Contribute
Register

Radeon RX 560 on 10.13.4 macOS High Sierra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry,

but can this help me too?

I could not yet try Gigamaxx' advice of removing CPUID 0x0106E0 but I will try as soon as possible.

Heres the coredisplayframeworks from 13.6, I know some were using the 13.4 version.
It goes to System/Library/Frameworks folder then rebuild caches.

Attachments

• CoreDisplay.framework.zip
    535 KB · Views: 90
no it didn't worked, it gets glitchy like high Sierra at the login screen, so that means that it's been successfully loaded
that's it for me, for older boards a Kepler card is recommended
one that works OOTB with Mojave

this is so funny
Nvidia owners are upset and moving to AMD cards because there are no web drivers for the 900, 1000 and 2000 series

but then in the other side of the fence there are AMD users that can't use their AMD cards either
because AMD GPU kexts in Mojave requires a CPU with SSE4.2 instruction set

in that case a Nvidia card will do just fine
I just loaded a 610 in Mojave with the old board but I can only run it as 1080p and if I switch resolution it freezes
but this is a common issue with that card that only works fine up to EC

but the card had metal support and it works just fine but at 1080p
so AMD users are switching to Nvidia and Nvidia users are switching to AMD

what a freaking compatibility issue apple

anyway if you are running an old bios board and you want High Sierra or Mojave then get an Nvidia card
just make sure is supported OOTB, High Sierra still has web driver support
there is no web driver support for Mojave yet

even if you get a supported AMD card it will not work on Mojave unless the CPU has support for the
SSE4.2 instruction set

best of luck guys

Last edited:
no it didn't worked, it gets glitchy like high Sierra at the login screen, so that means that it's been successfully loaded
that's it for me, for older boards a Kepler card is recommended
one that works OOTB with Mojave

this is so funny
Nvidia owners are upset and moving to AMD cards because there are no web drivers for the 900, 1000 and 2000 series

but then in the other side of the fence there are AMD users that can't use their AMD cards
because AMD kexts rehires a CPU with SSE4.2 instruction set

in that case a Nvidia card will do just fine
I just loaded a 610 in Mojave with the old board but I can only run it as 1080p and if I switch resolution it freezes
but this is a common issue with that card that only works fine up to EC

but the card had metal support and it will just fine but at 1080p
so AMD users are switching to Nvidia and Nvidia users are switching to amd

what a freaking compatibility issue apple

anyway if you re running an old bios board and you want High Sierra or Mojave then get an Nvidia card
just make sure is supported OOTB, High Sierra still has web driver support
there is no web driver support for Mojave yet

even if you get a supported AMD card it will not work on Mojave unless the CPU has support for the
SSE4.2 instruction set

best of luck guys
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...macos-high-sierra.249235/page-42#post-1867057

Sorry,

but can this help me too?

I could not yet try Gigamaxx' advice of removing CPUID 0x0106E0 but I will try as soon as possible.
Aanengsto my advice is to change the card for at least a Nvidia 650 that works OOTB in mojave
I sold the AMD 560 and bought a Nvidia 650 for 50 dollars and I installed in the old bios board and mojave runs perfectly good

the problem is that the cpu is missing some features or instructions set like we and gigamaxx already mentioned
so there is no way that the 560 card is going to work in mojave with that cpu

if you install that card "AMD 560" on a newer board that has SSE4.2 instruction set support
then the card is going to work just fine in mojave because the CPU has support for that interaction set

the problem is that the AMD drivers that included in Mojave requires a CPU with SSE4.2 instruction set support
and your CPU doesn't have support for that that's why you need to change the telemetry file

so you have 2 options, change the board , the cpu , the ram, so you can build another system and be able to use that card using the method that I told you

selecting the 2 options

or simply change the card for a Nvidia card, I think the 2nd option is better and cheaper
is up to you, but I got a Nvidia 560 for 50 dollars, can't beat that

so I already return the system to the owner and solved the problem
I change id my user name but I'm still the same person if you need help you can send me a message

