Contribute
Register

Radeon RX 560 on 10.13.4 macOS High Sierra

Status
Not open for further replies.
The reason that I ask, I am looking at a Gigabyte RX560 4gb card (used, by a Mathematics PhD student to determine which of many cards works best for math calculations, yes it is a real thing, for $99. He has many other cards for sale, none used for mining or gaming, let me know if you are interested, I will post a link) and I wondered, with the new update to 13.5, that a Radeon card would magically work OOB without any other support. If anyone know, please post your results. I just did the update to 13.5, clean a whistle ;)

Where are these cards being sold? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Well, as @ashman70 says, I agree, no real difference :)

You are right though, High Sierra has got some serious support for this card, which considering Apple doesn't offer a Mac with this exact chipset is a surprise. With 10.13.4 I have no need for the Lilu & Whatevergreen kexts OR the RadeonDeInit flag. However I would qualify that by saying the card works OOB under Clover, which for all we know is doing all kinds of magic behind the scenes.

No difference between 10.13.4 and 10.13.5 though.

:thumbup:
Plugged this puppy in and... nothing else to do! :) What a relief!!!
The card is inaudible compared to the GTX1050.
2 billion.jpg

Last edited:
All I did when I changed from a Nvidia GTX1050 to the RX560 was use the Nvidia Driver Uninstall option in the drivers panel. This will revert back to how the system was before you installed them. I had nothing extra in config.plist (I did not inject Nvidia at all). The only other thing the Nvidia card used was NVRAM, but the RX560 uses that too.

Good luck if you make the swap!

:)
Something I have noticed, upon restart, I get a black screen, no access to either BIOS or CBM. I turn the monitor off and then on and then I am at desktop sign in. I have Whatevergreen in L/E and kexts>other. Any thoughts? Plus no sound Display port although it does show up in Sys Pref.

Last edited:
Something I have noticed, upon restart, I get a black screen, no access to either BIOS or CBM. I turn the monitor off and then on and then I am at desktop sign in. I have Whatevergreen in L/E and kexts>other. Any thoughts? Plus no sound Display port although it does show up in Sys Pref.

That sounds like the classic video signal being redirected elsewhere, especially if you can't even get into BIOS.

Checking the forums here shows you are not alone. It could be the difference between your monitor using DP1.1 and DP1.2 spec, or iGPU/GPU initialisation confusion.

Here are a couple of useful links:

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/black-screen-during-boot-with-display-port.190654/

and for 4k

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/black-screen-when-using-displayport-with-a-4k-display.221136/

That sounds like the classic video signal being redirected elsewhere, especially if you can't even get into BIOS.

Checking the forums here shows you are not alone. It could be the difference between your monitor using DP1.1 and DP1.2 spec, or iGPU/GPU initialisation confusion.

Here are a couple of useful links:

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/black-screen-during-boot-with-display-port.190654/

and for 4k

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/black-screen-when-using-displayport-with-a-4k-display.221136/

Unfortunately, the display does not give me the option of choosing between 1.1 and 1.2 :(

How would I look into this?

I think you already have because you installed Whatevergreen. Back in the "old days" an unsupported AMD GPU gave a black screen during the boot process up until the log-in screen. There is a lot of discussion here about the reasons.

I haven't seen any extra options in my BIOS for DP output, only the Internal-GPU or PCI-e GPU. For my system I have the iGPU set to Auto, which means it is basically Off when the OS kicks-in, and PCI-e Initialising first. With Whatevergreen (or Radeon De-Init set in config.plist) the black screen problem is mostly cured. However as you have installed Lilu and Whatevergreen it must be some other setting.:crazy:

I would check what spec your DP monitor has (1.1 or 1.2 etc) and then do some searching here to see if anyone can offer guidance from personal experience etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back