Contribute
Register

Radeon Software Adrenalin Edition for Windows Not Compatible with Boot Camp?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GIGABYTE AORUS Z370 Gaming 7
CPU
i7-8086K
Graphics
RX 480
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
  3. Mac Pro
Has anyone tested to see if a RX xxx will still work in macOS after getting the Radeon Software Adrenalin Edition for Windows?

On the support page it says,
NOTE:
This driver is not intended for use on AMD Radeon products running in Apple Boot Camp platforms. Users of these platforms should contact their system manufacturer for driver support.
http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-art...-Adrenalin-Edition-17.12.1-Release-Notes.aspx

I have a RX 480 in a Mac Pro 5,1.
I don't use Windows but I might in the future for gaming and was wonding if it would brick my card if I installed it.
The warning note doesn't say "not compatible" or "will no longer be able to boot macOS." To me "not intended" sounds like a soft maybe. I know there are cards with dual-bios but not mine.

Has anyone tested to see if a RX xxx will still work in macOS after getting the Radeon Software Adrenalin Edition for Windows?

NOTE:
This driver is not intended for use on AMD Radeon products running in Apple Boot Camp platforms. Users of these platforms should contact their system manufacturer for driver support.
http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-art...-Adrenalin-Edition-17.12.1-Release-Notes.aspx

I don't use Windows but I might in the future for gaming and was wonding if it would brick my card if I installed it.
The warning note doesn't say "not compatible" or "will no longer be able to boot macOS." To me "not intended" sounds like a soft maybe. I know there are cards with dual-bios but not mine.

I beleive they mean that it is not apple>windows boot camp compatible. As long as it doesn't flash the bios you should be OK. I will test with one of my RX 480s and report back tomorrow.

I did it

NOTE:

The RX 480 still works after updating to windows AMD Adreneline driver and then rebooting in High Sierra 13.2 with no problems.

I did it

The RX 480 still works after updating to windows AMD Adreneline driver and then rebooting in High Sierra 13.2 with no problems.
Thank you for testing, Gigamaxx. Appreciate that. :thumbup:

I did it

thanks for testing Adrenalin. I will install it on the windows partition next week

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back