Contribute
Register

Radeon RX 580 Sapphire 8GB Black Screen.

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Designare Z390
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
MacBook Air, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Quadra
Mobile Phone
iOS
Yes, I've tried both HDMI-to-HDMI connections and they work. But I noticed that the colors using the HDMI connection are over-saturated (a bit too much, it seems to me) compared to the use of DVI and DP connections.
I will try to change the preset calibration options available Via the monitor OSD menu.
If both HDMI ports are working properly (i.e. synchronizing properly when Mojave changes resolution during boot), but the two DP ports are not, then I suspect the firmware on the monitor. Have you tried switching to a lower resolution on the DP input and then rebooting with DP-to-DP to see whether the login screen appears without needing to power cycle the monitor?

OK. Done, thank You
For the post-installation phase I used Multibeast v. 11.2.1: the "drivers64UEFI" folder installed with multibeast to replace with the one according to your guide was a little different from the one indicated in your guide:
View attachment 404973
View attachment 404974
I don't know if this could have created a problem
Your CLOVER and IOReg configurations both look correct. IGPU@2 is working properly with headless platform ID 0x3E980003.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 580
I see you have an RX 580 used by Apple developers, part number 113-4E353BU-O50, and it's auto enabling the frambuffer Orinoco.
I removed the SSDT RX 580 and you will try to boot without whatevergreen using boot args -wegoff (its already there)
Also I changed your SMBIOS to iMac 18.3 because you're using DGPU + IGPU.
You might try other frambuffers : Dayman, Guariba, Radeon. Check Ioreg if you really enabled the frambuffer.
I tried with the changes you propose (only Orinoco framebuffer for now) but unfortunately it doesn't work: after starting from Clover the screen goes black and it doesn't resume even turning the monitor on and off.
If both HDMI ports are working properly (i.e. synchronizing properly when Mojave changes resolution during boot), but the two DP ports are not, then I suspect the firmware on the monitor. Have you tried switching to a lower resolution on the DP input and then rebooting with DP-to-DP to see whether the login screen appears without needing to power cycle the monitor?

Your CLOVER and IOReg configurations both look correct. IGPU@2 is working properly with headless platform ID 0x3E980003.
I tried switching to a lower resolution (1600x1000) via System preferences --> Monitor, but it did not work
I thought of testing the hardware functionality by starting the system from a Ubuntu 18.04.02 USB live installer and it seems to work (DP-to-DP) without problems.
Can this test exclude a hardware problem?

Motherboard
GIGABYTE Z170M D3H
CPU
i5-6500
Graphics
RX 480
Mac
iMac
I tried with the changes you propose (only Orinoco framebuffer for now) but unfortunately it doesn't work: after starting from Clover the screen goes black and it doesn't resume even turning the monitor on and off.

I tried switching to a lower resolution (1600x1000) via System preferences --> Monitor, but it did not work
I thought of testing the hardware functionality by starting the system from a Ubuntu 18.04.02 USB live installer and it seems to work (DP-to-DP) without problems.

Try without WEG?

Motherboard
Asrock B365M Phantom Gaming
CPU
i5-9600KF
Graphics
UHD 630 + RX 580
Mobile Phone
iOS

The problem is The framebuffer, you can’t change it. Try to patch the framebuffer’s video ports to your need.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 580
The problem is The framebuffer, you can’t change it. Try to patch the framebuffer’s video ports to your need.
Trying other framebuffer definitions (Dayman, Guariba, Radeon) as You suggest in a previous post or in a more analitical way?
I noticed Via Hackintool that 6 ports are detected instead of the 5 existing ones on the Sapphire RX 580 pulse

Last edited:
Motherboard
CPU
i5-9600KF
Graphics
UHD 630 + RX 580
Mobile Phone
iOS
Did you seen any frambuffer load besides Orinoco? My guess is that you can't, show Ioreg.
Do you understand that your GPU loads Orinoco by default? You need to patch the framebuffer.
My GPU also has 6 ports thx to Apple changes, was 5 in the past.

Motherboard
GIGABYTE Z170M D3H
CPU
i5-6500
Graphics
RX 480
Mac
iMac
Did you seen any frambuffer load besides Orinoco? My guess is that you can't, show Ioreg.
Do you understand that your GPU loads Orinoco by default? You need to patch the framebuffer.
WEG uses radeonFramebuffer (Generic) by default. Try removing WEG and setting Framebuffer Dayman, Guarriba etc...

Motherboard
CPU
i5-9600KF
Graphics
UHD 630 + RX 580
Mobile Phone
iOS
WEG uses radeonFramebuffer (Generic) by default. Try removing WEG and setting Framebuffer Dayman, Guarriba etc...
Big lol. You don’t know what you’re talking about.
Radeon RX 580 with part number 113-4E353BU and 113-4E3531U will load Orinoco framebuffer by default.
The only way to change this is to edit the gpu bios so it will load any framebuffer you want.
Other options are framebuffer patch. https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-how-to-patch-amd-framebuffers-for-high-sierra-using-clover.235409/

Last edited:
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 580
I would like to clarify the initial problem: with the monitor connected via DP port at boot after Apple logo and progress bar the screen goes black with the message:
"entering power save mode"
power cycling the monitor log-in screen the log-in screen resume.
In summary, the solution you suggest for a RX 580 + UHD headless mode configuration would be:
- using iMac 18.3 sysdef according the config.plist You provided
- do not use Lilu + WhatEverGreen kexts preventing loading with -wegoff
- remove RX580 SSDT
If this doesn't work:
- try patching framebuffer according this guide framebuffer patch. https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-how-to-patch-amd-framebuffers-for-high-sierra-using-clover.235409/
??

p.s. today after setting DVMT Pre-Allocated = 128M (lilu + whatevergreen mode), trying to restart, the login screen appeared two or three times with a two/three second delay. In subsequent reboots the problem has recurred again (no login screen) even if I had made any changes to the configuration.

Last edited:
Motherboard
CPU
i5-9600KF
Graphics
UHD 630 + RX 580
Mobile Phone
iOS
Doesn’t make sense, IGPU doesn’t have video output, only the changes for the AMD Gpu should be visible.
Please change to iMac Pro 1,1 and disable the IGPU. Now with 10.14.5 update should work.
Your problem is a black screen or only the login screen?