Contribute
Register

Radeon VII (and new AMD gpus) compatibility

Status
Not open for further replies.
very cool! I just ordered a XFX Radeaon VII (i have the Vegan64 sapphire nitro no). All the reviews say the card is loud AF. How was your experience noise wise? did you use VegaTab to make it less noisy? How does it compare to what you had before?

I use it for my desktop and have not had to deal with noise much. I have a large case with plenty of fans though.

My Radeon VII is much more quiet than my Vega 64 ever was, and because I used to have Sapphire Vega 64 (don't get me wrong, they are great cards), my Radeon VII also takes up much less space.

My Radeon VII is much more quiet than my Vega 64 ever was, and because I used to have Sapphire Vega 64 (don't get me wrong, they are great cards), my Radeon VII also takes up much less space.

Yeah, my Radeon VII has also been very quiet.

I use it for my desktop and have not had to deal with noise much. I have a large case with plenty of fans though.

ah ok cool! thanks for the insight! so are you saying that the plenty of fans wash out the noise from the RVII or that the keep the card so cool that it doesnt make a lot of noise? from research, the RVII ramps up because the junction temperature on the die is high not the whole card. curious.

@pastrychef did you do any mods to minimize noise of the Radeaon VII or it was ok out of box? all reviews complained about the noise so curious on your experience too since I saw you went from VEGA56 to RVII (just ordered my RVII for 800CAD)

@pastrychef did you do any mods to minimize noise of the Radeaon VII or it was ok out of box? all reviews complained about the noise so curious on your experience too since I saw you went from VEGA56 to RVII (just ordered my RVII for 800CAD)

Under normal circumstances, I would have tried to replace the thermal paste with liquid metal. However, the Radeon uses a special thermal pad and I wasn't sure how much of a gap would be left if I removed the thermal pad so I just left everything at stock. I've never even taken the card apart.

Even when gaming in Windows, my Radeon VII stays quiet. I do use the AMD drivers to undervolt the card a bit which helps keep temps down.

A simple mod to replace the fans with 120mm fans should help with the noise:

My radeon vii is still being shipped, so I don't know how noisy it is.

Here is a guide for undervolting (and overclocking) the Radeon VII with a hackintosh, which should also help with the noise:

Last edited:
very cool! I just ordered a XFX Radeaon VII (i have the Vegan64 sapphire nitro no). All the reviews say the card is loud AF. How was your experience noise wise? did you use VegaTab to make it less noisy? How does it compare to what you had before?
Hi Greenleaf,
Does your XFX runs fine ?
I just ordered one and hope it will be ok !

I was able to pickup a new AMD 50th Anniversary Red Radeon VII. It has been running quiet even underload. I had FakeSMC with another kext showing me the gpu temp, I am assuming it was accurate. I moved to VirtualSMC and lost the ability, so I will be switching back.

I think the Geekbench 5.1 update fixed the weird GPU numbers. I'm getting around 65k with my Radeon VII now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back