Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-Z97X-UD7 TH
CPU
i7 4790K
Graphics
RX 480
I got a 95% stable config now with my Hacintosh except for some really peculiar glitches with my Rx480 card. The card actually crashes and you can see reboot attempts in the system log file:

Jan 26 20:11:35 hacmac com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.DumpGPURestart): Service only ran for 2 seconds. Pushing respawn out by 8 seconds.
Jan 26 20:11:44 hacmac com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.DumpGPURestart): Service only ran for 1 seconds. Pushing respawn out by 9 seconds.

This goes on forever, all Finder windows frozen, mouse is still moving...

This happens occasionally in FinalCutPro but systematically when using an explicit hardware encoding like in "HandBrake" or the "VideoProc" App. Here it freezes when displaying the config screen.
What is confusing that the card is fully recognized by the system:
Radeon RX 480:

Chipset Model: Radeon RX 480
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
PCIe Lane Width: x8
VRAM (Dynamic, Max): 8192 MB
Vendor: AMD (0x1002)
Device ID: 0x67df
Revision ID: 0x00c7
Metal: Supported, feature set macOS GPUFamily1 v3
VDADecoderChecker Output:
GVA info: [11.6.8] AVFQTX_CreateInstance 0x107765000, [1920x1056::1280x720] profile_level:77:41, tt(fp):0(0), usage:0, frame_mbs:1, di:0, dither:1, oold:0, boostOff:1, stream_ram:0, stream_buf_size:2097152, fmt: 420v ...
GVA info: AVFQTX_CreateInstance, GFX:0 ,Bandwidth:755343360, PhysicalAccelerator create error = 0
GVA info: AVFQTX_DisposeInstance 0x107765000, scheduled:0, output:0, high_perf:0[ nan%], blocked:0[ nan%], error:0, slices:0, maxFrameSize:0
Hardware acceleration is fully supported
For clover there is nothing special:
Bootflags: -raddvi -raddbg
Graphics: RadeonDeinit = Set, Inject Intel = Set ig-platform-id= 0x0d220003 (although iGPU is disabled in BIOS as system does not boot otherwise - allocation errors)
latest version of Lilu (V1.5.1) and WhatEverGreen (V1.4.6) in L/E

An old benchmark App like "LuxMark" recognizes that card and uses it at full load. :rolleyes:

Get rid of that gpu and move on. Either that or flash the bios to something of the sapphire variety.

A few years ago, around the time apple dropped nvidia support, I bought my first Radeon, an xfx 560, and the damn thing would kernel panic immediately upon macOS load. What a piece of garbage. I was so upset and disappointed, since I’d never ever had an nvidia card crap out on me, and did not want a Radeon. But I flashed a sapphire bios onto the card and it’s been working well since.

yep, that might be the "hard way". But I wanna give at least a try as the card works 95%fine and also ok for my other Bootdisk with Windows 8.
All Docs and hints here indicate to enable the onboard Intel HD4600 GPU. I might try again this route but so far the system never booted with an enabled iGPU...

I tried with old default iMac14,1 then iMac14,2 now with iMac15,1. All booting fine but no improvement for the GPU problem
Currently trying:
with clover Device Properties inject AAPL,ig-platform-id = 0x402100B (althoug iGPU still not enabled in BIOS)

I would recommend you give iMacPro1,1 SMBIOS a try. On a real Mac, this profile only has a discreet GPU so it should work with your RX 480. I am using it with a Vega 64 and haven't had any issues.

Don't inject that device property since you have the iGPU disabled in BIOS.

Thanks for your hint. Unfortunately it does change anything. I assume the card is recogniized as possible "hardware encoder" but the driver(s) do not communicate properly leading to a GPU crash.
As my Haswell system is rather old I do not expect improvement from latest Lilu, WhatEverGreen extensions. I assume people focus on modern hardware now.

Maybe I manage the iGPU (HD 4600) to get initialised. So far there is always an "memory allocation error" in the early boot process no matter how much RAM I allocate to the iGPU in the BIOS settings. Maybe I can patch something there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back