seeing. Perhaps a bit of a better driver set under Catalina? I will be holding off on Catalina for a bit and let Mojave be for a bit.

Hey guys, I have recently added a Radeon VII to my setup. Worked OOB with three monitors - 2x1080, 1x4k - using WEG Kext. I have an issue with using HDMI audio with my 4k monitor however, which has only started happening since changing over to the Radeon VII. After a short while (perhaps 5 or 10 minutes) of playing a video, HDMI audio cuts out. It returns if I disconnect/reconnect monitor from the source. I'm not using AudioALC kext due to well known sleep/wake issues with my setup using Catalina. Has anyone else experienced this phenomena?

Update: Have now added applealc kext to the fold and the problem persists. Also, if audio cuts out, I can put my computer in sleep mode and upon waking HDMI audio returns, however I'd rather fix the issue properly.

Last edited:
@Wolfster I haven't even tried to tackle sleeping yet for my desktop, feels like a problem for another day ;). I am using 2 displayport connections, it has supported plug and play so that has been great.

Hey guys, I have recently added a Radeon VII to my setup. Worked OOB with three monitors - 2x1080, 1x4k - using WEG Kext. I have an issue with using HDMI audio with my 4k monitor however, which has only started happening since changing over to the Radeon VII. After a short while (perhaps 5 or 10 minutes) of playing a video, HDMI audio cuts out. It returns if I disconnect/reconnect monitor from the source. I'm not using AudioALC kext due to well known sleep/wake issues with my setup using Catalina. Has anyone else experienced this phenomena?

Update: Have now added applealc kext to the fold and the problem persists. Also, if audio cuts out, I can put my computer in sleep mode and upon waking HDMI audio returns, however I'd rather fix the issue properly.

Hello, same for me.
When I want audio again, I have to
Code:
sudo killall coreaudiod
and then
Code:
coreaudiod

Otherwise,

My Open CL score : 51944

I saw a 139 632 here :

And the average score on geeckbench is about 82834 !!!

RaeonVII.png

Hello, same for me.
When I want audio again, I have to
Code:
sudo killall coreaudiod
and then
Code:
coreaudiod

Otherwise,

My Open CL score : 51944

I saw a 139 632 here :

And the average score on geeckbench is about 82834 !!!

View attachment 446271

He uses Geekbench 4 for the video you linked. You used Geekbench 5. The scoring system has changed considerably between the two versions to the extent that they are incomparable.

Regarding audio issues, post on this thread as the guys over there were very forthcoming in suggesting solutions. That being said, I've been unable to rectify the HDMI audio issues with mine. I'm hoping Catalina 10.15.3 will fix the issue for me. For now I am using an external sound card.

He uses Geekbench 4 for the video you linked. You used Geekbench 5. The scoring system has changed considerably between the two versions to the extent that they are incomparable.

Regarding audio issues, post on this thread as the guys over there were very forthcoming in suggesting solutions. That being said, I've been unable to rectify the HDMI audio issues with mine. I'm hoping Catalina 10.15.3 will fix the issue for me. For now I am using an external sound card.

Thanks, You're right !!!

With Geekbench 4 the open CL score is 147689 !!!
For the sound I'm going to read this thread.

Capture d’écran 2020-01-26 à 13.09.18.png

I’m trying to find up to date information on Vega vii cards on UEFI bios MoBo. I read a post a while ago about only one brand of card being available with UEFI bios out the box. Is that still true? And which card is it? Or is it possible to use any branded GPU now with relative ease. I’m looking for the easiest install possible at the moment for a Vega vii on my system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back