Contribute
Register

Radeon RX 590

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those that don't know, AMD is releasing their RX 590 two days from now:
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/powercolor-red-devil-radeon-rx-590-specs,38069.html
https://wccftech.com/amd-radeon-rx-590-polaris-30-specs-price-performance-leak/

So if you were looking for a Radeon card to purchase, you might want to hold off until this is out as it may help drive the 580, 570, and 560 prices down. With that said, I don't think it will alter Vega56/64 prices though (but that's just my opinion). That is unless what you're looking at has a can't miss price, then go for it.

Last edited:
Do you think the 590 will work in the Hackintosh as well?

I have no idea. I would probably stay away and just go with what works for the moment. That is the safest bet unless you like experimenting.

I have been watching this super closely... I want to try the 590 but not sure I want to be a pioneer.

The card is basically the same as the 580 with a die-shrink, but I'm not sure that macOS will be able to identify it and load the driver correctly...

580 prices may also stay the same and push 590 back over $300 for OEM cards.

Thanks for the heads-up. Just bought an RX 570 that I can return for a month, so this leaves time for testing and a possible upgrade to RX 580 if prices actually go down more. They have dropped significantly over the last two weeks already. My Sapphire Nitro+ RX 570 4GB was only 163€.

The device ID that has been shown is 0x6FDF1002, which hasn’t shown up in the MacOS Kexts. I plan on getting one and testing if my local supplier has any. It will most likely need editing to get it to work for now, if it does work.

Fingers crossed!

Some of the tech tubers I've been watching suggest its basically a higher clocked 580, so there is always hope.

For you early adapters, be sure to look at the RX 590's cooler. The card could be like some of the Nitro+ cards and be a 2+ card slot width. So, this might not be a problem for ATX size motherboards (what's a loss of one slot cost? :D), but this could be a problem for mATX and ITX motherboards. BTW, everything I've read on the card speaking a design for gamers. That could be the reason for the larger coolers.

Some of the tech tubers I've been watching suggest its basically a higher clocked 580
Why not just buy a good brand of 580 and overclock it then ? Doesn't make sense to pay $280 for a slightly higher clocked card that you can get for $199 right now. I would buy the best 580 available that works with macOS and overclock it. This is just a way for AMD to generate hype and make more sales.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back