Contribute
Register

Radeon RX 560 on 10.13.4 macOS High Sierra

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had not read the progress of the publications, sorry. Now I know that the problem lies mainly in the CPU. Thanks, of equal
hi sorry for the late reply but I haven't been around for a few months, the problem is that you don't have a supported CPU. while a Nvidia card will work just fine with that CPU an AMD card won't work , it doesn't matter if is a 580 or whatever AMD card because the AMD drivers that are on Mojave requires a CPU with some specific instructions set and your CPU doesn't have those instructions set, so in order to use a AMD card on Mojave you will need a CPU that has support for those instructions set

the good news is that you can use a Nvidia card and it will work just fine with full acceleration on Mojave without having to make any changes on clover, you will need something like a 650 or a 740, I tested both cards on Mojave with a E8400 core 2 CPU and it works just fine with full acceleration but you need to copy one file from High Sierra to Mojave

like I mentioned in my previous post

the only downside is that the 740 is only 2 gigs and you already have a 4 gigs video card but your 4 gb video card will not work with your current board or CPU, because of what I already explained but you can get a cheap 740 on ebay for 50 or less and have Mojave running in your 775 motherboard with you C2D

those are your 2 options, either change the board, cpu and ram and stayed with you card
not sure if your AMD cards works on Mojave either
or simply change your AMD video card for a Nvidia Kepler card and problem solved

sorry I took so long to answer

good luck

regards

Last edited:
hi sorry for the late reply but I haven't been around for a few months, the problem is that you don't have a supported CPU. while a Nvidia card will work just fine with that CPU an AMD card won't work , it doesn't matter if is a 580 or whatever AMD card because the AMD drivers that are on Mojave requires a CPU with some specific instructions set and your CPU doesn't have those instructions set, so in order to use a AMD card on Mojave you will need a CPU that has support for those instructions set

the good news is that you can use a Nvidia card and it will work just fine with full acceleration on Mojave without having to make any changes on clover, you will need something like a 650 or a 740, I tested both cards on Mojave with a E8400 core 2 CPU and it works just fine with full acceleration but you need to copy one file from High Sierra to Mojave

like I mentioned in my previous post

the only downside is that the 740 is only 2 gigs and you already have a 4 gigs video card but your 4 gb video card will not work with your current board or CPU, because of what I already explained but you can get a cheap 740 on ebay for 50 or less and have Mojave running in your 775 motherboard with you C2D

those are your 2 options, either change the board, cpu and ram and stayed with you card
not sure if your AMD cards works on Mojave either
or simply change your AMD video card for a Nvidia Kepler card and problem solved

sorry I took so long to answer

good luck

regards
Hello @ Gogeta-Blue, thank you very much for your response. Yes, at this moment I had already realized what you are confirming to me, that the conflict is coming from my CPU. I will wait until I update my system better. Thank you.

is not really the CPU, is that the AMD GPU kexts inside Mojave requieres a CPU with SSE4.2 instruction set
but the Nvidia cards doesn't requiere a CPU with those instructions set

the only difference is that you need to change the telemetry plugin file in Mojave
with the one from HS

you still need to do that even if you use a AMD card
but even if you change that file and you use a AMD card
the best you can do is boot or load the system but you won't have any acceleration

I think that is where you aT right now
you are able to load the system but you don't have acceleration

I also find out that there is a 4 GB version of the 740

is really up to you but my neighbor is running Mojave with his 775 motherboard
what I recommend is at least an SSD drive
so it doesn't run slow, an ssd drive will give you fast response and smoothness even with a 775 motherboard
you can get a 120 gb ssd drive for like 30 dollars on amazon
also you can get the 740 4GB version for 50 or less on ebay

whatever you decide to do
but you really don't need to change your system unless you really want to
just change the video card and problem solved
this time you are changing a 4GB for a 4GB so there is no loss there
and if you already have or own a ssd drive then all you need is the video card
also you can try to see if you can exchange your video card for a Nvidia card that is supported on Mojave
that way you don't have to spend any money
there are some alternatives

regards

Last edited:
is not really the CPU, is that the AMD GPU kexts inside Mojave requieres a CPU with SSE4.2 instruction set
but the Nvidia cards doesn't requiere a CPU with those instructions set

the only difference is that you need to change the telemetry plugin file in Mojave
with the one from HS

you still need to do that even if you use a AMD card
but even if you change that file and you use a AMD card
the best you can do is boot or load the system but you won't have any acceleration

I think that is where you aT right now
you are able to load the system but you don't have acceleration

I also find out that there is a 4 GB version of the 740

is really up to you but my neighbor is running Mojave with his 775 motherboard
what I recommend is at least an SSD drive
so it doesn't run slow, an ssd drive will give you fast response and smoothness even with a 775 motherboard
you can get a 120 gb ssd drive for like 30 dollars on amazon
also you can get the 740 4GB version for 50 or less on ebay

whatever you decide to do
but you really don't need to change your system unless you really want to
just change the video card and problem solved
this time you are changing a 4GB for a 4GB so there is no loss there
and if you already have or own a ssd drive then all you need is the video card
also you can try to see if you can exchange your video card for a Nvidia card that is supported on Mojave
that way you don't have to spend any money
there are some alternatives

regards
Thanks for the clarifications. In effect, I mentioned that the problem is the CPU because it is an old component that already needs to be replaced. I prefer to look to replace my motherboard and processor than to change my GPU. Previously I got High Sierra 10.13.6 with the same configuration but with a Geforce 8400 gs 1gb. Then I could run Mojave but with partial acceleration due to the old GPU. I managed to get the RX 470, now I need to update my other components. Grateful for your answers.