Aanengsto my advice is to change the card for at least a Nvidia 650 that works OOTB in mojave
I sold the AMD 560 and bought a Nvidia 650 for 50 dollars and I installed in the old bios board and mojave runs perfectly good

the problem is that the cpu is missing some features or instructions set like we and gigamaxx already mentioned
so there is no way that the 560 card is going to work in mojave with that cpu

if you install that card "AMD 560" on a newer board that has SSE4.2 instruction set support
then the card is going to work just fine in mojave because the CPU has support for that interaction set

the problem is that the AMD drivers that included in Mojave requires a CPU with SSE4.2 instruction set support
and your CPU doesn't have support for that that's why you need to change the telemetry file

so you have 2 options, change the board , the cpu , the ram, so you can build another system and be able to use that card using the method that I told you

selecting the 2 options

or simply change the card for a Nvidia card, I think the 2nd option is better and cheaper
is up to you, but I got a Nvidia 560 for 50 dollars, can't beat that

so I already return the system to the owner and solved the problem
I change id my user name but I'm still the same person if you need help you can send me a message

Thank you very much. I'll see what's the best option for me!

Best regards

A lot of this came from following posts from @shuhung . A lot of credit goes to him.

Prior config on 10.13.3:
iMac18,3
RX560 with display port on 4k screen, Second monitor with DVI
HD630 intel (not connected but enabled in BIOS)

Updated clover (r4411).
Custom SSDT-AMD.aml to reinit the RX560 as well as select the Acre FrameBuffer. This was then combined with a connector patch in the config.plist

In this manner, I did NOT use whatevergreen or RadeonDeInit in config file.

Current Config on 10.13.4:
1) Removed: SSDT-AMD.aml from CLOVER->ACPI->patched
2) Removed: X4250.kext, AMD9xxxControllerPatcher.kext from CLOVER->Kexts->Other
3) Added: Acre.kext and RX560.kext to CLOVER->Kexts->Other
4) Change config.plist:
a) Set Inject ATI to false​
b) Disable / remove the connector patch for RX560​

See attached list for all kexts I'm using.

Rationale:

With this update Apple did major work with graphics and previous hacks and workarounds are not needed. Previously I used the SSDT-AMD.aml to reinit the RX560 as well as select the Acre FrameBuffer. This was then combined with a connector patch in the config.plist. The X4250 kext patched theAMDRadeonX4250.kext to enable HEVC decoding in the RX560 and the AMD9xxxControllerPatcher.kext patched some items such as CFG_FB_LIMIT.

With 10.13.4 the X4250Controller was removed. So the approach now is to use the generic framebuffer the OS constructs and tweak it to give it the properties from the Acre buffer.

The RX560.kext injects properties to 9500C + X4000 and should work with RX460 as well.
Acre.kext: inject Acre FB properties to common ATY framebuffer in 9500 FB controller.

Hi, I recently make a fresh installation of Hogh Sierra on my 6300 SFF with a new RX 560 4gb LP GPU as the recommendations for Final Cut Pro.

It's Easy make the GPU works.

I come from Sierra and GTX 1050 that have some issues, most important Black screen flashes on my dual monitor setup.

Now, i Have two major issues.

- System can't shutdown. I can shutdown normal if i unplug all the USB attached. (USB Wifi Wireless for example)
- I can't make work a dual system monitor throught the DVI cable. I didn't try with an HDMi.

My first screen is a Dell UP2516D connected via Dp. the second monitor is a non FHD screen with only DVI , not HDMI.

I want a system to make some projects on Final Cut, and Photoshop.

I attach my configlist , i think you can help me cause seems you and me want to use the same applications. I don't know how to copy the kext you have that aren't attached on your reply.

Lot of thanks

Attachments

• config.plist
    5.9 KB · Views: 84
Hi, I recently make a fresh installation of Hogh Sierra on my 6300 SFF with a new RX 560 4gb LP GPU as the recommendations for Final Cut Pro.

It's Easy make the GPU works.

I come from Sierra and GTX 1050 that have some issues, most important Black screen flashes on my dual monitor setup.

Now, i Have two major issues.

- System can't shutdown. I can shutdown normal if i unplug all the USB attached. (USB Wifi Wireless for example)
- I can't make work a dual system monitor throught the DVI cable. I didn't try with an HDMi.

