i7-7700K
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi,

I am struggling to make the Sapphire Radeon RX580 NITRO+ working. Everything is almost fine, except for the overall performance, which is lower that other users claim.

But the greatest problem is that after some time of work the GPU drops significantly in performance (6x) and it usually leads graphically intensive applications to freeze, sometimes the whole system.

I checked many times with Luxmark that when I boot, I get about 13700 in the Luxball test. After some time the mouse start stuttering and when I run Luxmark I get only 2300 ... :(

I tried many different setups - with RadeonDeInit, without it, with Lilu+Whatevergreen, with different framebuffers and ig-platform-id's, etc.

Does anyone have an idea where the problem could be?

Thanks!!!

Hi,

I had the same problem and I changed the machine model from iMac 14.2 to Mac Pro 6.1. Maybe this helps:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...-score-drops-after-playing-any-videos.241564/

Thank You very much. I will give it a try. I know I had some problems with the MacPro 6.1 definition, so I can't use it, but I can try the iMac 18.2. I am using iMac 18.3, which performs better than iMac 17, but not without issues ...

By the way, do You know how to rename the PEG0 device to GFX0, as was suggested in that thread? There is some example but I think it's not usable.

I'm not at home now but it looks something like this in your config.plist under DSDT/Patches

Code:
                <dict>
                    <key>Comment</key>
                    <string>Intel GPU PM. Rename GFX0 to IGPU</string>
                    <key>Disabled</key>
                    <false/>
                    <key>Find</key>
                    <data>R0ZYMA==</data>
                    <key>Replace</key>
                    <data>SUdQVQ==</data>
                </dict>
                <dict>
                    <key>Comment</key>
                    <string>Rename PEGP to GFX0</string>
                    <key>Find</key>
                    <data>
                    UEVHUA==
                    </data>
                    <key>Replace</key>
                    <data>
                    R0ZYMA==
                    </data>
                </dict>

You can try it, but I am also not sure, sorry

This is disheartening to hear that AMD is also having performance issues.

I think it may be High Sierra that's the issue, by .3 and most likely .5 and .6 the performance will be top notch. There was a lot of graphical work done under the hood for High Sierra.

With the 980Ti's it lags a ton for me sometimes making me very angry during usage especially when I have Adobe apps open.

I have it running on 17,1 but will try 6,1 that might fix my issues too.

My performance seems more stable now after renaming the ACPI device to GFX0 but I still do get a freeze - usually video related, like starting a slack video call or doing some work with iMovie. Sigh.

You can try it, but I am also not sure, sorry

Unfortunatelly id didn't work ... :( With this I got the low performance just from the boot. I also tried changing SMBIOS to 18,2 as recommended by some, but it had no effect ... too bad ... I was hoping something would help.

My performance seems more stable now after renaming the ACPI device to GFX0 but I still do get a freeze - usually video related, like starting a slack video call or doing some work with iMovie. Sigh.

I've noticed freezes too and restarts. Make sure you have your GPU set to PEG and your iGPU is off in the BIOS.

Also make sure you're using the proper SSDT. There was something else I did that fixed the freeze, but I'll get back to you on that.

I'm wondering if the stuttering has to do with not having TRIM enabled?

I have an AHCI NVME (SAMSUNG SM951 MZHPV256HDGL) 512GB SSD and does anyone think that might be it? High Sierra supports NVME natively now maybe I should buy one...

I am using an AHCI Samsung SM951. No stuttering mouse for me... I'm on High Sierra 10.13.2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back