ok no problem I understand but I think you will end up updating or changing your entire system
because I'm not sure if the 470 is supported on Mojave, maybe it is but I'm not sure

I know I tested, 560 and 570 and did manage to get them working
but I need to to select or change some settings in order to make the card works on Mojave

as far as the Nvidia 650 or 740 they were like plug and play or better said , natively supported

also remember that changing your system will require for you to learn the new board
not everything will work the same way like before, you will have to learn the new configuration

I been doing hackintoshes since 10.4 tiger and I have a lot of experience
I have build many hackintoshes during the years

my previous build was a x99 system and I changed everything and builded a new x299 system

I thought I made the biggest mistake of my life and I was very upset
until I found out that I was missing one crucial setting
once I check that setting the system became smooth and stable
but I never needed to use that setting with my previous system

that is why I tell you that when you change your board also your setup configuration will also change
and I will take sometime, trial and error until you learn the new board

unless is a board that is already tested and there is a guide out there for that specific board
that is the easiest way, just keep that on mind

yes you can change your system, is yours, just make sure what ever you choose is compatible with Mojave

can't blame you for waiting to update because that is something that I also love doing all the time
so I fully understand you and respect your decision

best of luck

RX 470 is the same as RX 570. I have RX 480s that work in Mojave betas. They are all Polaris10 with the same device ID 0x67DF1002. The 570 and 580 series are a refresh of the 470, 480 boards. The only difference is the frequency boost.
RX 460 and RX 560 are Polaris 12, 21 boards. Device IDs 0x67EF1002, and 0x67FF1002.

Below is the link to the first RX 460 in Sierra beta outside of Apple/AMD inside testing.
Link

thanks Gigamax
I read that before some time ago about the 570's and 580's being refresh editions of the 470 and 480 respectively
and some of the difference being the boost clock on the newer cards

I had the funny feeling that they might work but I wasn't sure because of the device ID
and I don't own or haven't tested those cards

but thanks to your post it seems like they share the same device id or similar
what is important to know is that you confirmed that they work on Mojave

:headbang:

Hello,

I have installed High Sierra with my 560 and everything is working just fine!! Thank you so much for this thread.

The only thing that I cannot solve and I have searched for a while is working with two monitors connected to my rx560. If I connect my hdmi monitor and dvi monitor before boot, turn the hackintosh on I see both screens perfectly but it all stops when I hit the login screen.

Beyond this point, if I'm lucky, I see one monitor in some sort of blur with the high sierra background and the other monitor not working at all. When I'm not lucky I get no monitors at all. If I plug only one and after login in I connect the other one, my main screen looses brightness and the keyboard stops working.

I hope you can help me!

Hackintosh:
High Sierra 10.13.6
core i7 7900
mb gigabyte gaming b8
20gb ram ddr4 2400 mhz
psu 750w EVGA
monitor 1: Benq GW 2470 (hdmi)
monitor 2: Acer v226 hql (dvi)

Attachments

• Captura de pantalla 2019-05-13 a la(s) 9.00.21 a. m..png
    Captura de pantalla 2019-05-13 a la(s) 9.00.21 a. m..png
    91.6 KB · Views: 96
  • config.plist
    10.7 KB · Views: 105
Hello,

I have installed High Sierra with my 560 and everything is working just fine!! Thank you so much for this thread.

The only thing that I cannot solve and I have searched for a while is working with two monitors connected to my rx560. If I connect my hdmi monitor and dvi monitor before boot, turn the hackintosh on I see both screens perfectly but it all stops when I hit the login screen.

Beyond this point, if I'm lucky, I see one monitor in some sort of blur with the high sierra background and the other monitor not working at all. When I'm not lucky I get no monitors at all. If I plug only one and after login in I connect the other one, my main screen looses brightness and the keyboard stops working.

I hope you can help me!

Hackintosh:
High Sierra 10.13.6
core i7 7900
mb gigabyte gaming b8
20gb ram ddr4 2400 mhz
psu 750w EVGA
monitor 1: Benq GW 2470 (hdmi)
monitor 2: Acer v226 hql (dvi)

He easiest fix is to get a DisplayPort to DVI D adapter. My RX 460 works well with DisplayPort to HDMI adapter and the HDMI for 2 screens.
You may also be able to set framebuffer porting to activate the DVI D port but that is a bit tricky.

He easiest fix is to get a DisplayPort to DVI D adapter. My RX 460 works well with DisplayPort to HDMI adapter and the HDMI for 2 screens.
You may also be able to set framebuffer porting to activate the DVI D port but that is a bit tricky.

Thanks for your idea!

The only thing I don't understand is why I can use dual monitor with my other Hackintosh with MB MSI H310 M2 with 8th gen core i5. I thought it was related to the Mother Board.

Any thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back