My first screen is a Dell UP2516D connected via Dp. the second monitor is a non FHD screen with only DVI , not HDMI.

I want a system to make some projects on Final Cut, and Photoshop.

I attach my configlist , i think you can help me cause seems you and me want to use the same applications. I don't know how to copy the kext you have that aren't attached on your reply.

Lot of thanks

I am no longer using that method. You can see what I've done now here #54.

Hi I had exactly the same problem you described, it took me all night To figure it out but I manage to fixed the problem, now the system is fully bootable and pretty smooth
I was amazed on how smooth it was taking under consideration that is an old system
Anyway, the cpu is a 775 socket intel e8400 cpu core2duo

This is very important because in order to boot Mojave with any core 2 duo, there is a file that needs to be replace in order to avoid a kernel panic

i even installed Mojave on APFS using that old board
So for what I know, maybe I’m wrong but that rx560 is a bios only card, meaning it doesn’t support EUFI, so for people with newer boards you have to change your bios from EUFI to legacy

I will have to test that on my personal system

the first thing you need to do after installing Mojave is replace this file before attempting to actually boot the system
you need this file
com.apple.telemetry.plugin
From your High Sierra drive, the file is located here
/System/Library/UserEventPlugins

So replace the file in Mojave drive with the one from high Sierra drive
but if you boot the system now, you will get a black screen, just like you mentioned or you described
Even having lilu.kext and whatevergreen.kext in folder 10.14 or folder other, it doesn’t makes any difference you will still get the black screen

This is how I solved the problem, it took me a few combinations but I figure out at my last try
You can make permanent changes to your config file via clover configurator
But you can also do this via clover menu, options

Go to graphics config and select only these 2

Inject ati and load bios

remember only those 2 , do not check anything else or it will freeze at the login windows and you won’t be able to enter your password or login
When you select only those 2 then it will load to Mojave , so you can create your account and login to the desktop
I was trying with smbios 14.2 but then after being tired of getting the black screen
I changed them to iMac 18.3 as other users suggested
But I was still having the black screen until I started messing those settings and found the perfect combination

Maybe using smbios 14.2 doesn’t have any effect as I will have to test later again with 14.2. and it might still work but as right now I’m booting with 18.3 smbios, I will try with 14.2 later and report back
Change your smbios to 18.3 , install the file to the destination and select the 2 option at clover boot menu

If it boots for you like it did for me then you can add the 2 flags to clover config file using clover configurator , to make the changes permanent

Remember to use lilu.kext and whatevergreen.kext, I will also try later without those 2 files to see if they are really need it
But as right now I used them to boot the system and it boots just fine
Hope this can help you out

Best of luck
Regards

I tried this method with high Sierra 10.13.6 SU and it didn't worked but it does works on Mojave 10.14.1
so not only will you get your card to work but you also will be able to upgrade to Mojave
if you need the EFI folder, please just tell me

I'm booting this system in clover legacy mode because is a legacy bios board
I'm using the latest version of clover
Helllo @Gogeta-Blue. Sorry I entered this thread, I have an open publication, looking to solve a similar problem, but I have not received a response. My configuration is:

• Biostar G41D3
  • Core 2 Duo E7400
  • 8 gb RAM
  • AMD Radeon RX 470 4GB

I want to know if these tips can work in my system?The GPU is different, but I hope it works. I used the method of Dosdude1 for Mojave Patcher, applying the video patch and I get to start the system and I recognize the card as RX 470 5 mb, but it has no acceleration. I have made many attempts and I have not had success until now.

Helllo @Gogeta-Blue. Sorry I entered this thread, I have an open publication, looking to solve a similar problem, but I have not received a response. My configuration is:

• Biostar G41D3
  • Core 2 Duo E7400
  • 8 gb RAM
  • AMD Radeon RX 470 4GB
I want to know if these tips can work in my system?The GPU is different, but I hope it works. I used the method of Dosdude1 for Mojave Patcher, applying the video patch and I get to start the system and I recognize the card as RX 470 5 mb, but it has no acceleration. I have made many attempts and I have not had success until now.
I had not read the progress of the publications, sorry. Now I know that the problem lies mainly in the CPU. Thanks, of equal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back