Contribute
Register

Radeon RX 570 and RX 580, how good is the native support?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-H170M-D3H
CPU
i5-6600
Graphics
MSI GTX 960 2GB
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Plus
  2. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
High Sierra is here but no updated drivers and I read online that the relationship between Apple and Nvidia has soured. On top of that, there have always been small bugs with the Nvidia web drivers. So, I'm now seriously considering the move to an AMD card as Apple has native support for those.

2 questions,
- are the 570 and 580 cards you see for sale 100% compatible or do we need special versions?
- does anyone have any experience with these 2 cards?

I'm in the same boat as you mate. Actually I'm fed up with NVidia support in hacks. My best experience so far (since 10.4) was with 5770. My GTX760 even lost support in Lightroom.
For Adobe apps (PS, LR) Nvidia is too glitchy so I'm looking to get back to AMD ASAP.
As far as I know most if not all RX570/580 brands work by using Lilu and WhateverGreen kexts.
I'm going for the MSI RX580 Gaming X since my present and past card have been gaming series and are dead silent in apps, only during gaming the fans will start to spin and imitate a vacuum cleaner.
Maybe with the next OS upgrade they'll go back to Nvidia :crazy:

Hi... have u got RX580?
i am interested buying Rx580 Nitro+ 8gb Saphire... (Special Edition - blue one ) (1430Mhz / 8400 Memery clock )
I use too my hackintosh for photo editing... Do you recomand AMD better then Nvidia ?
Now i use Nvidia...but i would like some opinions...

Not yet. I'm actually still on Sierra until I get the RX580 (MSI) to avoid the hassle to get the NVidia working.
So yeah my recommendation is to get the RX580 for image editing and 3D.
I bet the card will run a lot hotter then my 970 but hopefully it will be as quiet.
Are you experiencing glitches or is it because of the hassle with drivers?
Good luck and keep us updated mate!

Not yet. I'm actually still on Sierra until I get the RX580 (MSI) to avoid the hassle to get the NVidia working.
So yeah my recommendation is to get the RX580 for image editing and 3D.
I bet the card will run a lot hotter then my 970 but hopefully it will be as quiet.
Are you experiencing glitches or is it because of the hassle with drivers?
Good luck and keep us updated mate!

There should be no need for lilu.kext and whatevergreen.kext if using Clover version 4296 or greater and RadeonDeInit=true

See my post here for the latest info on how well AMD graphics cards are supported in Sierra 10.12.6 and High Sierra.

See my post here for the latest info on how well AMD graphics cards are supported in Sierra 10.12.6 and High Sierra.

Looks like the MSI RX580 Gaming X 8GB has 2 ports of each so would this still qualify as a reference design card?
And by OOB you mean without any kext right?
I favour the MSI gaming editions because they are dead silent except when gaming.
Thanks for your input bro.

Looks like the MSI RX580 Gaming X 8GB has 2 ports of each so would this still qualify as a reference design card?...
It would seem so. However, knowing Apple's history for writing native drivers for a specific card, I'd venture a guess that it would work but with some drawbacks, like not waking up from sleep. I'd wait until the HS native drivers become more mature.
...And by OOB you mean without any kext right?...
Correct, but you have to use Clover r4297+ and have the config.plist paramenter set (see previous posts).

Bottom line: wait and see how others fair as HS matures to 10.13.3+. The RX 580 cost $300+ USD now, and I think they drop in price as the mining activity slows.

It would seem so. However, knowing Apple's history for writing native drivers for a specific card, I'd venture a guess that it would work but with some drawbacks, like not waking up from sleep. I'd wait until the HS native drivers become more mature.
Correct, but you have to use Clover r4297+ and have the config.plist paramenter set (see previous posts).

Bottom line: wait and see how others fair as HS matures to 10.13.3+. The RX 580 cost $300+ USD now, and I think they drop in price as the mining activity slows.

Alright thx for your input bro

I use now Rx580 8gb
High Sierra 10.13.2
Everything good ( lilu and whatevergreen kext )
is there any black screen boot and boot glitch?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back